Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benny Leonard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The idea that anybody might "box Duran's ears off" seems nuts to me. He moved *up* to fight a prime (Sugar Ray) Leonard and beat him pretty soundly. Duran could lose fights, but in his prime nobody could ever box his ears off.

(In anticipation of expected replies) The rematch with Leonard would never have happened with a guy like Benny Leonard who fought at a time when bicycling was strictly not acceptable in the ring. ;^>

Comment

Originally posted by titoi View Post
      The idea that anybody might "box Duran's ears off" seems nuts to me. He moved *up* to fight a prime (Sugar Ray) Leonard and beat him pretty soundly. Duran could lose fights, but in his prime nobody could ever box his ears off.

(In anticipation of expected replies) The rematch with Leonard would never have happened with a guy like Benny Leonard who fought at a time when bicycling was strictly not acceptable in the ring. ;^>
      Well, here's the problem with that theory.....Leonard fought Duran's fight in Mmontreal because he, as a young kid whose balls had been questioned, got suckered into the machismo game.

Now, that being said, odds are you are right because Duran at 135 was much faster than Duran at 147 or 154 and Leonard (Benny)-Duran would have been a back and forth war, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by titoi View Post

Yes, I see your point.

Durn did get out-boxed by Leonard in their second meeting though.

Just don't fight his fight.

The whole point of the video though was to show that fighters weren't as "crude" as some may believe them to be.

It's hard to judge talent vs. talent when comparing Eras.

I still think Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, etc. could learn how to play in today's era.
        Last edited by Benny Leonard; 02-25-2007, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
          Yes, I see your point.

Durn did get out-boxed by Leonard in their second meeting though.

Just don't fight his fight.

The whole point of the video though was to show that fighters weren't as "crude" as some may believe them to be.

It's hard to judge talent vs. talent when comparing Eras.

I still think Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, etc. could learn how to play in today's era.
          Yeah - that vid was something else. Not even a little bit crude - seriously gorgeous fighting!

I agree that if you can get Duran (or really any boxer) off their game you can beat them. But getting Duran off his game in his prime really meant "running for your life" and praying the ref/judges would tolerate it (and he wouldn't quit in disgust). I don't know anything more about Benny Leonard than what you've shown us, so IDK, but I at least like to think he would have fought a more straightup fight with a Duran than in the infamous rematch with the later Leonard ;^>

While Benny fought an obviously smart fight against that mean puncher, he also clearly wasn't riding a bicycle!

Comment

A prime trinidad couldn't KO a shot whitaker, benny leonard will not ko him,niether will duran.

Pep got ko'd by a guy from his own weight class, while whitaker moved up several weight classes and never got ko'd. Maybe his defence was indeed superior.

Comment

Originally posted by brownpimp88 View Post
              A prime trinidad couldn't KO a shot whitaker, benny leonard will not ko him,niether will duran.

Pep got ko'd by a guy from his own weight class, while whitaker moved up several weight classes and never got ko'd. Maybe his defence was indeed superior.
              Sandy Saddler was p4p one of the hardest hitters in boxing history.

Comment

The poster Benny Leonard has to be Juy Juy........

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964 View Post
                  Sandy Saddler was p4p one of the hardest hitters in boxing history.
                  Thats P4p, you have to realize that vasquez and trinidad are punchers and they are twice the size of whitaker. Neither man knocked him out, thats ultimate defence pal. Remember, vasquez was the guy that terry norris avoided, he knew he would see visions of his fight with simon brown and julian jackson, if he had to fight vasquez.

Comment

Originally posted by brownpimp88 View Post
                    Thats P4p, you have to realize that vasquez and trinidad are punchers and they are twice the size of whitaker. Neither man knocked him out, thats ultimate defence pal. Remember, vasquez was the guy that terry norris avoided, he knew he would see visions of his fight with simon brown and julian jackson, if he had to fight vasquez.
                    Whitaker wasn't in a car crash either that almost killed him.

Comment

Benny Leonard and Julio Ceasar Chavez are very similar, both men are major legends and they had great careers. However, niether man defeated a truly GREAT fighter. Both of them beat alot of very good or good fighters. Pernell whitaker indeed beat another all time great named azumah nelson. Look you can say nelson wasnt that good at 135 or he was a bit past is peak, i dont care. The fact of the matter is that pernell beat an elite all time great, chavez and benny leonard did not do that.

Chavez beat 3 very good fighters like camacho, rosario and meldrick taylor. Benny leonard beat 3 very good fighters like tendler, welsh and kansas. Are either of these men elites in thier respective division, nope. Azumah nelson is considered top 5 in one division and top 10 in another. You cant get more elite than that.
                      Last edited by brownpimp88; 02-26-2007, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X