No announcement yet.

Why didn't Hagler challenge himself

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
    Roy Jones mops the floor with Spinks. Same day weigh in 175lbs back then is like a modern day middleweight. I love how these same day weigh in fighters get so vastly overrated compared to modern day weigh in fighters. The old time fighters by weight were much smaller compared to today.
    That's ridiculous. Spinks was
    6' 2 1/2 inches. Roy was 5'11.
    Spinks had a 2 inch reach advantage. Spinks had the legs of a heavyweight. He was simply a bigger man.

Comment

Is Hagler an atg? MOst definitely.

Should he be ranked as highly as he often is (as I did myself)? I do not think so.

I brought this point up some months back. Hagler was THE guy at mw and his 3 best opponents were guys moving up in weight multiple times. He had the perfect foil in THE guy at lhw but he did not take it. Which is why Leonard, Duran and Hearns should be ranked higher. The former 2 mostly are.

I stress however that none of this takes away from his skillset, toughness and the fact that he beat good mws and 9/10 times looked levels above them.

Comment

Interesting that Marvin Hagler fought during a era, when there was same day weigh in's! If Gennady Golovkin was forced to take a same day weigh in, just imagine how much his performance will decrease at 160!

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
          Interesting that Marvin Hagler fought during a era, when there was same day weigh in's! If Gennady Golovkin was forced to take a same day weigh in, just imagine how much his performance will decrease at 160!
          If anything he would be better. Your hate for GGG is really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
            Is Hagler an atg? MOst definitely.

Should he be ranked as highly as he often is (as I did myself)? I do not think so.

I brought this point up some months back. Hagler was THE guy at mw and his 3 best opponents were guys moving up in weight multiple times. He had the perfect foil in THE guy at lhw but he did not take it. Which is why Leonard, Duran and Hearns should be ranked higher. The former 2 mostly are.

I stress however that none of this takes away from his skillset, toughness and the fact that he beat good mws and 9/10 times looked levels above them.
            Who do ya'll have that is ranked higher???

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
              That's ridiculous. Spinks was
              6' 2 1/2 inches. Roy was 5'11.
              Spinks had a 2 inch reach advantage. Spinks had the legs of a heavyweight. He was simply a bigger man.
              Did you not see where I specified weight? Same day weigh in fighters were smaller than the weight classes today in weight. There is no denying it. Taller don't always translate to bigger... is Paul Williams a "bigger man" than Mike Tyson?

Comment

People protecting hagler from not going to 175 but crucifying ggg for not "challenging" himself

Comment

Originally posted by Teetotaler View Post
                  People protecting hagler from not going to 175 but crucifying ggg for not "challenging" himself
                  Yes because 168 and 175 are totally the same, Hagler was as big as todays MW's and there's loads of ATG fighters moving to MW to challenge Golovkin isn't there?

Comment

Originally posted by Teetotaler View Post

GG's team said anybody from 154 to 168

Don't play dumb stumpy.

Comment

Hagler was a small Middleweight. He was too big to move down but even smaller to move up.

I wouldn't like his chances against the Matthew Saad Muhammad's, Dwight Qawi Muhammad's and the Michael Spinks' of the world or even the Eddie Mustafa's of the world.

He'll be giving up to many size advantages in that 175 lbs weight division.

Comment

Working...
                      X