Getting over Punch Shyness?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting over Punch Shyness?

So here's the scoop:

I've been boxing for 1.5 years now and while I think I've learned a lot, I have one major problem. That problem is punch shyness (getting hit). I have a tendency to flinch a bit when I take a punch or if I start taking a few shots, I drop my hands and lose thought of what I am doing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get over this? My gym has a show in a few months and I would really like to fight.

Also, what are the best defensive techniques? My coach pretty much focuses on rolling the punches off the gloves and countering. While I think it's a good technique, I don't think I'm ready for something like that. I think I'd be better off keeping my hands up, absorbing the punches and then come back with some shots when the guy has punched himself out or backed off. Kind of like Winky or Clottey does.
    Last edited by rmz; 01-20-2009, 12:10 AM.

yes you can keep your hands up and absorb the punches and then hit back when he's done hitting but the problem with that is some fighters wait for you to lower your guard to get into an offencive position before they start punching again.

Rolling punches off your guard while countering is a great idea

Personally i like to duck and bob and weave, try to keep elusive and make them miss. although im not as great at it as ide like to be im getting better and ive been able to add my guard into my bobbing and weaving.

Try and keep on your feet, if you have the skill to be efficeint on the outside then dance around them, jump in and shoot off a few punches then jump out before they have the time to catch you.

Mabey you like to go face to face, well then your just gonna have to do what i do. Put your hands up, bob and weave and take those punches. Yes you'll get caught, no you wont be able to dodge every single punch. but if your going to stand face to face and trade with this guy then make sure you have one hell of a tight guard

Comment

Thanks for the response Marlin. How do you hold you guard? Do you turn your hands so your palms are facing your face like a peek-a-boo or do you keep you palms facing each other?

Comment

Back in my day if you were punch shy you would get pumelled to the floor. I remember when I got married my wife would be late with supper, a good hard back hander put a fix to that. My back hander was hard too, because of all the sugarcane cutting I used to do all day.
        You want ya supper ya gotter learn how to hit without thinking about it. So when I was in the ring I just thought if I don't hit, I don't get me supper. end of story.
        Too much pissy wissy antsy pantsy do gooders today, for that reason young boxers are too soft.

Comment

A peek-a-boo style is exactly what i use.

Comment

one solution: spar, spar, spar! the more u spar with different fighters (and it would help to visit another school in a while for a day of sparring) you'll get more sparring experience and thus get more time to try out different defensive techniques. when u spar, don't stay away from the guys who like to bang. when u get hurt, u learn, trust me. the first real punch against your head will get u to hold ur hands up more, the first plexus punch will get u to focus on compact defense and the first good liver shot will get u to work with ur elbows and more dynamic defense. just SPAR!!! turn that voice off that says: oh not that guy.. just shut up, turn ur thoughts off and go! FIGHT THAT GUY!

Comment

RMZ, I tried just taking the shots on the arms and gloves in my first fight and that was a bad idea. Although film shows the kid never really hit me with clean shots the way I caught him to the judges he did. I left the fight in the judges hands by doing that. I recommend side stepping and slipping and firing shots. Dont let the guy pile up points on you. Another technique I learned in my first fight is to spin/ turn ur opponent. My opponent got his points when my back touched the ropes i got mine in the middle of the ring. When ever i got him on theropes as i engaged him trying to land shots he wud grab me take one step to the side, either side, and turn me to where I was on the ropes. Try these out, hope they help you out. You take shots dont be afraid to clinch as well... Good luck.

Comment

Defense? Keep your chin tucked and hands up always...

Anticipate the punch coming, look at his mid section or shoulders.

Intercept his punches, if you catch one throw one back. It's war in there, ya gotta survive.

Punch Shyness?? Getting hit or hitting?

Comment

Sorry, should have made that more clear - I love to hit guys, I'm just not great at taking shots. It's funny because I don't think I've ever really been hurt in the ring, I've taken a lot of shots flush on the jaw and didn't feel anything, I think it's just my natural instinct to shy away from getting hit.

Comment

Originally posted by rmz View Post
                    Sorry, should have made that more clear - I love to hit guys, I'm just not great at taking shots. It's funny because I don't think I've ever really been hurt in the ring, I've taken a lot of shots flush on the jaw and didn't feel anything, I think it's just my natural instinct to shy away from getting hit.
                    Well, know one really wants to get hit. During your sparring sessions, work on countering, slipping and trying to not get hit. Then start putting it together with your attack. Yaddada?

Counter one round, then slip and avoid punches another and then attack the other rounds.

It's better to hit and not get hit. Obviously...

Comment

Working...
                    X