Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you're fat can you build up a phase and be fit?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RossyJames View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys, I got fat due to spinal surgery as mentioned in other posts of mine and I've just been that much bigger since. I eat healthy and am running 4-5 days a week along with swimming but my fat never seems to melt so I feel like it's going to be my body build for life. My stamina is getting a lot better with running so that's a plus but I've never boxed with someone before so I don't know what it's like to be in there.

Any suggestions for better workouts? And yeah my knees are killing, along with both ankles. I think I have stress fractures in my ankle and knee.
    Are you sure that you can meet the physical demands of training and fighting? I would strongly advise going to your doctor and get the all clear.

Your joints should be able to cope with running and swimming. The thing is it could be diet related; you might have not built up your stores when you were younger because of a poor diet, hence the constant injuries. I got told to eat vital foods when I was younger by my parents like milk and greens.

Better to be safe than become a crippled, failed boxer. I'm not being harsh but you are getting injured before starting the graft. Boxing is a lot harder than you think and you're saying you want to become a boxer without knowing how difficult it can be. You need to have a taste of a thorough training session whilst unfit rather than ducking the boxing gym because it's the best way to get fitter in the first place.

If you are a natural and know that you're a hard hitter, continue safe in the knowledge that you can learn to live the sport because the knockout punch will bring out the fear in people. By the looks of it, like most people, you will need to earn respect at your gym and keep turning up. Stay dedicated. If you cannot turn up due to injuries on a regular basis, at this stage, it's worth looking at boxing from a different perspective - maybe a way to lose weight.

You will see boxers who seem fat but they train as hard as everyone else. They are not lazy.
    Last edited by DugzBoxing; 03-25-2019, 11:43 AM.

Comment

If I run around 4-5 times a week for 5 miles, do fitness swimming twice a week etc along with other workouts will I be able to build up my fitness and box without becoming tired if I'm fat?
      Sounds like you're going to try too much and burn out. Maybe it'll work for you but I know if I tried this around my 9-5 job and social life I'd burn out fast. Why not start smaller and work your way up?

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
        Sounds like you're going to try too much and burn out. Maybe it'll work for you but I know if I tried this around my 9-5 job and social life I'd burn out fast. Why not start smaller and work your way up?
        Exactly what I did. Building up your training and starting from the bottom but this guy is 22 and feels like he needs to get loads of hours in which is just wrong. Go boxing sessions once a week, then eventually twice and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by P4Pdunny View Post
          good advice, number 2 works for me in particular thats how weight is coming off me now.
          How much so far?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            How much so far?
            i haven't weighed, i tend not to so much but just from how my clothes fit me. I was comfortably in the mid 13 stone area but I'm probably lingering around 13 at the dot.

The end aim is 12 stone.

Comment

Originally posted by P4Pdunny View Post
              i haven't weighed, i tend not to so much but just from how my clothes fit me. I was comfortably in the mid 13 stone area but I'm probably lingering around 13 at the dot.

The end aim is 12 stone.
              I weigh every few days, in the morning, with boxers on only

Comment

I do the same but AM and PM so I can keep track of any changes throughout the day and correct them before dinner or at breakfast the next day.

Comment

whats the goal? I find that scales don't work for me they just demoralise me more than anything.

Comment

If I run around 4-5 times a week for 5 miles, do fitness swimming twice a week etc along with other workouts will I be able to build up my fitness and box without becoming tired if I'm fat?
                    Sort out your food.... if you don’t know where to start watch Athlean X on YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
                      (No offense meant by anything said here btw, thanks for taking it in stride. Apologize in advance if some assumptions are made.)

Change your diet. Eat less. If you’re staying at the same weight stop doing the same thing. Your body might be too used to what youre doing already as well and it’s probably just not as clean or effective as you think it is. There’s got to be something that’s not right if you’re doing all of that and not seeing the weight loss.

I dont know if you do but have you tried intermittent fasting? S hit is life changing but really, it just works for my lifestyle. If you havent I would heavily consider it.

Do you lift any weights or calisthenics or do any kind of significant strength training?

What’s an average day look like for you meal wise? Personally I try to just go off common sense and keep a rough caloric range in mind and try to avoid going out hungry, thirsty, etc. Soda and alcohol for soecial occasions, as little sugar as I can...just no brainers. I’m not a pro or anything but if you’re....for example, 75lbs overweight and are still there..it means you’re eating enough to be 75lbs overweight.
                      The highlighted part of your post, is very bad advice.

This is why boxers compared to some other athletes in Olympic sports can be sometimes very unhealthy.

Lions & Tigers don't worry about calories, they eat when they are hungry 'And this same simple philosophy that should be applied within boxing' If you are training hard, then you will be need refuel your body with the raw materials it needs 'Which is plenty of food' All this individual needs to do, is make afew lifestyle changes such as? No fizzy drinks, no sweets, or cakes. And over time this small changes, couple with his training lifestyle will have a accumulative effect.

Comment

Working...
                      X