No announcement yet.

How you rate Cotto?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
    HOF'er for me - very good fighter. Big wins, beat lots of champions, lots of very good champions. Obviously lost to Mayweather and Pacquiao, with extremely contrasting performances. I always thought he was in a bad place when he fought Pac, he hadn't quite recovered from Margarito yet, he had no corner, and he caught Pac on his best night.

Canelo - much closer on the cards than the judges had it.

But lots of very good wins - especially at 140-147.

N'dou
    Bailey
    Corley
    Torres
    Malignaggi
    Quintana
    Judah
    Mosley

On an undefeated run, was no joke that is a hell of a run and some very good names there. 8 reigning, former/future world champions in there. That doesn't even include Maussa who obviously won a strap after his loss to Cotto.

He avenged the Margarito loss, and beat a faded Mayorga and Martinez. Beat Clottey (close fight) who was a monster at 147lbs.

He has a very solid resume and he literally fought everyone.

Killer jab, and left hook (head and body). Very good combination puncher, excellent at judging distance.
    Saw a replay of one of his real early fights. Like from 2002 or 2003. He just wore down the other guy, he was that kind of fighter. Real physical and got after you quick.

Obviously now he boxes a lot more and he looks more cerebral. He takes his time when he's in there.

Comment

He's a bleeder in there too. Dude cuts very easily. I'd hate to be his cutman. Really make ya earn your pay.

Comment

cotto is an ATG. titles at multiple div. fought damn near everyone. he was brought up the right way ? BFD ! he wasnt the 1st and wont be the last. no matter how a **** is brought up, he still has to fight the fights. look at what happened to sol !!!! if that **** wasnt brought up safely, no one was.

id put cotto in the top 30 all time. escpecially if guys like maricano and 3g are supposed to be top 10 ATG ( i DARE anyone to compare their resumes with cottos !!!!!!!!).

Comment

His win over Mosley was a good one. The victory over Martinez looks great on paper and he did a great job, but against an opponent on hardly any legs at all and Maravilla used his legs a lot. So I don't know. He beat Judah, but so did everyone else. He gave Mayweather a tough fight but came up short there. He took a beating at the hands of Pac and Margarito who may or may not have had the illegal hand wraps. He got revenge on a one-eyed Margarito which was fine, but not Margarito at his best by far. He did well against Canelo, but again, didn't get the win. It seems to me that he competed with the best of his era but didn't really beat any of them, especially in their primes. He gets into the HOF most likely, but I've never been that impressed. I did quite enjoy his early fight with Ricardo Torres. That was a barn burner, but then again, who is Ricardo Torres? It's kind of like Gatti's fight with Wilson Rodriguez. Unforgettable comeback win, but of course, who is Wilson Rodriguez? Gatti's also in the HOF. So he has a great shot at it.

Comment

He fought some of the best of his era, he won some and lost some. If I remember right he is a four division champion. Id call that a pretty good career. Ive always liked Cotto and its obvious he has his haters here. I truly wonder about this place sometimes and why I continue reading and posting here. There are people here who talk about world class fighters, who have reached the absolute pinnacle of their profession like they are bums who live on the street. There are very few actual boxing fans here, there are however a lot of professional haters.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
              His win over Mosley was a good one. The victory over Martinez looks great on paper and he did a great job, but against an opponent on hardly any legs at all and Maravilla used his legs a lot. So I don't know. He beat Judah, but so did everyone else. He gave Mayweather a tough fight but came up short there. He took a beating at the hands of Pac and Margarito who may or may not have had the illegal hand wraps. He got revenge on a one-eyed Margarito which was fine, but not Margarito at his best by far. He did well against Canelo, but again, didn't get the win. It seems to me that he competed with the best of his era but didn't really beat any of them, especially in their primes. He gets into the HOF most likely, but I've never been that impressed. I did quite enjoy his early fight with Ricardo Torres. That was a barn burner, but then again, who is Ricardo Torres? It's kind of like Gatti's fight with Wilson Rodriguez. Unforgettable comeback win, but of course, who is Wilson Rodriguez? Gatti's also in the HOF. So he has a great shot at it.
              great post. yeah nothing cottos done stands out to me as amazing, when hes come up against good opponents in their primes more often hes lost, and lost pretty comprehensively.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                great post. yeah nothing cottos done stands out to me as amazing, when hes come up against good opponents in their primes more often hes lost, and lost pretty comprehensively.
                Yes, I give him credit for fighting everybody and often doing well against them, but he never pulled it off really. There's no shame in that, but when people say first ballot hall of famer, I have to wonder what first ballet really means. Is that to say he beat all kinds of top guys in his day? Because that wasn't the case.

Comment

Like or hate Cotto, he fought the best of the best without avoiding anyone. All these top fighters ducking each other is a disgrace. Thank you to Andre Ward for giving us fans good fights and stepping up to the plate to at least challenge yourself with Kov. Canela and GG are two cowards who are scared to lose. Floyd avoided bigger fights in his career also. And Pac doesn't get a pass because he did it too.

Comment

The fact is a lot of posters here didn't know about cotto until he hit 147 and 154. He was a killer coming up at 140

Comment

If he would have been a meth head, Shabu smoker and roid user he would of crushed Pacroid, also known as meth head lying manny.

Manny was blowing meth mushroom clouds.

Carakiou!

Comment

Working...
                      X