This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
    actually to check china you don't need philippines.

you contain them from going east from korea, japan, hawaii, guam.

then you bottle up the straits to the indian ocean.

easily done based out of australia or other bases in the oceania or indian ocean,

far away from chinese air cover.

not so from philippines which is within the reach of chinese aircraft and missiles.

if i was an american strategist, i'd fight china in east asia. closer to home and the south koreans and japanese actually have militaries to support.
    If that's case then why is uncle sam so affected with what's happening in panatag shoal? The US state department just criticized china for it's recent move(saber rattling) in south east asia. I read it in the paper this morning, a head line at that. Why can't uncle sam just leave them pinoys and chinese alone? why? what is its motive behind their strong statement against the 2nd best economy in the world? Why can't it just be silent and silently tell Philippines that it's not its brown brother no more..

Comment

i'm not letting anyone fool me.

i know the americans make stops to philippines.

i just don't overvalue it nor do i think america needs it.

even stopping american visits completely wouldn't affect the u.s. much.

this is not 1898 and warships do not run on coal.

modern u.s. destroyers and cruisers have ranges of 8-12,000 km UNREFUELED. their submarines and carriers can operate for years nonstop.
      I know that, a US nuclear sub showed up at the panatag shoal just recently. What I'm telling you is that america is not leaving the Philippines, they virtually have the whole country as a base and they get it for a song. Hope the government will send them away, they don't need us anyway so why don't they just leave us and spare us of another war?

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Kadyo View Post
        If that's case then why is uncle sam so affected with what's happening in panatag shoal? The US state department just criticized china for it's recent move(saber rattling) in south east asia. I read it in the paper this morning, a head line at that. Why can't uncle sam just leave them pinoys and chinese alone? why? what is its motive behind their strong statement against the 2nd best economy in the world? Why can't it just be silent and silently tell Philippines that it's not its brown brother no more..
        finally. i've been waiting.

the only, or at least main, strategic reason for philippine bases is to protect philippines and u.s. interest in philippines itself.

the only time the u.s. will actually NEED (as you put it) philippines is when it needs to protect philippines under the mdt.

u.s. doesn't need philippine bases to keep china from going east.

nor does it need philippines to stop chinese supply of middle east oil.

Comment

I know that, a US nuclear sub showed up at the panatag shoal just recently. What I'm telling you is that america is not leaving the Philippines, they virtually have the whole country as a base and they get it for a song. Hope the government will send them away, they don't need us anyway so why don't they just leave us and spare us of another war?
          spare us another war?

because the japanese would've never come if u.s. wasn't there?

you know you keep complaining about pittance or getting bases for a song. so if u.s. paid more it'd be okay?

but you are right, they don't really need us.

Comment

finally. i've been waiting.

the only, or at least main, strategic reason for philippine bases is to protect philippines and u.s. interest in philippines itself.

the only time the u.s. will actually NEED (as you put it) philippines is when it needs to protect philippines under the mdt.

u.s. doesn't need philippine bases to keep china from going east.

nor does it need philippines to stop chinese supply of middle east oil.
            US interest which started with naval cordage will be here to stay. US needs our country commercially since time immemorial. The spaniards failed to see this because their real target was china so they used the county for hundreds of years as a port for the spanish-chinese trade during the so called manila-acapulco galleon trades. American businessmen here in the Philippines tried their very best to stop independence or at least prolong it because of US interests.

The Phiippines has always been on the losing side of the deal even its forest wasn't spared. What are we talking about again?

You ****in making me think about politics, a topic I hate so much.

Comment

spare us another war?

because the japanese would've never come if u.s. wasn't there?

you know you keep complaining about pittance or getting bases for a song. so if u.s. paid more it'd be okay?

but you are right, they don't really need us.
              Did you know that manila was the most devastated city during the 2nd and it was not because of the japanese? It happened almost at the end of the war. It was like burning a house to kill them bugs.

No more poitics rock, go to seep.

Comment

US interest which started with naval cordage will be here to stay. US needs our country commercially since time immemorial. The spaniards failed to see this because their real target was china so they used the county for hundreds of years as a port for the spanish-chinese trade during the so called manila-acapulco galleon trades. American businessmen here in the Philippines tried their very best to stop independence or at least prolong it because of US interests.

The Phiippines has always been on the losing side of the deal even its forest wasn't spared. What are we talking about again?

You ****in making me think about politics, a topic I hate so much.
                the philippines is probably 40th or so in importance to the united states.

if we're talking money, trade wise, we're around 30th or so largest trading partner. china is probably largest or at least 2nd.

so if it's about money, why side with philippines over china?

it's ok. you're a professor, i find this interesting.

Comment

Did you know that manila was the most devastated city during the 2nd and it was not because of the japanese? It happened almost at the end of the war. It was like burning a house to kill them bugs.

No more poitics rock, go to seep.
                  war. you bomb the enemy. the japanese was in philippines.

would you prefer the japanese stayed?

times have changed. it's good to remember the past but you can't make decisions in the present because of it. you have to look to the future and make your decision based on that.

Comment

• Remember this, the US works for its interest alone and nothing more. If it is showing extra attention to the Philippines, because it is to her interest to do so.

The Obama administration has revamped its strategy in response to a rising China and for that reason has expressed interest in the use of its former military bases in the region.

Very recently, the US discussed with Thailand the creation of a regional disaster-relief hub at an American-built airfield that housed B-52 bombers during the 1960s and 1970s. They also said they are also interested in more naval visits to Thai ports and joint surveillance flights to monitor trade routes and military movements.

Why would US officials go to all the trouble negotiating for the use of all these military areas? That is right, they need them.

Its special interest in the Philippines is not only containment of China and preservation of international sea lanes but also in US commercial interests for oil and other high value minerals in Mindanao and Palawan.

Everything the US does is primarily for its interest. Make no mistake about it.
                    Last edited by Daniel Alpha; 12-01-2012, 08:15 AM.

Comment

the philippines is probably 40th or so in importance to the united states.

if we're talking money, trade wise, we're around 30th or so largest trading partner. china is probably largest or at least 2nd.

so if it's about money, why side with philippines over china?

it's ok. you're a professor, i find this interesting.
                      The answer to that question is obvious and I'm a teacher of math which is devoid of politics. Politics is a very sticky subject and politicians like to circumvent things. I hate both.

I only got to think about it because our country is being used as a pawn again by super powers for their vested interest.

Comment

Working...
                      X