Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

putting henry armstrong in the top 3 p4p is nuts....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putting henry armstrong in the top 3 p4p is nuts....

he gets credit for jumping to 126 to 147 and ko damn near everybody but..........

he lost twice at 126 before jumping weights...

he was only in his prime for 2 years....

and last but not least his terrible repitive style.....does anybody think this would work against great movers...imagine if henry armstrong and larry holmes were the same size, holmes would embarrass him....thats why i rank larry holmes above armstrong p4p, you cant penalize him for not moving up in weight because he couldnt....

what about guys who could poleaxe you with one punch....do you think henry armstrong could beat them, alotta guys he fought had terrible ko records....

he belongs in the top 10 for his accomplishments but out of all greats hes easiest to beat....

the man held three titles simultaneously when there were only eight in total.

you're nuts.

Comment

The only thing repetetive about Armstrong's style was that he kept winning.. 149 times to be precise.. Oh, and only 101 KO's..
      Out of the 13 world champs that he fought only Ray Robinson & Fritzie Zivic got the better of him, and those losses occurred towards the end of his career..
      I think he should be in eveyones top 3..
      With regard to fighting anyone who could poleaxe you with one punch, he comfortably beat former LW champ, Lew Jenkins twice.. Jenkins was without doubt, one of the hardest 1 punch KO merchants of all time..
      Last edited by mickey malone; 10-11-2009, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billionaire View Post
        he gets credit for jumping to 126 to 147 and ko damn near everybody but..........

he lost twice at 126 before jumping weights...

he was only in his prime for 2 years....

and last but not least his terrible repitive style.....does anybody think this would work against great movers...imagine if henry armstrong and larry holmes were the same size, holmes would embarrass him....thats why i rank larry holmes above armstrong p4p, you cant penalize him for not moving up in weight because he couldnt....

what about guys who could poleaxe you with one punch....do you think henry armstrong could beat them, alotta guys he fought had terrible ko records....

he belongs in the top 10 for his accomplishments but out of all greats hes easiest to beat....

I'm putting him up to #1 now.

Comment

Dude was a relentless beast. And basicaly held half of the championships at once

Comment

He held three world championships, simultaneously, when there was only eight. Some even think he deserved to have a fourth one (the middleweight) but didn't because of the, supposedly, crooked ways of a referee who scored the fight a draw.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
              The only thing repetetive about Armstrong's style was that he kept winning.. 149 times to be precise.. Oh, and only 101 KO's..
              Out of the 13 world champs that he fought only Ray Robinson & Fritzie Zivic got the better of him, and those losses occurred towards the end of his career..
              With regard to fighting anyone who could poleaxe you with one punch, he comfortably beat former LW champ, Lew Jenkins twice.. Jenkins was without doubt, one of the hardest 1 punch KO merchants of all time..
              He also fought Ceferino Garcia twice, a welterweight and a middleweight who stopped many good fighters with one punch. Armstrong took his best punches.

Armstrong's style worked very well against movers, much like Joe Frazier's. He would cut off the ring and wear them down.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                i just hit up boxrec and lew jenkins lost 9 of his previos 10 fights before armstrong, so please explain....

also saying armstrong shouldve won the middleweight title is deceptive because he fought the same guy he beat at welterweight....thats like pac winning the title from marquez at 130 then if he won the title from him at 135 i could only imagine the hate he'd get...

Comment

Originally posted by billionaire View Post
                  i just hit up boxrec and lew jenkins lost 9 of his previos 10 fights before armstrong, so please explain....

also saying armstrong shouldve won the middleweight title is deceptive because he fought the same guy he beat at welterweight....thats like pac winning the title from marquez at 130 then if he won the title from him at 135 i could only imagine the hate he'd get...
                  You shouldn't just look at boxrec. Jenkins and Armstrong fought twice, once when both were washed up, another time when Jenkins was the lightweight champion of the world and Armstrong the welterweight champion of the world. It was a huge fight with Jenkins having KO'd all the top contenders of his division in the early rounds prior to facing Armstrong.

Do you think Pacquiao would have gotten hate had he beaten Marquez at 135 after Marquez defeated Casamayor and Diaz? I don't think so.

Garcia was also a much bigger man than Armstrong who claimed he was better off fighting at 160. After losing to Armstrong at 147, he had gone onto KO number 1 ranked middleweight Fred Apostoli as well as an up & coming Lloyd Marshall.
                  Last edited by TheGreatA; 10-11-2009, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                    You shouldn't just look at boxrec. Jenkins and Armstrong fought twice, once when both were washed up, another time when Jenkins was the lightweight champion of the world and Armstrong the welterweight champion of the world. It was a huge fight with Jenkins having KO'd all the top contenders of his division in the early rounds prior to facing Armstrong.

Do you think Pacquiao would have gotten hate had he beaten Marquez at 135 after Marquez defeated Casamayor and Diaz? I don't think so.

Garcia was also a much bigger man than Armstrong who claimed he was better off fighting at 160. After losing to Armstrong at 147, he had gone onto KO number 1 ranked middleweight Fred Apostoli as well as an up & coming Lloyd Marshall.
                    your fight, i was wrong.....

still everytime i see a video wonder why no one hit him with a uppercut when he ducked down....

Comment

Working...
                    X