No announcement yet.

Hopkins: "He (Pascal) is NO Kelly Pavlik...."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sweet Jesus View Post
    You're right he's not Kelly Pavlik. He's not gaining 10 pounds to fight you.
    yeah use that excuse. Too bad Kelly weighed over 180 when he fought Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
      Ok, are you ready cause here is where I kill your argument. He fought Enrique Ornelas for peanuts(who by the way is a C-class fighter and nowhere near a champ)
      Dude you never heard of a tune up fight? Hopkins hadn't fought in over a year. On top of that he donated the purse to charity.

Not like Cotto never fought Gomez/Jennings, or Pavlik fighting Gary Lockett, or Margarito Golden Johnson, etc etc etc.

then he fought Roy Jones(who also didn't hold a belt) in a fight nobody wanted to see.
      Jones was for personal revenge and I guarantee both Hopkins & Jones overvalued their own worth on this one. Their ego's are both so huge they actually thought this would sell a good number of PPV's...

He could of fought Chad(who actually was a champ, and a darn good one) for the same amount of money he made fighting Roy. Matter fact wasn't that crap on PPV too? I'm willing to bet if I look up the numbers right now it didn't even do 100k buys. So where is the money for that? Plain and simple he took crap fights against crap and washed up fighters all the while sidestepping someone he couldn't exploit in the ring.
      One week before Pascal and Dawson fought, Hopkins on live TV called out the winner. He said he'd fight the winner and guess what? He's fighting the winner.

You can make the arguement that Hopkins SHOULD have fought Dawson instead of Roy Jones, sure, but that was hopkins choice. He called out the winner and all Dawson had to do was win, but he lost. So you'll never know.

If Hopkins beats Pascal and Dawson is next in line to fight for Hopkins belts and hopkins refuses to fight him, call him a ducker then. Right now, hopkins should not be getting critisized for fighting a champion who is 19 years younger than him in his own backyard, in his own country. It's easy for a keyboard warrior to talk ***** about hopkins but the reality is hopkins is risking a lot (his health) by taking a challenge like this, whether it's dawson, pascal or any other young talented fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
        yeah use that excuse. Too bad Kelly weighed over 180 when he fought Martinez.
        Kelly Pavlik can't deal with boxers, we know. With that said, why is Bernard Hopkins comparing a MW to a LHW?

Comment

Good presser

Comment

Further, in regards to Hopkins fighting Roy Jones, it was complicated but had to do with Golden Boy and HBO. Originally Hopkins wanted Adamek which would set up Hopkins vs Dawson but things got messed up because of Greenburg shifting around dates with Shane Mosley

From Thomas Hauser:
            That scheduling decision put Greenburg at odds with Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, who says that Ross had promised him December 5th for a Shane Mosley fight. Regardless, Schaefer agreed to shift gears and promote Mosley vs. Joshua Clottey on December 26th. Contracts were negotiated and put in final form. Then, before they could be signed, Greenburg said that Mosley’s next fight should be moved to January 30, 2010 (which HBO had previously promised to Golden Boy for Bernard Hopkins).

Hopkins was displeased when advised of the development. His assumption had been that he would fight Tomasz Adamek on January 30th to commemorate his forty-fifth birthday (January 15th). Main Events (Adamek’s promoter) and Adamek had already reached an agreement with Golden Boy for the fight with HBO’s knowledge and assent. The final piece of the puzzle was the amount to be paid to Hopkins.

The shuffling and re-shuffling led Schaefer to declare, “I am very disappointed, angry, and upset about the lack of respect that has been shown [by HBO] to Shane Mosley and Bernard Hopkins, and I am not going to tolerate that any longer. To string people along is the wrong way.”

That earned a riposte from a rival promoter, who declared, “Right now, for ten seconds, Ross and Kery [Davis] are treating Golden Boy like they treat everyone else, and Richard is throwing a ****-fit. Welcome to the club.”

Then, on September 25th, a deal was signed for Hopkins to fight Roy Jones Jr on HBO-PPV during the first quarter of 2010.

Jones-Hopkins II placates Golden Boy and solves HBO’s Bernard Hopkins problem. It also makes short-term economic sense for HBO Sports if the network didn’t guarantee an unrealistic number of pay-per-view buys. Further down the road, HBO hopes that the bout will set up a fight between the winner and Chad Dawson.

Comment

Kelly Pavlik can't deal with boxers, we know. With that said, why is Bernard Hopkins comparing a MW to a LHW?
              Why wouldn't he? Hopkins himself was a career MW and Pascal is not a big LHW standing only 5'11 and fought mostly at SMW.

On top of that, he's obviously talking about the difference in styles.

Comment

You're right he's not Kelly Pavlik. He's not gaining 10 pounds to fight you.
                sad but so true.

Comment

I've grown to like B-hop over time.

Comment

Originally posted by _Ricky_ View Post
                    I've grown to like B-hop over time.
                    Why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                      Dude you never heard of a tune up fight? Hopkins hadn't fought in over a year. On top of that he donated the purse to charity.

Not like Cotto never fought Gomez/Jennings, or Pavlik fighting Gary Lockett, or Margarito Golden Johnson, etc etc etc.

Jones was for personal revenge and I guarantee both Hopkins & Jones overvalued their own worth on this one. Their ego's are both so huge they actually thought this would sell a good number of PPV's...

One week before Pascal and Dawson fought, Hopkins on live TV called out the winner. He said he'd fight the winner and guess what? He's fighting the winner.

You can make the arguement that Hopkins SHOULD have fought Dawson instead of Roy Jones, sure, but that was hopkins choice. He called out the winner and all Dawson had to do was win, but he lost. So you'll never know.

If Hopkins beats Pascal and Dawson is next in line to fight for Hopkins belts and hopkins refuses to fight him, call him a ducker then. Right now, hopkins should not be getting critisized for fighting a champion who is 19 years younger than him in his own backyard, in his own country. It's easy for a keyboard warrior to talk ***** about hopkins but the reality is hopkins is risking a lot (his health) by taking a challenge like this, whether it's dawson, pascal or any other young talented fighter.
                      LOL keyboard warrior huh? So calling out someone for an obvious duck makes me a keyboard warrior? Who's fault is it that Hopkins sat on the shelf for a whole year? I'm gonna say it was hopkins fault. He could of taken a fight with Dawson then. Like i've said before I respect the heck outta Hopkins, but I wouldn't be telling the truth if I didn't call him out like I do everyone else. Honestly, I understand why he did it. In Dawson you have a very technically skilled fighter who aside from not letting his hands go more doesn't show many weaknesses. Bernard saw a fighter he couldn't exploit, so he didn't want to fight him. Get the heck outta here with the whole "Hopkins donated his purse to charity" Hopkins made a reported 300,000+ in that fight, he donated a portion of the gross but he didn't fight for free. And personal for Roy Jones? Man he waited til Roy was shot and done to finally fight him. Roy said 60/40 to make the fight and Hop didn't take it but over a decade later he takes it? LOL, you can keep making excuses for him though.

Comment

Working...
                      X