Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Is A Waste Of Time - Agree or Disagree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mechanical engineering degree disagrees.

Comment

Originally posted by mokmokv2 View Post
      You're talking about monsanto and its affiliates on the fact that scientists have discovered that the GMO food that they're producing actually causes cancer and other diseases.

Bear in mind that monsanto is owned by the freemasons.

And to say that those diseases on their GMO's are a product of accident is hilarious. The amount of precision they put into developing those GMO's will automatically discount the theory that cancers on their products are a matter of accident.

Which ultimately brings me to my furthest point.

"Clean" food (non-GMO) will become a premium product in the near future.
      I'm waiting on those "OOps" reports about people turning up with these new, rare diseases that they "have no idea where they came from or how to control."

I've read that they (The Big M) pretty much control the majority of seeds.

He who controls the seeds is in control of the food supply.

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
      If you want to eat organic foods, that is fine. You're fortunate to live in a country where you can afford such luxury and preference. Many people are not this fortunate. Genetically-enhanced yield crops are responsible for feeding most of the world's population. Have you ever heard of Norman Borlaug? When he won the Nobel Peace Prize in the 70's it was estimated he had saved at least a billion lives from starvation with his genetically-enhanced strains. By fighting genetically-enhanced food you're basically fighting for 2 billion some people to die of starvation.
      That is a noble cause. However when it comes to the food supply, I don't believe scientists should have to intervene with the way nature intended to provide for the feeding of humanity.

I think people dying of starvation is a man-made problem and not due to a shortage of food crops due to nature's foibles.

Nature is abundant. Always has been.

Originally posted by Underboss View Post
      It depends.

If you choose a field that is in heavy demand, then it's not a waste of time.
      That could be a catch-22 situation. Yeah, the most in-demand job would pay well, but will you be happy in your chosen field even if it pays all the bills?

Comment

Originally posted by ANDROIDISM View Post
        Dude are you serious? Accountants make GOOD MONEY. That's not an easy thing to do. EVERY business in the world needs accounting. CPA's make a crap load of money. Then you get into the finance side of accounting and the money just goes up from there. You used a bad example lol.

Don't be fooled. Get your education! Anyone trying to convince you that school is a waste of time is an idiot. A college degree will open up many doors of opportunities for you. The people who say degrees aren't important are the same people who say money isn't important and they are usually the people who have neither.

what can you do without a degree?

Labor
        Skilled Labor
        Union Job
        Start your own business (good luck, hope you have a good plan and a lot of money)

We live in a world were manual labor is being eliminated by either shipping it overseas or finding a machine that can do your job. America and the world has shifted away from the days when you can earn a good living with a skilled or general labored job. We are now service oriented. being able to run a machine won't cut it anymore. You can make the argument that a degree now is more needed than ever. People like to say the richer get richer and the poorer get poorer. Well this separation also exist in the working class and you'll see people with degrees doing well, while people without them struggle.

You're just about limited in careers without a degree. With a degree you can do just about what you want. You guys know how much petroleum engineers make?? 150k/year plus!!! How many petroleum engineers do you see without degrees? NONE!

Don't be fooled into thinking a degree isn't worth it. It's worth it now more than ever. Good luck trying to find labor jobs in this day in age. You'll be stuck looking for secretary jobs somewhere.
        in my opinion, Accounting can be a boring-ass career unless one enjoys crunching numbers all day. I suppose if it leads to a position in finance it may be worthwhile.

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
        College got me into professional school. Professional school gave me a job to make me a top 5% earner in the US, which is top 1% worldwide.
        Good on you, sir.

Originally posted by Lovci View Post
        Meh, I don't really know. It was worth it to me, but I knew I wanted to work outdoors and hopefully a government land agency. So I just got the easiest degree that would get me into that. It worked, and I'm doing what I love. I couldnt get the job without a degree. It cost a lot, and most people would probably say you paid to much for an bachelor in arts. Bottom line is though, I got the career I love and if I stay on with the government, should at the very least retire by 60.

Too many people worry about degrees that will pay as much as possible. They hate it while in college and drop out or switch degrees which wastes money or they graduate and switch careers because they hate it. You just need to decide what you want to do for a living and go into that and stick with it. To many superficials running around looking for money only.
        Loving what you do is as important as earning a great wage. I believe that's the main key.

Comment

Originally posted by MindBat View Post
          in my opinion, Accounting can be a boring-ass career unless one enjoys crunching numbers all day. I suppose if it leads to a position in finance it may be worthwhile.
          That's a matter of opinion. Some people LOVE #' and can crunch them all day and night. People enjoy different things so more power to them. I couldn't do accounting only because I don't have the brains or patience for it, but i definitely understand why they make good money. Accounting isn't something anyone can do.

Comment

Given the fee hike in the UK (9k per year) it may not be worth it at a weak institution, but going to a top University will pay itself back. Anyway the main thing is having fun and taking the opportunity to educate yourself

Comment

It depends what job you intend to do and what you want from life. Some people are happy to work in a profession they enjoy for the rest of their life; Some prefer to take their own route and start their own business.

Always take core subjects when you go to study as there tends to be a lot more opportunity. Some many people going to college right now wasting their time - Something I found out myself. It's not worth it unless you want to be a Doctor, Lawyer, Scientist, Engineer (if you want to build skyscrapers, aeroplanes) etc, and even then; you do not have a guarantee job at the end of it.

I believe everyone can find their way though. If you have no College education, the general consensus is your a loser and looked down upon in Society. It's probably why a big chunk take the ride to College because everybody else does. Most youngsters have it indoctrinated in them at an early stage, that if you do not do well in College, you are going no where. That you are worthless and a failure in life.

I believe the world is in need of more Entrepreneurs today. There is so much opportunity for kids today. We are in the Information Age and its a great time for young people to take advantage.

I say don't waste your time if you're not academic. I absolutely hated studying most of the time so I ended up throwing in the towel. I'm just not up to it. I've never been academic person and yet I wasted 3 odd years studying. At least I came to terms that it just wasn't for me in the end. Lesson learned.

And anyway..Experience prevails most of the time. Also it's who you know - not what you know to get in most professions.
              Last edited by Uturn; 12-19-2012, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ANDROIDISM View Post
                That's a matter of opinion. Some people LOVE #' and can crunch them all day and night. People enjoy different things so more power to them. I couldn't do accounting only because I don't have the brains or patience for it, but i definitely understand why they make good money. Accounting isn't something anyone can do.
                Absolutely. There is something about numbers that does fascinate people in different ways.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
                  Given the fee hike in the UK (9k per year) it may not be worth it at a weak institution, but going to a top University will pay itself back. Anyway the main thing is having fun and taking the opportunity to educate yourself
                  That I can agree with. Learning anything should be fun. Unfortunately, not many teachers have a knack for making subjects really fascinating to learn.

I believe that to be one reason why many students drop out.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
                    I was astounded when I heard fee's were going up to 9k. I'm not sure for the reasoning but I believe they want only the top students going to university.

University has become over saturated through the years though. To many people going, and not enough jobs. I think only 3 or so people out of a class of 20 got jobs from the course I took.. And that kinda sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Uturn View Post
                      It depends what job you intend to do and what you want from life. Some people are happy to work in a profession they enjoy for the rest of their life; Some prefer to take their own route and start their own business.

Always take core subjects when you go to study as there tends to be a lot more opportunity. Some many people going to college right now wasting their time - Something I found out myself. It's not worth it unless you want to be a Doctor, Lawyer, Scientist, Engineer (if you want to build skyscrapers, aeroplanes) etc, and even then; you do not have a guarantee job at the end of it.

I believe everyone can find their way though. If you have no College education, the general consensus is your a loser and looked down upon in Society. It's probably why a big chunk take the ride to College because everybody else does. Most youngsters have it indoctrinated in them at an early stage, that if you do not do well in College, you are going no where. That you are worthless and a failure in life.

I believe the world is in need of more Entrepreneurs today. There is so much opportunity for kids today. We are in the Information Age and its a great time for young people to take advantage.

I say don't waste your time if you're not academic. I absolutely hated studying most of the time so I ended up throwing in the towel. I'm just not up to it. I've never been academic person and yet I wasted 3 odd years studying. At least I came to terms that it just wasn't for me in the end. Lesson learned.

And anyway..Experience prevails most of the time. Also it's who you know - not what you know to get in most professions.
                      It's all about getting an education in some way, shape, or form.

I think the lucky ones hook up with millionaire mentors who are willing to take someone under their wings and teach them how to really rake in the dough.

Comment

Working...
                      X