Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why aren't people keeping the same energy for Charlo-Cota as they were for GGG-Vanes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because haters here are racist against Golovkin.

Comment

GGG vacated the IBF for Vanes. Charlo vacated a belt for Harrison or Cota? Not even the same circumstances to begin with.

Comment

This fanboy thread is pretty disgusting. Not the same by any backward twisting of the mind.

Comment

people cared about gggg, only 4 people care about Charlo

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
            GGG-Vanes
            GGG's opponent has to back out of the fight a month before the fight. GGG takes a late replacement to keep the fight date.

Charlo-Harrison
            Charlo's opponent has to back out of the fight 3 weeks before the fight. Charlo takes on Cota as Harrison's replacement.

Not to mention that Vanes is a couple levels above Cota.

Everyone seems to be in agreement that Cota-Charlo is a bad fight. But no one is getting on Charlo for this fight, like some people on here were getting on GGG for the Vanes fight.

Can someone break it down for me why that is? Seems a little hypocritical, like some people almost have a clear bias for or against some fighters and don't treat them equally. Strange.
            3 reasons:

1. everyone agrees Charlo/Cota is garbage while GGG fans tried to pretend Vanes was a legit opponent.

2. The news of Tony's ankle and Cota being named as replacement was overshadowed by Ruiz beating AJ this weekend.

3. Ruiz, a huge underdog, just pulled off a massive upset. the people that hate PBC fighters have been posting about hoping for the same thing while acknowledging what I posted in post #1.

Comment

Because Charlo isnt fighting ANYBODY good, let alone a grudge rematch for all the belts, after he destroys Cota.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                That was an obvious typo. But I never graduated from high school. I'm not common sense & street smarts than book smarts. And that has led me to lead a pretty comfortable life. Especially considering where I came from.

Yes, I am smarter than most people hear. What I know can't be taught by memorizing words in a book. That's what sheep do.
                Hey man good for you, sincerely. I think you'd do a lot better on here if you were less tribal and more of a real boxing fan, but to each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
                  what a stupid thread,GGG turned down his mando and chose Vanes who hadnt fought in 2 years
                  Why lie though? He never turned him down. Dervy couldn't fight on that original date, everyone knows that. As I mentioned previously, to postpone that fight through no fault of GGG's own and also further push back the Canelo rematch would just be a bad decision all around and one that GGG shouldn't make as he wasn't in the wrong here.

And again - Vanes is miles better than Cota. Vanes competed solidly against anyone he was ever in with, and many gave him the first round against GGG (though many people who hate GGG try and give his opponent every possible round lol), so hard to say he looked shot in there.

He just got ran over by a truck. That's one of GGG's best qualities - if you aren't able to compete physically with him, he gets you out of there.

Originally posted by Boksfan View Post
                  Because haters here are racist against Golovkin.
                  Yeah sadly I think you're right. Many of them actually seem to think they are being intellectually honest though; it's strange.

Originally posted by Frankie2Jabs View Post
                  GGG vacated the IBF for Vanes. Charlo vacated a belt for Harrison or Cota? Not even the same circumstances to begin with.
                  He was actually vacated when he decided to fight Canelo, instead of Dervy, after Vanes.

Question - how would you feel if the WBO or whatever belt Harrison has, says Charlo needs to fight Hurd before Harrison again? Is Charlo ducking if he decides to go through with Cota on the original fight date, instead of postponing his original date/training to set up a later fight with Hurd?

Better yet - how did you feel when the IBF told Canelo he had to face Dervy next? Seemed like many Canelo fans were very much against that.

Originally posted by Blackclouds View Post
                  This fanboy thread is pretty disgusting. Not the same by any backward twisting of the mind.
                  Many similarities. They were pointed out by me and others as well. Not very hard to understand my friend.

Originally posted by Crushinator View Post
                  people cared about gggg, only 4 people care about Charlo
                  Lol probably the best argument here, can't argue with you. You seem like an unbiased guy, I like it.

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                  3 reasons:

1. everyone agrees Charlo/Cota is garbage while GGG fans tried to pretend Vanes was a legit opponent.

2. The news of Tony's ankle and Cota being named as replacement was overshadowed by Ruiz beating AJ this weekend.

3. Ruiz, a huge underdog, just pulled off a massive upset. the people that hate PBC fighters have been posting about hoping for the same thing while acknowledging what I posted in post #1.
                  Thanks for the post man. I do think Vanes was a legit opponent. He looked fine in there in the ring to me as well, and many people gave him the first round. He is certainly miles better than Cota as Vanes proved many times he could compete at the top level.

I agree that 2 years inactive and moving up a weight class is not an ideal opponent there though. But yeah I do think he was solid enough on short notice.

Good point about number 2 as well - especially as another guy pointed out, Charlo isn't as big of a name as GGG right now anyway, so easier for him to get overshadowed.

I don't completely follow number 3 or where you were going with that - but everyone is always hoping the new hope(s) can beat their least favorite fighters.

I personally don't have an issue with a Cota as Charlo's replacement on short notice - it wasn't his fault. And as you alluded to, putting in a different, tough opponent on short notice is always dangerous.

Also true that Ruiz was a huge dog as you mentioned - but when he stepped up against Parker he didn't do much worse than AJ did against him, so in hindsight maybe it was a tougher fight than we all realized.

Cota has shown every time he stepped up to even B level fighters, he gets stopped. But again I don't have an issue with the fight at all, wasn't Charlo's fault. Just feel like if people kept it real they would keep very similar energy about the two fights since they are very similar circumstances - my 2 cents.
                  Last edited by Boxing_1013; 06-04-2019, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
                    Why lie though? He never turned him down. Dervy couldn't fight on that original date, everyone knows that. As I mentioned previously, to postpone that fight through no fault of GGG's own and also further push back the Canelo rematch would just be a bad decision all around and one that GGG shouldn't make as he wasn't in the wrong here.

And again - Vanes is miles better than Cota. Vanes competed solidly against anyone he was ever in with, and many gave him the first round against GGG (though many people who hate GGG try and give his opponent every possible round lol), so hard to say he looked shot in there.

He just got ran over by a truck. That's one of GGG's best qualities - if you aren't able to compete physically with him, he gets you out of there.

Yeah sadly I think you're right. Many of them actually seem to think they are being intellectually honest though; it's strange.

He was actually vacated when he decided to fight Canelo, instead of Dervy, after Vanes.

Question - how would you feel if the WBO or whatever belt Harrison has, says Charlo needs to fight Hurd before Harrison again? Is Charlo ducking if he decides to go through with Cota on the original fight date, instead of postponing his original date/training to set up a later fight with Hurd?

Better yet - how did you feel when the IBF told Canelo he had to face Dervy next? Seemed like many Canelo fans were very much against that.

Many similarities. They were pointed out by me and others as well. Not very hard to understand my friend.

Lol probably the best argument here, can't argue with you. You seem like an unbiased guy, I like it.

Thanks for the post man. I do think Vanes was a legit opponent. He looked fine in there in the ring to me as well, and many people gave him the first round. He is certainly miles better than Cota as Vanes proved many times he could compete at the top level.

I agree that 2 years inactive and moving up a weight class is not an ideal opponent there though. But yeah I do think he was solid enough on short notice.

Good point about number 2 as well - especially as another guy pointed out, Charlo isn't as big of a name as GGG right now anyway, so easier for him to get overshadowed.

I don't completely follow number 3 or where you were going with that - but everyone is always hoping the new hope(s) can beat their least favorite fighters.

I personally don't have an issue with a Cota as Charlo's replacement on short notice - it wasn't his fault. And as you alluded to, putting in a different, tough opponent on short notice is always dangerous.

Also true that Ruiz was a huge dog as you mentioned - but when he stepped up against Parker he didn't do much worse than AJ did against him, so in hindsight maybe it was a tougher fight than we all realized.

Cota has shown every time he stepped up to even B level fighters, he gets stopped. But again I don't have an issue with the fight at all, wasn't Charlo's fault. Just feel like if people kept it real they would keep very similar energy about the two fights since they are very similar circumstances - my 2 cents.
                    Dude Vanes wasn't a legit opponent. He was coming off a loss at 154. Opinions like that from GGG fans are insane and drove all the backlash.

If you admitted Vanes was a trash opponent picked to ensure a win so the the Canelo rematch wouldn't get derailed, then other posters wouldn't be so irate and respond the way they did.

As for #3, my point is People just saw a huge upset and are prisoners of the moment. Rather than crap on Cota continuously many are hoping he can pull off a similar upset. In the case of GGG/Vanes there was no recent upset and no one believed such a weak opponent coming up from 154 had any chance.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                      Dude Vanes wasn't a legit opponent. He was coming off a loss at 154. Opinions like that from GGG fans are insane and drove all the backlash.

If you admitted Vanes was a trash opponent picked to ensure a win so the the Canelo rematch wouldn't get derailed, then other posters wouldn't be so irate and respond the way they did.

As for #3, my point is People just saw a huge upset and are prisoners of the moment. Rather than crap on Cota continuously many are hoping he can pull off a similar upset. In the case of GGG/Vanes there was no recent upset and no one believed such a weak opponent coming up from 154 had any chance.
                      I just disagree about Vanes - again any time he stepped up against top competition he basically fought to a draw, and he did so many times - Andrade, Charlo, Lara (2) etc. If he was stopped badly his last few fights I would agree it was a really bad pick. In the moment I don't think it was that bad at all. Certainly better than Spike O'Sullivan etc.

I think a lot of the hate on Vanes now is driven from the fact that many do not like GGG and are looking for any reason possible to give him some sh.it. People do the same thing to Wilder on here sometimes - saying Ortiz is now 50 years old etc, when going in many thought Wilder would lose. From a neutral perspective those are my 2 cents there.

Again worth pointing out Vanes did win the first round against GGG on many cards, and as someone who remembers watching him in his first fight vs Lara, he looked the same as he has always looked to me. If he came in fat and gassed late, or looked shot I would give my opinion that he looked bad, but I didn't see that.

As I said before, a guy coming up from 154 and 2 years inactive was certainly not an ideal opponent for GGG so in that way it wasn't a great matchup. And you say coming off a loss - I say he fought he really close fight with Lara (who I love) and most people on here would have loved to see Lara fight GGG. If Vanes was completely destroyed by Lara in that fight it would have been a completely sh.it fight with GGG, but overall going in it wasn't that bad, not on short notice.

I do agree that anyone willing to take the fight on a month's notice will in general be a guy who is a lighter touch - most guys who really feel they can win will probably want a full camp and/or to negotiate a good split money wise.

For Vanes' case he was inactive so he jumped at the opportunity to get a shot like that, even if it was above his pay-grade. I don't think he was shot though and I think people have always rated him as a top fighter. The moving up in weight and style matchup with GGG was not in his favor imo, but otherwise he looked fine. He just fights too aggressive against someone like GGG who will KO you if you can't back him up, or if you aren't trying to move a lot around the ring.

Thanks for your thoughts though man, good post.

Comment

Working...
                      X