Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: DiBella: Pay-Per-View is Dying; Wilder-Joshua Not a PPV Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    I don't see that. I believe he has quotes from a decade & change ago saying he's anti-PPV in that first article about him being involved in boxing back when his only guy was Forrest.

Whats the evidence of PPV dying?

The UFC is doing record PPV's & has been growing bigger for years with their matchmaking structure that allows the cream to rise to the top quick. Canelo is about to become the 10th boxer to have two or more 1M+ PPV's in boxing history with this Chavez Jr. fight in May. Joshua is well on his way into becoming a PPV star in the UK & maybe the world soon or making one of the guy who beats him perhaps.

PPV in boxing overall is suffering at the moment cuz there is no clearly defined PPV king cuz the #1 PPV guy beat the #2 PPV guy & no one beat the #1 PPV guy before he retired. You can't build new PPV stars all that quick when the torch never got passed to the next guy. Plus boxing has been a brand/name heavy sport for the last few decades as far as PPV is concerned & it takes time to grow names/a brand when you need to build them up. Rome wasn't built in a day.

But I'm rooting for PPV to die don't get me wrong. I look forward to p$ssing on the grave of PPV boxing at some point, but its a ways down the road still & I don't even know if the destination is seeable yet.
    UFC only has two PPV stars, one of whom was just blown completely off the map, and one on paternity leave trying to get into boxing. The rest of their PPVs do GGG numbers

Truth is they want out of the PPV gAme as see with Fox, fight nights, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
      Yeah maybe its better that way in the states shoulder....but over here it would do over a million in ppv sells and pack 90,000k into wembley stadium...i really don't think Dibella would want to send deontay wilder to his doom against joshua on Free t.v knowing that will probably be the end of deontay wilders earning potential....to much risk with no coin...Unless showtime are willing to stump up serious money and make the fight in the states i cant see anyway that fight will not take place in the uk..if that stick the fight on at 3 am here and beam it back to america and showtime charge the same price as we do over here ( $22 ) they will still make decent numbers plus the numbers in the uk....theres great earning potential m8 for everybody
      At this point the fight should take place in the UK. Let it be held where people are actually excited and care about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Its not all that unpredictable when you are putting so many elite fighters in bouts where they are -500 to -10,000 betting favorites. As an avid sports bettor finding fights favorite worth betting on where I can win more than $20 per $100 bet is a rare find.

The whole sport of boxing seems in a state of marination lol. Promising amateurs turn pro fighting losers to build up their records to one day get to the point of prospects who fight journeymen to get to the point of becoming a contender fighting fringe contenders to become champions, often via vacant titles or just not via the guy who beat the guy who beat the guy, to fight lesser top 10 contenders & undeserving mandatory's til they can cash out vs another guy who took a road like they did on PPV about 12-24 months after fans started wanting to see the fight between those top 2 guys.

Obviously I agree with this after my rant above, but I think the people are the only problem. The nature of boxing is whatever its made to be. Boxing like any sport is under the control of its masters. And the masters of boxing are the alphabet groups, the networks, the commissions & the promoters. The networks just wanna show something on TV & don't want or necessarily care to use the power they have in boxing per se. The commissions are just trying to get their little piece of the pie & not f#ck sh^t up. The alphabet groups & promoters are the biggest bad guys keeping boxing where its at as they have the most power to make the boxing world they wanna create & they've created a boxing world full of marinating at all levels of the sport with a confusion maze of "world" champions & rankings.
        Guys in boxing still come on quick and fall off quickly. it is a tough sport to sustain success, which is why guys that can hang around at the top of the sport are valuable commodities.

Boxing has always kind of been like that because no one ever wants anyone to get over at their expense, because anytime a guy loses a big fight a competitor then gets stronger while your guy takes a hit. With the way the sport is set up it can really only be played one way if you are smart about it. when there are a couple guys playing that game it works out alright but when everyone is acting smart refusing to ever let anyone get a leg up on then things grind to a halt.

Like you could make a fight with Arum where his guy has an advantage but if he is never going to let me get that back why would I ever deal with him, same with Haymon, Oscar or anyone really.

The sport is run as a zero sum game, which is kind of true but if those players actually came together and did some mutually beneficial stuff they could grow the pie rather than constantly trying to cut each others throat over a piece of pie. It is much easier said than done especially if a guy is risking a lot of money.

Comment

PPV isn't doing well in America because it costs too much and the cards are literally one fight cards.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
            Guys in boxing still come on quick and fall off quickly. it is a tough sport to sustain success, which is why guys that can hang around at the top of the sport are valuable commodities.

Boxing has always kind of been like that because no one ever wants anyone to get over at their expense, because anytime a guy loses a big fight a competitor then gets stronger while your guy takes a hit. With the way the sport is set up it can really only be played one way if you are smart about it. when there are a couple guys playing that game it works out alright but when everyone is acting smart refusing to ever let anyone get a leg up on then things grind to a halt.

Like you could make a fight with Arum where his guy has an advantage but if he is never going to let me get that back why would I ever deal with him, same with Haymon, Oscar or anyone really.

The sport is run as a zero sum game, which is kind of true but if those players actually came together and did some mutually beneficial stuff they could grow the pie rather than constantly trying to cut each others throat over a piece of pie. It is much easier said than done especially if a guy is risking a lot of money.
            LOL yea its like some art of war stuff....out of the ring with getting fights made before the real fight even starts. Everyone is playing the same game now. More people know the score & how to work it to their best vantage point.

But idk that you can even make something mutually beneficial with how things are setup now cuz if 2 guys fight, one guy wins & that guy moves up & the guy who lost & his promoter & manager & hell even his network potentially could be moving down. Things are always moving up & down when wins & losses happen.

Idk how you could make that mutually beneficial unless people are swapping pieces of each others bottom line upon agreeing to fight so even if I lose or my fighter loses than when you win in the future I'm getting something. Kinda like how James J. Braddock got a piece of Joe Louis for years after there fight I believe. And how Sonny Liston used to say he got a piece of Ali's purses for awhile after their fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra_ View Post
              PPV isn't doing well in America because it costs too much and the cards are literally one fight cards.
              That definitely isn't helping. The biggest problem is the fights people most wanna see don't happen very timely turning off the audience as a whole. But yea just because the one fight PPV card was the original model for PPV doesn't mean that you don't ever switch things up or move things forward when the market is saying this isn't working anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by betmen View Post
                bull****! if baby joshua win his next fight, he'll be ppv star
                Wilder will never be a PPV star in USA, Anthony Joshua will sell PPV's no matter what and the person speaking doesn't know this obviously...
                Joshua would destroy a bum like Wilder its honestly a man against a man child who has no balls and likely will never pursue the fight with Joshua.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  At this point the fight should take place in the UK. Let it be held where people are actually excited and care about it.
                  Isn't that case with most big named British fighters?
                  If Leo Santa Cruz wasn't so set on having another home fight, he could have took the fight in Britain and likely got paid better.
                  Even with Shawn Porter Vs. Kell Brook, our British fighters just have a better following, Boxing is still a very popular sport here where the PPV module works.

Comment

Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
                    Joshua gets around 450,000 / 500,000 buys when he has a supportive card. The dillian Whyte fight was successful, and having whyte chisora basically carry the Molina card made sure of big ppv numbers.

For a market the size of the UK, he generates approximately a 2% buy rate in accordance with the household market, more than the mayweather pac fight did in the states as the 4.6 million buys werent all from the USA.

Joshua is nowhere near the PPV pull of mayweather in general, and he isnt anything in the states whatsoever.
                    DiBella is correct in saying it isnt a PPV fight in the states, it should be free to air.

It wont be, and it'll obviously be PPV here in the UK.

Shame it cant be met in the middle and have the US customers charged 30 bucks or so, so its the same price as what we pay.
                    What is wrong with putting Wilder vs Joshua for the undisputed heavyweight championship of the world on Showtime?

Wilder's been able to draw a really good-sized audience on terrestrial TV, but you've got to find a means to monetize the US TV rights for arguably the biggest heavyweight title fight since the last big one.

IF CBS is ready to lay out the money, great; otherwise, hope that Showtime puts up the money to air the fight or be ready for SHOPPV.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
                      That is not something Schaefer is willing to admit, "Mikey is the next PPV star." Haymon should fire this guy for contradicting his boss.
                      Mikey Garcia is a different case; Richard Schaefer is being positioned to lead the massive shows coming from CA/NV, and Mikey Garcia clearly has the pieces to be the top star coming from Schaefer's "territory", so to speak (the only way I've come to rationalize Haymon's plan has been to look back to the structure of the old National Wrestling Alliance).

There was obviously some hyperbole, but Schaefer's statement wasn't wrong.

Deontay Wilder is a star but he's yet to set himself as a superstar just yet; if he can unify the heavyweight crown, on national TV, in front of 3-5 million people and with the media push that would come with the fight, he'd emerge as a superstar going forward (with the exclusive move to PPV broadcast as a near economic reality).

Comment

Working...
                      X