Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Calzaghe HOFer worthy and is he an ATG??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daggum View Post
    im guessing you haven't seen him fight. you can name all his accomplishments but when you watch him do actual "boxing" you will **** your pants in laughter.
    Wasnt you one of the old members that picked Lacy to beat Calzaghe???
    What happend did you have to get a new account ??? shame on you !

Comment

Originally posted by Guled View Post
      Calzaghe dominated a weak division against nobodies and is LHW for beating a 43 year old man not a prime fight at LHW but his SMW is not questionable.
      People forget that Calzaghe isnt in his prime either. I would argue Calzaghes prime was around 1998 - 2003.

As far as I'm concerned, the opportunitys for big fights did not present themselves until late on in Calzaghes career. In that time he has beaten Lacy, who at the time was being heralded as the new Mike Tyson. He beat Kessler, who was a double belt holder. And he beat Hopkins, who had previously beaten Wright and Tarver in UD's. The fact is, Calzaghe is the best light heavyweight, and the best super middleweight, and he is a ten year world champion.

In the stage of Calzaghes life when was beating Lacy, Kessler and Hopkins. Hopkins and Jones were losing to the likes of Johnson, Tarver, and Taylor. Calzaghe would beat all of the aforementioned. I dont think the thread question should be aimed at Calzaghe.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
        HOF, yes. 20+ title defenses in over 10 years as a titlist, unified the division, then moved up in weight to beat the linear champion.

ATG, not sure.
        man i can get 20+ defense against sub par fighters, and the hopkins figth was widely disputed, imo he lost, he diddnt really land a solid punch all fight, atg SMW deff ill vote him in on that. no question

Comment

Originally posted by garryd View Post
          Wasnt you one of the old members that picked Lacy to beat Calzaghe???
          What happend did you have to get a new account ??? shame on you !
          i still pick lacy by ko in the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by SkilledBoxer View Post
            man i can get 20+ defense against sub par fighters,
            Maybe you should take up boxing then???
            Five TITLEs with 21 defences against 8 world champions over 10 years ,gets you in any where in my book!

Comment

Originally posted by SkilledBoxer View Post
              man i can get 20+ defense against sub par fighters, and the hopkins figth was widely disputed, imo he lost, he diddnt really land a solid punch all fight, atg SMW deff ill vote him in on that. no question
              They weren't all sub par fighters, he most certainly did have some fighters who didn't deserve a shot at him but it wasn't like that all the time, he did beat some top contenders and past titlists.

I think there are more people that think he won the Hopkins fight than those who think he lost.

Comment

Um, I don't really think so. I mean, he has a brilliant unbeaten record but he's never had that defining fight. He beat 43-year old Hopkins (who even Calzaghe admitted was old with his frequent grandfather jokes in the build-up, devaluing the entire fight and the achievement of victory in the process) and didn't look particularly golden doing it...he didn't go the States and seek out the big fights until he was 36, and big fights with other top opponents at their best (DM, Roy Jones for example) slipped by while he fought trumped-up challengers in his own backyard. Beating a faded Eubank and Hopkins doesn't make you HOF regardless of your record. Beating Roy Jones at 39 without a significant win in like 4 or 5 years doesn't either. Screw that. The Kessler win is important, but lets see what Kessler can do now, because he hasn't exactly passed the litmus test either.

Comment

Originally posted by garryd View Post
                  Maybe you should take up boxing then???
                  Five TITLEs with 21 defences against 8 world champions over 10 years ,gets you in any where in my book!
                  why are you acting like the wbo was a legit sought after belt? it wasn't for most of his defenses making them irrelevant. he's a fraud. WINDMILL TIME

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                    HOF, yes. 20+ title defenses in over 10 years as a titlist, unified the division, then moved up in weight to beat the linear champion.

ATG, not sure.
                    good post.

Comment

i think he is probably going to be a HoFer

to me he just doesnt have the resume to be a shoo in, but i can understand his inclusion

as for ATG....you have to be joking

NO WAY should joe be mentioned in the same breath as robinson, leonard, ali, duran etc

Comment

Working...
                      X