X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, very comprehensive!

Originally posted by Brassangel View Post
    This was mine from another thread:

10. Lennox Lewis - He was the last to officially clean up the division, though his wins against all-time greats Holyfield, and Tyson are skewed, given their ages. He was a sound technical fighter, he had good power, and given his size, would have been formidable in any era. He was one of the few who actually got better with age. He fought some of his best fights in his 30's, which is extremely rare, especially for a heavyweight. This is a temporary placeholder at #10, however, as this spot changes more frequently for me than any other on the list. Many people would place Jack Johnson, or someone else from a vintage era here, which is completely respectable.

9. Jack Dempsey - One of the original true terrors. He was smaller than a lot of guys, but he tore them down like it was his job. Well...I guess it technically was. He was dominant in his era, and although he encountered one piece of kryptonite during the course of his career (Tunney), that can't erase one of the true greats from history's list.

8. Charles "Sonny" Liston - Perhaps the most feared fighter of the entire century, Liston tore his way to the top, avenging his only decision loss (Marshall), and destroying then heavyweight champion Floyd Patterson twice, in a total of two rounds. I don't rate him any higher than 8 for now, however, as he only successfully defended his title once, and then failed to splash back onto the scene. He was a fierce, freak of nature, with an incredible reach, and a jackhammer jab.

7. Mike Tyson - A perpetual buzzsaw at his best, a sad, sub-human quitter at his worst, "Iron" Mike was perhaps the single most exciting fighter in heavyweight history. He tore through the division on his way to the crown, decimating all, and leaving little to question when he swept the championship belts onto his shoulders as a mere boy amongst men. Truly, the last heavyweight to hold the undisputed crown for any significant length of time. Were it not for his odd personna and tragic private life, he could have been discussed much higher on many lists. He had rare physical talents, perhaps not seen in any other fighter; he possessed speed, power, and elusiveness in dangerous supply. Given how he turned out, however, this is the absolute highest I can rate him, and he tends to fluctuate on my list from positions as high as 7, and as low as 12.

6. Joe Frazier - The hardest working individual, period. The man didn't lift weights, he was small for a heavyweight, he was a converted lefty, he was awkward, and at times slow. "Smokin" Joe Frazier was a warrior, a true battler who brought 100% from the opening introductions to the final bell. Perhaps my favorite fighter of all-time, he simply got there by out-hustling his opponents. A man with a heart as big as the moon, he could have been the greatest, were he not overshadowed by two others from the same era.

5. George Foreman - I place the grillmaster in the middle of my list, because his accomplishments weren't amazing, having only successfully defended the title for two professional bouts, and containing the largest list of tomato cans in grocery store history. Even so, the man was an absolute house. He even put my #6 boxer to shame, by knocking him to the canvas half-a-dozen times in two rounds. When it seemed as though he was merely a power slugger who's career never truly got there, he comes back, after more than nine years away, and slugs his way to the top to win the belt 20 years after losing it! He showed heart, and tactical boxing skill; two qualities sorely lacking from his dominant prime.

4. Larry Holmes - The man won 48 consecutive fights, and defended the title for 7 years before finally succumbing to age and wear. Even so, he went on to have a fairly successful extended career lasting well into his 50's. Perhaps the best pure boxer, with the most complete game on the list, the "Easton Assassin" is often underrated and dismissed as a shadow to the fighters of the 60's and 70's. I know one thing's for sure: he would perhaps be the single most difficult opponent for anyone at any point in history. He could come back from devastating power (see: Shavers 1 & 2), turn a fight around in the midst of losing (see: Witherspoon), and deliver a combination of speed, power, courage, and stamina that many of his predecessors couldn't boast of containing in such quan****** together.

3. Rocky Marciano - The only heavyweight champion to retire undefeated. 49-0. Nothing else needs to be said. It doesn't matter who he faced, or how sloppy he was getting there, the man simply won. It's all he knew how to do. He couldn't be put away, and he had stamina to punch through walls for 20+ rounds. I rate him higher than do many other boxing historians, despite his (seemingly) lackluster competition, but he has accomplished something that may never happen again. He did this while taking on all comers and top contenders of his era.

2. Muhammad Ali - In a head-to-head competition, Ali beats nearly everyone on this list without too much trouble. Given the awkward style matchup, I'd say that he easily handles #1 & #3. This isn't a vs. list, however; it's the greatest champions. As a champion, he was superb. It's a shame that most of his time as champ was spent when his gifts of speed, fluidity, and elusiveness were gone. There is no doubt that Ali has had the biggest impact on the sport, and on particular groups of cultural society in America. "The Greatest" was taken from the sport during his prime years. Some would say it was a judgment for speaking out against the One True God, while others would claim that the government was out to get him. Whatever the case, he still overcame the loss of his swift feet to outsmart, and outwill his way back to the top, 10 years after accomplishing it the first time. He has left us with some of the best, and perhaps the most memorable moments in sports history.

1. Joe Louis - He defended the title 25 times over the course of a 12-year stretch. He avenged his first loss in the most impressive fashion seen before or since. He was sound in all aspects of the game. To have a "prime" last as long as he did is unfathomable by today's standards. He was simply the best, for the longest period of time, and didn't truly suffer a loss except while he was green (which he avenged in brutal fashion), and again, while he was well beyond his best years against Ezzard Charles and Rocky Marciano. Those names are hardly the tags of a couple of bums or journeymen. Joe Louis even took 4 years off to serve his country, and he still returned in very impressive fashion. The man was the most complete fighter in heavyweight history. The "Brown Bomber" loved the sport of boxing, and aided in bringing it to the forefront of all sports. Even though he would match up poorly to my #2, his accomplishments inside and outside of the ring are more than enough to earn him the #1 spot, on my list of the greatest heavyweights of all-time.

Well, there you have it. A little dramatic, a little wishy-washy, but it's my current list. Stay tuned when I'll probably change it in three days time.
    Quite impressive!

Comment

• Worst Heavyweight Champion is ''Prince'' Charles Martin! I still do not believe that the championship win.

Comment

• I'd put butterbean at no3

Comment

• London****ForBrains must have noticed who occupied the second slot on my list of the damned.

Poet

Comment

• Tyson should be up there higher

Comment

• Originally posted by rozahmed View Post
              London****ForBrains must have noticed who occupied the second slot on my list of the damned.

Poet
              Is there any particular reason why you're using my old tag line?:dunno9:

Comment

• I don't understand why Dempsey is ever in anyone's top 10. He didn't fight enough or have enough title defenses. REFUSED TO FIGHT BLACK FIGHTERS. Give me a break! Not really impressed with him as much as the other 9 guys on all of these lists. I don't really think Lewis is a top 10, but I'd put him ahead of Dempsey.

Comment

• How can anyone have Jack Dempsey ahead of Jack Johnson? Are we not counting the pre-Dempsey era or something? Do we all agree that Dempsey ducked Johnson and all black fighters? And he only fought 10-15 round fights compared to Johnson fighting 45 rounds, and making more title defenses against much bigger odds, to say the least.

Comment

• [having Johnson and Dempsey as high as 2 and 3 is bizarre under any criteria, how can Dempsey be comparable to Joe Louis?[/QUOTE]

What do you mean "under any criteria"

I would rate Louis higher then Dempsey
                    because of criteria unrelated to man against man

A lot of people thought Dempsey would beat Louis
                    because of styles
                    like Bennie Leonard.
                    Who said Jack would be too aggressive for Joe.
                    I can see why he would think that.
                    Leonard's a student of the game he told Tunney how to beat Greb.
                    If he thinks this then it carries weight with me because he saw both men in their primes and he's forgotten more about boxing then I'll ever know
                    He's made a career out of finding a mans weak points
                    I know from films that Louis didn't like to be pressured
                    Doesn't like to fight moving backwards
                    Louis liked to stalk and counter punch.

The best way to get Louis off his game was to get in his face.
                    I personally think Dempsey would beat Louis not cause he's a greater fighter .Its styles thing

Gibbons who had the style to go the distance with Dempsey i think Gibbons would have got knocked out by prime Joe Louis.
                    Some people's reasoning for Dempsey over Louis was Dempsey could take Louis best punch but Louis couldn't take Dempsey's best punch.
                    Sometimes winning comes down to something that simple.

Nats reasons for picking Jack over Joe was he said Dempsey was faster and could take a punch to the chin better.....
                    You could say but Nat's ranking was flawed.
                    I'm not talking about ranking just why he picked Jack over Joe
                    If you say Dempsey's style was more primitive then Joe's.
                    Then tell me how its more primitive in what way
                    Tell me who taught Louis his more modern style.

If Louis looks more modern cause he boxed more ie
                    blocking feinting .
                    Dempsey always pressed the attack not bobbed like Frazier but side to side always on the offense.
                    Unfortunately we never saw Dempsey at his best real time high def.
                    The ones who picked Jack over Joe did

I think Dempsey would thrash today's fighter quicker
                    cause he always had his fast KO's against the big boys
                    Big men ,slow dubs, Dempsey would have a picnic.

I showed my brother a clip Dempsey working out all he said was "If he was around today he would kill em"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kiwi Nick View Post
                      Ali; no.1 with a bullet, no question.
                      After that, probably George.
                      He was so powerful and none of the other heavyweights could get away from him when he was young and quick.
                      Brilliant fighters and champions were utterly humiliated by George. Frazier, a true champion, just belted six ways from Sunday, look what he did to a great fighter like Norton.
                      Marciano would have been killed by a young Foreman.
                      Jack Johnson and Joe Louis and Sam Langford might have rode out the fight to the middle rounds the sheer power of Foreman would have caught up with the old style fighters who lacked the modern movement and would have seen them suffer the same fate as so many others, KO'd by the monster.
                      Styles make fights.
                      Foreman was the monster so much more powerful then guys who were just as big.
                      If Foreman would have won in Zaire he would be one
                      on everybodys list.
                      Jack Johnson and Joe Louis and Sam Langford might have rode out the fight to the middle rounds but if they could survive the sheer power of Foreman.
                      Who by then would have tanked out in the middle rounds.
                      Steam gone from Georges punches
                      Without his punch the monster has nothing else to win

Arm weary George is now easy pickings for someone like Johnson to tie up in clinches and slash and rake the laces of his boxing gloves across Georges bewildered face

Prime George would need to wait 10 years for his mind to equal his body
                      Prime Foreman would have beaten Tyson and waffle stomped Lewis
                      the Glass Jaw Lewis the one that doesn't get up from a punch on the chin

Comment

Working...
                      X