Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larry Holmes: I KNEW Stiverne Was Dehydrated In Wilder Fight, Watching From Ringside

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Holmes: I KNEW Stiverne Was Dehydrated In Wilder Fight, Watching From Ringside

This is from a few years ago, fresh after the Wilder vs Stiverne fight. As many know, Stiverne has claimed that he was severely dehydrated throughout the fight which severely effected his ability to perform.. The legendary Larry Holmes who was at ringside that night seems to validate his story here:

Larry Holmes :
    "One of the things that I noticed straight off the bat. I tried to talk to them. I'm a Don King fighter so I tried to talk to him to help the fighter (Stiverne) win the fight...

When you go to talk to him and he pays you no mind then you walk away from it and you're not getting my knowledge. In between the rounds I did get his attention and told him to put water on his head to cool him down because he was dehydrated. I could see that in between rounds.

Believe me if you're not throwing back the guy going to feel comfortable throwing punches at you because he knows nothings coming back! People don't want to listen to a guy like me, I been in the game for 38 years! Heavyweight champion for 7 and a half years!

A guy that's fought them all and they didn't want to listen to me so I didn't give them my knowledge because they weren't worthy for me to give it because they weren't listening. But I did get a note to Don King to tell them to put water on his head to try to cool him off . When they eventually listened to me, guess what they did? They put water on his head, then they put a towel on his head to keep the heat in!"

Full interview (Wilder vs Ortiz comments at the start): http://www.inthiscornerpodcast.com/round12

Download MP3 http://traffic.libsyn.com/inthiscorn...?download=true
    Last edited by FlatLine; 10-06-2017, 01:16 PM.

"When they eventually listened to me, guess what they did? They put water on his head, then they put a towel on his head to keep the heat in!"

Comment

How was he dehydrated, he didnt even have to make weight ?

Comment

I'm not Larry Holmes but I feel that a lot of corners spend so much time chatting shit and not enough time giving the fighter water, and maybe doing some deep breathing exercises, some ice on the back of the neck, maybe a waft a towel to get some airflow over their mouth and nose.

Comment

How the **** you get dehydrated at heavyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Shako93 View Post
            If you're ill. Losing fluid from your arse, your skin, and through vomiting. Or if he had some GI issue and wasn't absorbing fluid as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
              I'm not Larry Holmes but I feel that a lot of corners spend so much time chatting shit and not enough time giving the fighter water, and maybe doing some deep breathing exercises, some ice on the back of the neck, maybe a waft a towel to get some airflow over their mouth and nose.
              Agree 100%.

Corner work should be much more proficient than it often is.

I don't even get why so many cats sit down. I think that expends more energy/effort than is gained by sitting down for that minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Shako93 View Post
                Evander got dehydrated and his kidneys failed in a fight. You sweat profusely, bigger guys will also sweat a lot more and it takes more water for thier body to be hydrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  Agree 100%.

Corner work should be much more proficient than it often is.

I don't even get why so many cats sit down. I think that expends more energy/effort than is gained by sitting down for that minute.
                  Yeah, it should be more like a pit stop in car racing than anything in my view.

Comment

Prepare for a massive butthurt rant from wilder attacking holmes next.

Comment

Working...
                    X