Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defeating someone who fights equally good with both hands?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defeating someone who fights equally good with both hands?

I have a amateur fight coming up against this VERY unorthodox fighter. He isn't southpaw, he isn't orthodox but he is both. I've seen his last 2 fights and I have to say I am impressed. This guy is amazing to be honest.

I've been fighting on a competitive level now for 2 years but I have no idea how to defeat him. Since he is equally good with both hands he can switch stances in a moment. I saw what he was doing in his last fight. He was anticipating a hard right from his opponent and he was in a southpaw stance. Just before the hard but slow right came, he switched and rolled under the right and gave the guy a few mean shots and it was over. Just like that.

I need some strategy to have against this guy so that I can have something to train on. He has obviously put in a lot of effort in his strategy but it must have a weakness. Any ideas?

Originally posted by AmarD90 View Post
    I have a amateur fight coming up against this VERY unorthodox fighter. He isn't southpaw, he isn't orthodox but he is both. I've seen his last 2 fights and I have to say I am impressed. This guy is amazing to be honest.

I've been fighting on a competitive level now for 2 years but I have no idea how to defeat him. Since he is equally good with both hands he can switch stances in a moment. I saw what he was doing in his last fight. He was anticipating a hard right from his opponent and he was in a southpaw stance. Just before the hard but slow right came, he switched and rolled under the right and gave the guy a few mean shots and it was over. Just like that.

I need some strategy to have against this guy so that I can have something to train on. He has obviously put in a lot of effort in his strategy but it must have a weakness. Any ideas?
    The way you discribe it sounds like he is a good counter puncher as well as unorthodox and having good power. Do you have the reach and height advantage? be on your bicycle and use lateral movement. use feints and circle at different directions to throw him off and frustrate him. Use flurries and go in and out. HAHA I'm just assuming you can do all of this but tell me what kind of style you usually fight. Are you a good combination puncher? are you a good counter puncher and do you have good headmovement. Things like that. Tell us and we can all help you build a game plan

Comment

I'm usually very explosive and aggressive. I try to overwhelm my opponents with sheer speed, strength and a lot of punches/round. But what I fear is that I give a lot of information away as I fight, if you know what I mean. Cause usually I'm pretty much straight forward and I for a guy like him I might be easy to read.

I've fought one southpaw before in my life and usually their weakness is their left side. But he could use the same strategy against me as he did with the other guy and I would be down for the count. He is a switch hitter so to speak.

Either I go as I usually do and try to overwhelm him or I change strategy and instead of him controlling the fight, I should be the one controlling him. You know beat him at his own game so to speak?

Comment

I'm usually very explosive and aggressive. I try to overwhelm my opponents with sheer speed, strength and a lot of punches/round. But what I fear is that I give a lot of information away as I fight, if you know what I mean. Cause usually I'm pretty much straight forward and I for a guy like him I might be easy to read.

I've fought one southpaw before in my life and usually their weakness is their left side. But he could use the same strategy against me as he did with the other guy and I would be down for the count. He is a switch hitter so to speak.

Either I go as I usually do and try to overwhelm him or I change strategy and instead of him controlling the fight, I should be the one controlling him. You know beat him at his own game so to speak?
        Do you have any youtube video of one of his fights? You weren't specific on what kind of a fighter he was. I mean inside/outside Fast, good headmovement and things like that. Give us more specifics. Also if he is a dangerous counter puncher you shouldn't bum rush him, use movement and move in and out and feinting. Unorthodox fighters usually take advantage of their style throwing their opponents of so don't let it go to your head and try to make him confused instead.

Comment

Oh sorry I don't have any youtube clips. He is definetly an outside fighter and a one hit wonder so to speak. As far as I saw he has very good feet movement and side to side movement. He dances a lot around his opponent. As far as the head movement I would say it's not on par with his feet.

He rarely goes in with a flurry and just pounds on his opponent. Cause guys like me we usually get in there and try to get our opponent against the ropes and pound on him. Being the busier boxer. In that sense he is the classic counter puncher. Maybe I should try and limit his options of switching and playing mind games by being on him all the time. Not give him the space.

As far as height and weight I think we are about equal. I'm 6", 170 lbs and he is 6"1 I think. Not sure about the weight.

Comment

Oh sorry I don't have any youtube clips. He is definetly an outside fighter and a one hit wonder so to speak. As far as I saw he has very good feet movement and side to side movement. He dances a lot around his opponent. As far as the head movement I would say it's not on par with his feet.

He rarely goes in with a flurry and just pounds on his opponent. Cause guys like me we usually get in there and try to get our opponent against the ropes and pound on him. Being the busier boxer. In that sense he is the classic counter puncher. Maybe I should try and limit his options of switching and playing mind games by being on him all the time. Not give him the space.

As far as height and weight I think we are about equal. I'm 6", 170 lbs and he is 6"1 I think. Not sure about the weight.
            Their are 2 classic ways of beating an outside fighter. 1: go after him and try to work on the inside. Very hard to do with a good power/counter puncher and a person with good footmovement. This approach takes a lot of energy. The other way of dealing with a outside fighter is making him follow you. Outside fighter is not used to being the one to lead so it will confuse him and he will not be comfortable when you are not fighting their fight. Work on your lateral movement and cardio for this fight. Have someone in your gym imitate him and work your game plan around hitting him while not getting hit. In and out outwork him like you said. The guy sounds like a stylistic nightmare so that is why I think you should be on the outside rather then fighting his fight. Counter punchers don't like feints btw if I didn't mention it 10 times

Comment

Thank you!

I'll work on my feints and try to be more patient against him. In and out. Thanks so much for your help...

Comment

Working...
              X