No announcement yet.

How do you see Loma-Duran at 135 going?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJ Enerate View Post
    Duran v Dejesus 1 was actually fought above 135. It was a meaningless ten round non title fight.
    Correct. It was a non title fight in the 140 division.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post

It never ceases to amaze me the degree to which past greats are inflated however. Maybe I'm waaay off, but in my world the greatest boxers of each era would probably square off reasonably competitively against each other. Of course, it remains to be seen where Lomachenko slots into the wider history of the sport, but there's absolutely no reason to believe at this stage that it wouldn't be competitive.
      The thing about Duran is he was such a great fighter that he's become somewhat mythical, and unbeatable.

Duran was obviously great, legendary. One of the best.

But unbeatable he certainly wasn't. I notice alot of his fans deny that a style like Lomachenko's has given him problems. Yeah he has tools that combat that also but let's not pretend that Duran didn't have his fair share of problems with counter punching and movement.

Anyway, as it stands it's way too early. Loma has only had one fight at 135. But in 5 fights time? Who knows. I don't think it's out of the realms of possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        The thing about Duran is he was such a great fighter that he's become somewhat mythical, and unbeatable.

But unbeatable he certainly wasn't. I notice alot of his fans deny that a style like Lomachenko's has given him problems. Yeah he has tools that combat that also but let's not pretend that Duran didn't have his fair share of problems with counter punching and movement.

Anyway, as it stands it's way too early. Loma has only had one fight at 135. But in 5 fights time? Who knows. I don't think it's out of the realms of possibility.
        Duran has shown problems with movement, but Lomachenko doesn't have the type of movement that Duran has struggled with. Duran struggles with the taller movers who counter, slippery and stick the jab. Lomachenko is too small to pull that off.

Comment

I think Duran vs. Carlos Ortiz and Pernell Whitaker would need three fight series to separate them. Ortiz may have an edge due to his being strong enough physically in addition to being intelligent and adaptable enough to have an edge in a rubber match.

Lomachenko is clearly special and I'd like to see him make 135 his home. He doesn't need to be at any further disadvantage to try and satisfy haters who wouldn't even give him credit if he did the things they are demanding of him (i.e beat big welterweights and move up further). He should set up to own 135 the way GGG has done with 160 and establish himself as one of the greatest in the divisions history. He has all the tools and the time with which to do so.

Comment

Good fight. I like Duran's power, reflexes, toughness, and brutal pro tactics over Loma, who also seems a shade too small at 135. But it would be competitive for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by bballchump11 View Post
              Duran has shown problems with movement, but Lomachenko doesn't have the type of movement that Duran has struggled with. Duran struggles with the taller movers who counter, slippery and stick the jab. Lomachenko is too small to pull that off.
              I just think it's too soon to try and be definitive with this match already. The safe and logical pick is Duran. He's one of the 10 greatest boxers ever and this was his best weight class.

Don't underestimate Lomachenko's ability to improve and add wrinkles to his game. This is a guy that learns fast and learns/adapts from mistakes. He will have taken A LOT from the Linares fight. He'll be a much better, more complete fighter in 2-3 fights time.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                I just think it's too soon to try and be definitive with this match already. The safe and logical pick is Duran. He's one of the 10 greatest boxers ever and this was his best weight class.

Don't underestimate Lomachenko's ability to improve and add wrinkles to his game. This is a guy that learns fast and learns/adapts from mistakes. He will have taken A LOT from the Linares fight. He'll be a much better, more complete fighter in 2-3 fights time.
                Idk, the guy is already 30. I know he only has 12 fights, but I don't know how much better he's actually going to get. He will get more comfortable at lightweight most likely though. So that's one thing he can look forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
                  Post and discuss
                  da.....****???

duran was skilled and a beast at the weight, he'd maul loma for 12 rounds, for 15 rounds or anything in between.

Comment

Duran by decapitation.

Comment

DeJesus beat him at 135.
                      Not sure if this should count, Duran had a car crash before that first fight, and KO'd DeJesus in their two subsequent meetings... In any case, that is the only loss Duran suffered at 135

As an aside, the story of DeJesus is a tragic one, being sent to prison for murder, and dying of AIDS at age 39. There is a famous picture of Duran visiting DeJesus, hugging and kissing him on his deathbed

Comment

Working...
                      X