No announcement yet.

Should John Conteh Be In The IBHOF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should John Conteh Be In The IBHOF?

He's been retired 31 years now. Do you think John deserves induction into the IBHOF or do you feel he just aint worthy.

Title's Won
    -British
    -Commoweatlh
    -Europeam
    -WBC (3 Defences)

Resume Of Wins
    -Rudiger Schmidtke (EBU Champion & Win Over Roger Rouse)
    -Chris Finnegan x2 (Olympic Gold Medalist & Former World Title Challager)
    -Vicente Rondon (WBA LHW Champion, Made 4 Defences)
    -Tom Bogs (2 Weight EBU Champion, & Former World Title Challager)
    -Jorge Victor Ahumada (Drew With Bob Foster For LHW Title)
    -Yaqui Lopez (Top Contender, And Had FOTY With S.Muhammad)
    -Len Hutchins(Wins Over Roger Rouse & Vicente Rondon)
    Yes
    33.33%
    No
    66.67%

The poll is expired.

Conteh was talented enough to make the HOF, but injuries and other issues left his resume just too thin.

Comment

Conteh was a very good fighter. A technician with plenty of heart and skill. In any era he'd be in the mix for a belt but he just lacked that little something extra to elevate him to the very top rank.

My uncle worked with him for many years and he told me about the terrible racism Conteh endured throughout his career. It was a pretty sad story.

Comment

I have to tell you have I am on both the modern and old-timers committees, and John Conteh isn't even on the ballot.

They give us 45 modern fighters and 50 old-timers. We can pick as many as 10 in each category, but only the top 3 vote getters will be selected in each category.

Comment

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
          I have to tell you have I am on both the modern and old-timers committees, and John Conteh isn't even on the ballot.

They give us 45 modern fighters and 50 old-timers. We can pick as many as 10 in each category, but only the top 3 vote getters will be selected in each category.
          How is it decided on which fighters to give you to pick from?

Comment

MAYBE. He beat guys like Ahumada, Yaqui Lopez, Vicente Rondon and Tom Bogs, but came up short vs Saad Muhammad twice and Parlov. The last fight was very close but he still lost. So just MAYBE. He def had what it took to become a HOFer, but for some reason he didn't. He liked partying too much I guess.

Comment

Yes John conteh should be in the hall of fame!!!!!!! been saying it for years

Comment

thinking about all the men worthy of getting in before him,
                no
                good looking resume
                very solid professional fighter

not a hall of famer in my book

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  How is it decided on which fighters to give you to pick from?
                  They have a small committee headed by Herb Goldman.

They add only 3 each year and the rest of the 42 stay. I have to say that I have a problem with that because some of these 42 fighters have been on the ballot for years and there is no way they will ever get in. I think if a fighter gets less than a certain percentage of the vote, he should be taken off the ballot.

Comment

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
                    They have a small committee headed by Herb Goldman.

They add only 3 each year and the rest of the 42 stay. I have to say that I have a problem with that because some of these 42 fighters have been on the ballot for years and there is no way they will ever get in. I think if a fighter gets less than a certain percentage of the vote, he should be taken off the ballot.
                    That's how the MLB HOF works.

Comment

Working...
                    X