Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are people underrating the current HW era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are people underrating the current HW era?

There has been talk of the current era being poor and not entertaining. Is this opinion beginning to change? The last few years have seen some absolute crackers. Here’s a reminder of some; I’ve rated in my personal opinion of order of entertainment:

Joshua vs klitschko
    Fury vs Wilder
    Whyte vs Chisora
    Chisora vs Takam
    Wilder vs Ortiz
    Whyte vs Parker
    Haye vs Bellew
    Bellew vs Haye2
    Joshua vs Parker
    Joshua vs Povetkin
    Klitschko vs Fury

Let someone go back to after that klitschko fight and top10 was probably:

1 Tyson Fury (England) 25-0
    2 Wladimir Klitschko (Ukraine) 64-4
    3 Deontay Wilder (USA) 37-0
    4 Alexander Povetkin (Russia) 30-1
    5 Anthony Joshua (England) 17-0
    6 Luis Ortiz (Cuba) 25-0-0-1
    7 Bermane Stiverne (Haiti) 25-2-1
    8 David Haye (England) 28-2
    9 Kubrat Pulev (Bulgaria) 23-1
    10 Joseph Parker (New Zealand) 20-0

Now klitschko, Stiverne and Haye have dropped out with Dillian Whyte, Jarrell Miller and Takam; with Usyk likely to be knocking on the door of Pulev shortly.

For me that leaves a number of great match ups still to happen both at top end and across the top ten!

Prime Wlad or Vitali shyts all over any current HW.

Comment

No greats since the era of Tyson, Holy and Lewis.

Comment

Not really. Joshua/Wilder/Fury will be the tier 2s in the 90's. Razer Ruddock/Mercer/ etc etc 90's Tyson
        TIER 1'S
        Bowe.Holyfield/Lewis will extinguish them

Comment

Yes, definitely. Don't entirely agree with the order of your fights though. My view below

Joshua vs klitschko 5 a bit overrated on the whole, quite boring aside from R5,6 AND 12 which were great mind
          Fury vs Wilder 1
          Whyte vs Chisora 2
          Chisora vs Takam 4
          Wilder vs Ortiz 3
          Whyte vs Parker 9
          Haye vs Bellew 7
          Bellew vs Haye2 8
          Joshua vs Parker zzzzzzzzzzz 11
          Joshua vs Povetkin 10
          Klitschko vs Fury 6 on intrigue alone

Comment

Of coarse they are!! fury already proved years ago wlad ain’t shat and that’s even been proved a decade before that! The 90s were so overblown it’s not even funny all those dudes got exposed this era is much better. I agree that the 60s-70s era was the Mecca but not those bums in the 90s wilder, fury, Johnson, and even jarrell miller would have their way with those 90s bums.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              Yeah and when prime Wlad and vitali were around it was Prime lennox easily ktfo both of them, TKO6

And when Lennox was around it was Prime Tyson and Holyfield woulda killed him

And when prime Tyson was around it was Ali would box his ears on

you get the point

Comment

There's a tendency with the old school champions to only remember their greatest nights and moments and disregard the rest

every heavyweight champ in history has had some very hard nights against far worse fighters than AJ, Fury and Wilder.

They compete in any era.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post

False.

1: The Wlad that lost to Fury was basically prime, if not prime then not far removed - let's remember prime in boxing doesn't correlate with age, it's about the damage you've taken and how you've taken care of yourself.

2: Even if you could argue it wasn't prime Wlad, we already know stylistically he fought the same throughout, and his style is one that ages well, so that point is MOOT.

Fury ethers all HW past, present, future. From Johnson, to LaMotta, to Marciano, to Ali, to Liston to Holyfield, from Foreman to Frazier.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
                    Of coarse they are!! fury already proved years ago wlad ain’t shat and that’s even been proved a decade before that! The 90s were so overblown it’s not even funny all those dudes got exposed this era is much better. I agree that the 60s-70s era was the Mecca but not those bums in the 90s wilder, fury, Johnson, and even jarrell miller would have their way with those 90s bums.
                    Most of the contenders in the 90s had crack addictions

I mean at lest with Fury it was "only" coke, and he wasn't actually on it in the ring.

Comment

Working...
                    X