Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Tony Thompson the best active US heavyweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thompson is good, and he's very subtle about it. If you weren't watching yesterday's fight closely, you might say that Thompson was fighting sloppily. But he actually was doing a lot of things right. He controlled the distance with good footwork and didn't let Price catch his breath. And his punch selection was excellent. I'm not gonna dig up the exact sequences, but I remember him throwing some really good combos (i.e. right hook to the body, right uppercut, feint, lead left--all landing). There aren't many heavyweights who have almost every punch in their arsenals, and he worked the uppercuts to a tee.

He's good enough to have beaten Morrison and Mercer in the 90s, Bonecrusher and Berbick in the 80s, and Spinks and Young in the 70s.
    Last edited by Cardinal Buck; 07-07-2013, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I think Jennings and Wilder would dust Thompson, 2 EZ

Comment

Based on Jennings last 2 fight, it's a little premature to say he's better than Thompson.

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
          Stiverne is now US based. I think he will be a very dangerous opponent for anyone not named Klitschko
          If he counts, he's my #1. He was very impressive vs Arreola, underrated fight

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
            Thompson is good, and he's very subtle about it. If you weren't watching yesterday's fight closely, you might say that Thompson was fighting sloppily. But he actually was doing a lot of things right. He controlled the distance with good footwork and didn't let Price catch his breath. And his punch selection was excellent. I'm not gonna dig up the exact sequences, but I remember him throwing some really good combos (i.e. right hook to the body, right uppercut, feint, lead left--all landing). There aren't many heavyweights who have almost every punch in their arsenals, and he worked the uppercuts to a tee.

He's good enough to have beaten Morrison and Mercer in the 90s, Bonecrusher and Berbick in the 80s, and Spinks and Young in the 70s.
            Well put, it's those combined factors which create a strong case for him being number one at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by F!x View Post
              Well put, it's those combined factors which create a strong case for him being number one at the moment.

Not only is he the best American HW but he is probably the best non Klitschko HW anywhere in the world.

Tony never gets the respect he deserves. He would beat Pulev, Fury, Povetkin or Haye without too much trouble if given the chance.

Comment

The US is behind Tyson Fury.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
                  Not only is he the best American HW but he is probably the best non Klitschko HW anywhere in the world.

Tony never gets the respect he deserves. He would beat Pulev, Fury, Povetkin or Haye without too much trouble if given the chance.
                  Haye would beat him but Thompson probably beats the others. Look at what Haye did to Chisora compared to what Vitali was able to do. Haye has a strong case for being number 2 HW in the world at the moment and Vitali has avoided that fight for 2 years - unlikely it ever happens.

Comment

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post
                    Far from it. Price just made him look a lot better than what he really is. Even though he stopped Price TT looked gassed and sloppy himself. The current crop of top US fighters would definitely beat him...TT would beat the hypejob Wilder though but that's about it.
                    No way did he looked gassed and sloppy - did you see the 4 punch combinations he landed on Price before the stoppage in the 5th round? A gassed
                    and sloppy fighter wouldnt be able to do that - you should watch that fight again. Price was the one who looked gassed and sloppy - Thompson looked like the younger, fitter guy in that fight and that's a major thing for a 41 year old - that's something B-Hop would be proud of.

Comment

Working...
                    X