Hagler
    Hearns

All brilliant. It killed trying to put them in order

Comment

SRL/Duran
      Duran/SRL
      Hearns
      Hagler

Toss up between Duran and SRL, but SRL beat them all plus Benitez.

Comment

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
        Hearns was koed by barkley
        ...and damn near beat him in the rematch.

he also went life and death with juan roldan
        First of all, Roldan was a TOUGH bastard. Only ever really lost to three ATGs, was giving Hagler that WORK until the KO. That Hearns fought through fire and sparked that guy face down is a testament to how good Hearns really was - and debunking the theories about his chin.

was seriously hurt by james kitchen
        The guy who just a few months prior got STOPPED by the same Roldan you just talked about. Which debunks triangle theory.

Hearns was the first ever WBO Welterweight Champion, first world champion in five different weight classes. After Kinchen he went on to fight more than 20 times and in that only lost twice? And you REALLY don't acknowledge that talent?

Comment

My personal favourite is Tommy Hearns, while Duran or Hagler would be the "man's man" choice.
          However, I'd have to give #1 to Leonard.
          Beat Hearns in my all time favourite fight, pulled off the shock against Hagler and almost beat Manos de Piedra fighting entirely the wrong way.
          How to separate the others? Hagler beat Hearns (Tommy broke his hand! &#128516 who KTFO of Duran who gave Hagler fits over 15 at middleweight.
          Prolly change my mind tomorrow but I'm going with Duran second as the smallest guy who had arguably seen his best days by the time the others came on the scene.
          Third, Hagler, seven years as undisputed champion with precious few favours. Not sure why people don't give that as much credit as "weight-hopping", for me it's the epitome of dedication and consistency. Not everyone has the body to move up.
          Fourth, my fave, The Hitman. Too big for Duran, let it slip against Leonard, unlucky against Hagler.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
            ...and damn near beat him in the rematch.

First of all, Roldan was a TOUGH bastard. Only ever really lost to three ATGs, was giving Hagler that WORK until the KO. That Hearns fought through fire and sparked that guy face down is a testament to how good Hearns really was - and debunking the theories about his chin.

The guy who just a few months prior got STOPPED by the same Roldan you just talked about. Which debunks triangle theory.

Hearns was the first ever WBO Welterweight Champion, first world champion in five different weight classes. After Kinchen he went on to fight more than 20 times and in that only lost twice? And you REALLY don't acknowledge that talent?
            What the hell yiu talking about hearns being the 1st WBO welterweight champion....WBO was not even around in 1981 lol....when hearns lost to leoanrd in 1981 hearns then moved up to light middlweight lol.....please don't try and compete with me in that era becAuse i would leave for dead son.
            As for hearns i never said he wasnt talented i said he not as talented as leonard and that is widely considered by 100% by boxing experts...not some guy that has a soft spot for thomas hearns.
            Lost to leonard , hagler , barkley and almost at the same age as leonard when lost to camacho ...hearns was stopped by uriah grant.
            Sorry fellla but you have a favourite but he was not as talented as ray leonard.

Comment

What the hell yiu talking about hearns being the 1st WBO welterweight champion
              Super middleweight, not welterweight, but regardless...

Originally posted by Box
              The first championship bout sanctioned by the WBO was between Thomas Hearns and James Kinchen for the vacant super middleweight title on 4th November 1988. Hearns won the fight by majority decision, thus becoming the first WBO champion in boxing history.
              First champion PERIOD. You can verify that for yourself.

"At the end of the day", you're entitled to your wrong opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
                I don't care what criteria you use. Just rank them in your opinion.

For me, based on skill I saw with these guys:

1. Hearns
                2. Duran
                3. Leonard
                4. Hagler

This is the eye test, not fight resume. From a skill perspective.

And you might wonder why I have Hearns at #1; it's because of the four, Hearns seemed to show the most diversity and adaptation as he got more fights under his belt. At the time he fought Leonard and Hagler, especially Hagler, he hadn't addressed his fundamental flaws. But Hearns seemed to get better and better as he got older and made adjustments in areas where he was flawed.

Duran is #2 over Leonard because while Duran often looked like a wild brawler, the guy was as skilled as they come. All the little sneaky body shots out of nowhere, his head movement was underrated too. It took a lanky Hearns to really take him out and even a prime Pazienza struggled with a way past prime Duran.

Leonard is #3 because while Leonard was a skilled, talented fighter, he suffered the same fate as Roy Jones in that he heavily relied on speed and reaction time to get him through fights. While brilliant at welter, he was a pale shadow of himself at middleweight, and a declining Macho walked through him.

Hagler is to date one of my favorite fighters - skilled, quality, composed. But I have him the lowest for one reason: he only ever beat Hearns decisively. Hagler/Duran was disputed, Leonard/Hagler was disputed (but he lost).
                Leonard came out of a six year retirement for that fight with no tune ups..

Comment

Originally posted by tenPt View Post
                  Leonard came out of a six year retirement for that fight with no tune ups..
                  That's cool. Don't negate the fact that a declining Macho walked through only him, yet the others seemed capable of giving Macho at least some difficulty.

Floyd came out of a two year retirement for Marquez - then considered #2 P4P - with no tune-ups and made him look like a rookie.

Comment

1. Leonard - Has victories over all the four kings.

2. Duran - Was the first and only one of the four Kings to have
                    ever defeated Sugar Ray Leonard.

3. Hearns - Has a KO victory over Roberto Duran and a draw with
                    Leonard.

4. Hagler - Enjoys victories over at least two out of the four
                    kings (Duran, Hearns)

Comment

Duran atg @ lightweight
                      Leonard atg @ welterweight
                      Hagler atg @ middleweight
                      Hearns atg @ not sure what weight but Def an atg!

Comment

Working...
                      X