No announcement yet.

Julio Cesar Chavez on GGG's power and evident flaw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julio Cesar Chavez on GGG's power and evident flaw

When asked by his colleague on A Los Golpes about GGG's style, JCC Sr. replied :

"They say he has a similar style to mine but I believe it is very different. I will show you as well as tell you why. When I fought I would always keep my right hand up as I threw my left hooks to the body. Again, my right hand remained on guard. (Demonstrates technique) Now as you can see with GGG, when he throws his hooks he drops his right hand very low and leaves himself open for a counterattack. He goes to the body with his left and leaves himself wide open. However, he throws his right hand very well and with immense power(demonstrates a left body hook and right cross combination). He does throw some great left hands but unfortunately that right hand is dropped too low and it will cause him trouble against a counterpuncher or someone with power."

JCC Sr on Miguel Cotto vs GGG:

"I think Miguel Cotto's skills could pose a threat against GGG and give him problems due to his ability to counter effectively. If GGG goes in with his right hand down I think Cotto is smart enough to counter effectively with a right, left combo and possibly catch him by surprise."(ends segment with combination)

JCC Sr also believes GGG is a fighter whom bases his abilities on his power. A fighter that with all due respect seems very vulnerable in terms of defence. He gets hit a lot and he has been KO'ing a lot lately, but who has he been Ko'ing? What class of rivals has he been pitted against? He needs to fight against boxers whom will pose more of a threat and that will actually connect on him.

He also believes Cotto is better off facing Saul Alvarez due to their clash of styles. He believes Cotto vs GGG is a mismatch in a sense due to GGG's brutal power and Cotto would be running a very high risk against such a powerhouse. Aside from that Cotto is too small and isn't a true Middleweight seeing as how he comes in below 160 in his fights. It's not a fight Cotto should go for, especially seeing as how GGG is in his prime, very powerful and bigger than him and he would be giving up too many advantages.

He said he firmly believes Ward would completely school GGG in a fight due to their styles. Ward is too good and his style is great, hit and don't get hit.

He also said JCC Jr vs Froch has a %99 chance of going down but not until January 2015, most likely in Las Vegas. He really doesn't know why it is so distant from now but he claims JCC Jr will push for a tune up by Septembers end or early October. He also said JCC Jr is in a comfortable weight class and now it's all up to JCC Jr to truly be focused during training and give a good performance.

No surprise Stevens was catching him with a few left hooks

Comment

Yeah, I saw this interview. Chavez Sr. is biased, and you all know why. He would love to have GGG as his son but he has Jr., and he simply can't praise GGG the way the latter one deserves.

You all should know about conflict of interest. It's just what it is.

What is good though is that he does make GGG seem as the one with holes in the game, and thus the great 4 (in money and popularity terms) may grow some balls and fight Gena.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
        No surprise Stevens was catching him with a few left hooks
        I think JJC Sr. Overlooked GGG's incredible chin. That man eats massive blows for breakfast, daily.. double servings on Sunday's if he's a Good Boy. Although he has a leaky defence, I don't see anyone exploiting that weakness at 154 or 160, period.

Comment

Golovkin does have to test himself, I've been sold for a while but I've been wrong before and we can only truly find out how well refined his skills are once he steps up in competition. As for Golovkin dropping his right hand when he goes to the body, now I really have to re-watch Golovkin's fights because I haven't noticed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
            I think JJC Sr. Overlooked GGG's incredible chin. That man eats massive blows for breakfast, daily.. double servings on Sunday's if he's a Good Boy. Although he has a leaky defence, I don't see anyone exploiting that weakness at 154 or 160, period.
            As GGG told in the post-fight press "give me top fighters, and I'll show you technical [boxing]". People often forget how technical GGG was with Stevens in the first 3 rounds until he knew Stevens has lost his pop. GGG smashed Geale just because he didn't respect the guy's power. Otherwise how can you explain eating a right hand and throwing his own right hand, AND what was amazing to watch - his follow up with a left hand (though not needed).

Comment

GGG doesn't drop his right hand when he throws his left hook to the liver :

Don't know what GGG fights JCC been watching.

Comment

Originally posted by ggg_kz View Post
                As GGG told in the post-fight press "give me top fighters, and I'll show you technical [boxing]". People often forget how technical GGG was with Stevens in the first 3 rounds until he knew Stevens has lost his pop. GGG smashed Geale just because he didn't respect the guy's power. Otherwise how can you explain eating a right hand and throwing his own right hand, AND what was amazing to watch - his follow up with a left hand (though not needed).
                That off balanced right hand KO was nothing short of amazing. Honestly, one of the most awkwardly beautiful punches i have seen in recent times. IDK about anyone else but I think GGG is the monster HBO claims he is. Sure that Ward ordeal is an issue but at 160 or 154, GGG is just too much for anyone. Stevens was landing some massive shots but GGG walked through them, I'm not too sold on his technical boxing but I'm sure those questions will be answered once he does go up to 168, where folks will most likely be able to handle his power and dish out punishment is response.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                  GGG doesn't drop his right hand when he throws his left hook to the liver :

Don't know what GGG fights JCC been watching.
                  Thanks for posting timely until haters jumped on Chavez Sr. bandwagon.

Chavez Sr. is just jealous, but he shouldn't be. He should be proud of GGG. GGG even developed his pro game towards Chavez Sr., but Julio has a son right in the mix, so as Ward says "As much as I would love to, I can't become GGG's fan as we can potentially fight agaisnt each other".

Comment

More evidence to dismiss statement of Chavez Sr.:

Comment

Working...
                    X