No announcement yet.

Why PPv numbers are low

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    LHW never really produced PPV star power, not even the great fighter of the decade himself, RJJ, was PPV material. Ward vs Kovalev was on PPV because HBO could not afford to pay them. The mentality that Ward vs Kovalev belongs on PPV, despite neither fighter having ever been built up as a PPV fighter, is what has fans imagining that fights aren't doing well because of May-Pac. Fights aren't doing well because they're out of place.

For a long time, MW has pretty much been the limit where popularity falls off. Insanely popular fights belonged on PPV, like Hopkins-Trinidad, Hopkins-DLH, Hopkins-Taylor, even Pavlik-Taylor II had some merit of being on PPV. But notice how Hopkins-Pavlik failed at 195k (surprise surprise a LHW fight) and that was well before May-Pac. What happened there was that nobody cared about Hopkins anymore because they thought he was old and they thought it was a cherrypick and the risk of paying $55 to see a cherrypick "maybe" go wrong was not worth it. Personally I picked Hopkins to decision Pavlik and I bought the PPV.
    I thinks you are right, but its a combination of it all, oh and one question, where is your sig from, who is that hottie?

Comment

Originally posted by Rikanlynx86 View Post
      I see the points u r making. But I what Im talking about are top guys not named canelo or euro/uk big dogs(another area that comes out for their guys, always been that way), selling under 200k ppvs. like that is lower than its been in a while, and on a consistent basis too. So i guess what made me make this thread was seeing ppv numbers are 150-170 more than once and all after the big ppv, which did damage the sports credibilty, with the huge amount of viewers.
      Being a "top" guy doesn't equal to be a PPV guy.

Like I said, Roy Jones Jr was the FOTD, seen as superman, very popular in mainstream boxing but he wasn't a PPV fighter and HBO had the budget to pay him well.

That's no longer the case. "Top" guys who are not PPV fighters are now being shoved in to PPV because HBO can't pay them what they want. This leads to low PPV #'s because guys who don't belong there are being put there. It's that simple, it has nothing to do May-Pac. That's just a fairy tale.

Canelo-Chavez Jr will probably do very well.

GGG-Chavez Jr (if JCC beats Canelo) would probably do well, similar to Martinez #'s, like 500k, because of
      Chavez Jr and the Mexican fans as well as the hype of Chavez Jr beating Canelo.

GGG vs Ward would likely do decent #'s, not great, but decent, neither of them are superstars. 250-300k.

Pacquiao vs Broner would probably do well, due to Pac's popularity and Broner's personality.

Pacquiao vs DSG is another fight that would've done well on PPV, had it happened before DSG-Thurman.

You just have to put the right fights on PPV, not every single fight that is remotely good.

Comment

PPV in BOXING is low. UFC still has some good events. ENTERTAINING events. PPV must be an attraction. You need to lure in the casuals. There is no current matchup in boxing right now that will lure in casuals. Canelo-GGG will get the Mexicans and the hardcore but will not extend to the casuals. Can you see these guys on late night shows promoting this fight? Mayweather-McGreggor is not boxing but it will draw the weirdos. Mayweather-Pacquiao will still draw but the same media that are constantly chirping about the Mayweather-McGreggor are claiming that they have no desire for a May-Pac 2. The 2 greatest fighters in this era and the boxing pundits have no desire to see them fight!!! So, let's keep bringing on the Floyd-Connor, Nate Diaz-??? Nick Diaz-???? They will all sell! Or wait another 20 years for a boxer with charisma.

Comment

Mayweather and Pacquiao skewed an entire generation's idea of what a successful PPV is. The numbers those two did throughout their careers are absurd.

Comment

floyd killed boxing

Comment

I can't speak for the rest of the world but at least here in the U.S. There's just too much competition and variety of other sporting events on free television outside of boxing for the audience to just focus in on the sport. In addition, to the skyrocketing costs of boxing ppv events, it is no longer a mainstream sport. It gets very limited news coverage outside of ESPN.

Comment

PPV numbers are low for two reasons:

#1 - Piracy

#2 - Al Haymon putting so many big fights on CBS, FOX and Showtime. The quality of fight you get for $0 has gone way up. Who wants to pay $65 for fights anymore? Very few people.

Comment

agree with some posts
                  lack of personality

Comment

Not enough stars and too many PPVs.

Big fights not on PPV is actually better for boxing. Potential fans aren't going to buy a PPV to check boxing out, but they'll watch a fight on regular TV.

Comment

However, I think the real reason why PPV's are down is largely due to the decline of American Heavyweight boxing; Which so happens to be the most glamorous division in the sport.

Back in the 1980s and 1990s we had the Larry Holmes, Michael Spinks, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Riddick Bowe and the George Foreman's of the world but now they are all gone.

At some point, all of these fighters were champions and the sport was very popular back then; Thus the increase in Pay Per View buys.

Comment

Working...
                      X