Forum Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Boxing Scene Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2021, 06:59 AM #31
Mammoth Mammoth is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ishkonigan
Posts: 27,531
Quoted: 12267 Post(s)
Rep Power: 64
Mammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 357,871.54
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 357,871.54
shut the fook up - Boxing Goat Should be a great fight... - anthonydavid11 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakuwaqa View Post
Does you wife look ‘native’? I’ve actually got indigenous family in Canada also. Cree Indian cousins who live in Chibougamau and Inuit cousins who live in Kuujjuaq.
He said she's close to full so I'm sure she does
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:03 AM #32
YoungManRumble YoungManRumble is online now
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,863
Quoted: 2017 Post(s)
Rep Power: 11
YoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 129,673.54
Bank: 6,733.85
Total Points: 136,407.39
Happy New Year...In Japan. - 1hourRun 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakuwaqa View Post
Does you wife look ‘native’? I’ve actually got indigenous family in Canada also. Cree Indian cousins who live in Chibougamau and Inuit cousins who live in Kuujjuaq.
Yes she very much so does and has a lot of the west coast native features. Though she could probably pass for a black or asian woman also, depending on how tan she is.

And that's interesting to hear. Where are you from again?
I've heard of Chibougamau but unfamiliar with Kuujjuaq. I see it's in Quebec too though. Unfortunately seems like one of the more racist provinces along with Alberta which is like mini Texas in Canada or more like Montana I guess...
YoungManRumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:12 AM #33
Dakuwaqa Dakuwaqa is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,330
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Rep Power: 14
Dakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 26,186.78
Bank: 1,155.62
Total Points: 27,342.40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungManRumble View Post
Yes she very much so does and has a lot of the west coast native features. Though she could probably pass for a black or asian woman also, depending on how tan she is.

And that's interesting to hear. Where are you from again?
I've heard of Chibougamau but unfamiliar with Kuujjuaq. I see it's in Quebec too though. Unfortunately seems like one of the more racist provinces along with Alberta which is like mini Texas in Canada or more like Montana I guess...
I’m from the UK but my grandads sister moved to Quebec decades ago. One of her kids married a First Nation woman and the other a Inuit. Their children have now had kids with native peoples also.

You’re right about Quebec. My Cree cousin once told me about all the bull**** she had to put up with living in Quebec.
Dakuwaqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:28 AM #34
YoungManRumble YoungManRumble is online now
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,863
Quoted: 2017 Post(s)
Rep Power: 11
YoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond reputeYoungManRumble has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 129,673.54
Bank: 6,733.85
Total Points: 136,407.39
Happy New Year...In Japan. - 1hourRun 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
I don't know much about Canada's history with indigenous people. If you know of any interesting books it'd be appreciated.
Can't say I know any good titles, but any articles or books on the Canadian Indian residential school system might be a good place to start. One of our greatest shames that I'm not sure a lot of people know about.
YoungManRumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:34 AM #35
Mammoth Mammoth is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ishkonigan
Posts: 27,531
Quoted: 12267 Post(s)
Rep Power: 64
Mammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 357,871.54
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 357,871.54
shut the fook up - Boxing Goat Should be a great fight... - anthonydavid11 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungManRumble View Post
Can't say I know any good titles, but any articles or books on the Canadian Indian residential school system might be a good place to start. One of our greatest shames that I'm not sure a lot of people know about.
Yes, similar to what happened here with boarding schools. Seems like the US and Canada were dead set on giving us generations worth of disfunction.

Once we identify why things are the way they are it makes it a little easier anyway. It took a while before I was able to put things in the right perspective.
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:46 AM #36
Citizen Koba Citizen Koba is online now
GRANDPA KOBA!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 14,414
Quoted: 6920 Post(s)
Rep Power: 37
Citizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 38,954.64
Bank: 2,748,354.04
Total Points: 2,787,308.68
No Message - MDPopescu giving gifts to legends - sugarsmosley to wipe the tears when bhop beats kovalev - jas knows his boxing - jas a good poster - jas 
Congrats on the newborn! - -KULT- Happy Father's Day, and congrats! :D - DionysusX Congrats! - MDPopescu Great posting, bro... - Tony Trick-Pony Cheers bro - Chollo Vista 
Let's go champ! - HeadBodyBodyBody 
Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - 1hourRun 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungManRumble View Post
Can't say I know any good titles, but any articles or books on the Canadian Indian residential school system might be a good place to start. One of our greatest shames that I'm not sure a lot of people know about.
Colonialists and empire builders have understood since ancient times that the strength of a people lies in it's unity which generally flows from it's language, histories and cultural traditions. One of the reasons the British went to great lengths to undermine traditional beliefs and oral histories, stamp out indigenous languages and 're-educate' folks kids wherever they went. Church was always a big part of that too... guns on the one hand, salvation on the other... like 'your folk mighta been murdered but don't worry you'll be OK in the afterlife if you do as you're told'..

Last edited by Citizen Koba; 01-14-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Citizen Koba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:53 AM #37
Citizen Koba Citizen Koba is online now
GRANDPA KOBA!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 14,414
Quoted: 6920 Post(s)
Rep Power: 37
Citizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond reputeCitizen Koba has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 38,954.64
Bank: 2,748,354.04
Total Points: 2,787,308.68
No Message - MDPopescu giving gifts to legends - sugarsmosley to wipe the tears when bhop beats kovalev - jas knows his boxing - jas a good poster - jas 
Congrats on the newborn! - -KULT- Happy Father's Day, and congrats! :D - DionysusX Congrats! - MDPopescu Great posting, bro... - Tony Trick-Pony Cheers bro - Chollo Vista 
Let's go champ! - HeadBodyBodyBody 
Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - 1hourRun 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
Yes, similar to what happened here with boarding schools. Seems like the US and Canada were dead set on giving us generations worth of disfunction.

Once we identify why things are the way they are it makes it a little easier anyway. It took a while before I was able to put things in the right perspective.
British Empire did similar right across it's empire, man. I'd suspect the other Imperial powers did too, but I ain't as informed on the French or Dutch colonial histories. All about control and eliminating threats, but mainly what it achieved was just causing a whole shitload of misery and dysfunction and piled up resntment for the future... I know less about the US systems but I'd imagine they're broadly the same... same kinda racialist philosophy behind it anyway.
Citizen Koba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:00 AM #38
Mammoth Mammoth is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ishkonigan
Posts: 27,531
Quoted: 12267 Post(s)
Rep Power: 64
Mammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 357,871.54
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 357,871.54
shut the fook up - Boxing Goat Should be a great fight... - anthonydavid11 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Koba View Post
British Empire did similar right across it's empire, man. I'd suspect the other Imperial powers did too, but I ain't as informed on the French or Dutch colonial histories. All about control and eliminating threats, but mainly what it achieved was just causing a whole shitload of misery and dysfunction and piled up resntment for the future... I know less about the US systems but I'd imagine they're broadly the same... same kinda racialist philosophy behind it anyway.
Was my grandparents, their generation. They took them from the reservation and tought them how to be white. "Kill the Indian, save the man."

Terrible places, those boarding schools. I don't like getting too much into what really happened there. I'm not exactly comfortable talking about it openly here. Not that I don't think that people should know what America did to us but I just don't want to be labeled as having a "victim's mentality".
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:09 AM #39
Dakuwaqa Dakuwaqa is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,330
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Rep Power: 14
Dakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond reputeDakuwaqa has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 26,186.78
Bank: 1,155.62
Total Points: 27,342.40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
Was my grandparents, their generation. They took them from the reservation and tought them how to be white. "Kill the Indian, save the man."

Terrible places, those boarding schools. I don't like getting too much into what really happened there. I'm not exactly comfortable talking about it openly here. Not that I don't think that people should know what America did to us but I just don't want to be labeled as having a "victim's mentality".
Similar to the indigenous Australians. They tried to bread them out over there. Government forcefully took mixed kids away from their families. Lots of parallels.
Dakuwaqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:18 AM #40
Mammoth Mammoth is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ishkonigan
Posts: 27,531
Quoted: 12267 Post(s)
Rep Power: 64
Mammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond reputeMammoth has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 357,871.54
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 357,871.54
shut the fook up - Boxing Goat Should be a great fight... - anthonydavid11 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakuwaqa View Post
Similar to the indigenous Australians. They tried to bread them out over there. Government forcefully took mixed kids away from their families. Lots of parallels.
Idk why all these governments like that 1/4 standard
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share This With Friends

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 AM.