No announcement yet.

Golden Boy is taking over as the top boxing promoter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Boy is taking over as the top boxing promoter

I'm not a Golden Boy groupie, just a boxing fan who can't help but notice that Top Rank is on the decline and Golden Boy is taking over. Not saying it's good or bad, just noticing it's happening.

GB has 11 champions right now against 3 for TR

GB controls the JMW, JWW & BW divisions, TR doesn't control any division

GB has 3 cash cows (Floyd, Canelo, Khan) against 2 for TR (Pacquiao, Chavez Jr)

I would say that GB has 3 guys that could become cash cows in the near future (Broner, Garcia, Guerrero) against 2 for TR (Bradley, Rios) but that's subjective.

GB has the most promising prospect in boxing : Gary Russell Jr

TR has no recognizable heavyweight, GB has Mitchell and Wilder and I think they have some sort of promotional deal with Haye.

All in all, I think it's the beginning of the end for TR. Not sure what it means for the sport of boxing as a whole.

Your thoughts?

it's a good thing imo

Comment

Golden Boy has the big names indeed. I like how they operate for the most part, they aren't as bad as other companies. I mean look at how fast they are bringing Angulo back into the mix. That's really good stuff.

My only issue is with their corruption surrounding drug tests right now. I don't like that one bit.

Comment

Top Rank will be back as soon as LeBouf takes over.

Hell they might even with Arum still around as they have signed quite a bit of young fighters from the amateur ranks and are still hands down the best at developing talent.

Fwiw GBP will always have the most talent, but TR makes the most of out what they do have.

The only knock on TR is Bob's unwillingness to do fights with GBP.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasheed Mexico View Post
          Top Rank will be back as soon as LeBouf takes over.

Hell they might even with Arum still around as they have signed quite a bit of young fighters from the amateur ranks and are still hands down the best at developing talent.

Fwiw GBP will always have the most talent, but TR makes the most of out what they do have.

The only knock on TR is Bob's unwillingness to do fights with GBP.
          You mean Todd Duboeuf right? For a second I thought Shia LeBouf was getting into the boxing business, following in 50 Cent and Snookie's footsteps LOL.

They did sign some good amateurs but they have a long way to go before making their mark in the pro ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
            You mean Todd Duboeuf right? For a second I thought Shia LeBouf was getting into the boxing business, following in 50 Cent and Snookie's footsteps LOL.

They did sign some good amateurs but they have a long way to go before making their mark in the pro ranks.
            lol...yeah that's what I meant (Duboeuf).

One thing I will say is GBP isn't great at creating buzz for their fighters. Floyd is pretty much a self made man but you have to think that if Canelo was with Top Rank....they would have him looking like an absolute killer right now.

When you think about how they develop guys and the buzz they create....they will always be a player in boxing.

Cotto's buzz up until 2008
            Pacquiao's run as the mexicutioner, then his post Oscar buzz
            DLH in his prime
            Margarito's post Cotto buzz

I mean they know how to match guys to make their fighters look like Killers/beast. People get mad and criticize them, but that's the whole point of being a promoter.....to make your fighter look like a machine.

Until GBP can do that....they won't pull away from the crowd. they have the talent, but look at what happens to their fighters. I mean as soon as they look good, they go out and get destroyed.

Ortiz, Kirkland, Maidana, Khan.....and the list goes on. For some reason they have the worst match making skills in boxing.

Comment

Since when is Khan a cashcow?

Also, Top Rank has Juan Manuel Marquez as a cashcow. And what do you mean by champions? Title holders? If so, that seems low for both companies.
              Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 11-26-2012, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasheed Mexico View Post
                lol...yeah that's what I meant (Duboeuf).

One thing I will say is GBP isn't great at creating buzz for their fighters. Floyd is pretty much a self made man but you have to think that if Canelo was with Top Rank....they would have him looking like an absolute killer right now.

When you think about how they develop guys and the buzz they create....they will always be a player in boxing.

Cotto's buzz up until 2008
                Pacquiao's run as the mexicutioner, then his post Oscar buzz
                DLH in his prime
                Margarito's post Cotto buzz

I mean they know how to match guys to make their fighters look like Killers/beast. People get mad and criticize them, but that's the whole point of being a promoter.....to make your fighter look like a machine.

Until GBP can do that....they won't pull away from the crowd. they have the talent, but look at what happens to their fighters. I mean as soon as they look good, they go out and get destroyed.

Ortiz, Kirkland, Maidana, Khan.....and the list goes on. For some reason they have the worst match making skills in boxing.
                I think GBP did a great job with Canelo, he's got a lot of buzz around him and does great numbers without having beaten a single elite fighter. He's a bigger draw than a guy like Brando Rios for example, who's about the same age and has been in the ring with dangerous opponents.

I don't think GBP's matchmaking skills are bad, again look at what they're doing with Canelo. TR let the Gamboa/Lopez fight marinate too long and Lopez got knocked out twice, that's not good matchmaking. Jose Benavidez got a near death experience in his last fight, one more shot and he would be TR's version of Linares.

TR will always be a player but the question is, will they be the TOP player? I don't think so.

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                Since when is Khan a cashcow?

Also, Top Rank has Juan Manuel Marquez as a cashcow. And what do you mean by champions? Title holders? If so, that seems low for both companies.
                Khan is a cash cow if you take into account the money he generates in the UK. There's a reason why he was in negotiations to fight Floyd.

Marquez is not with Top Rank, he's with Zanfer promotions, they just make a deal with TR whenever he fights Pacquiao.

From a commercial standpoint there's no difference between a legit champ and a strap holder. So 11 to 3 is pretty significant.
                Last edited by Light_Speed; 11-26-2012, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Top Rank has built fighters from the beginning to major PPV stars

GBP doesn't even have 1

Top Rank and GBP are about even right now in terms of ppv numbers (Pac-Bradley + Martinez-JCC Jr vs Floyd-Cotto) with Pac - Marquez 4 on the way. That fight will do at least 1 mill and when was the last time GBP sold more PPV's in a year than Top Rank?

I don't see GBP selling more than Top Rank any time soon

In terms of future stars its whoever can promote who better

And belts don't mean much when all the fights are in house

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                    I'm not a Golden Boy groupie, just a boxing fan who can't help but notice that Top Rank is on the decline and Golden Boy is taking over. Not saying it's good or bad, just noticing it's happening.

GB has 11 champions right now against 3 for TR

GB controls the JMW, JWW & BW divisions, TR doesn't control any division

GB has 3 cash cows (Floyd, Canelo, Khan) against 2 for TR (Pacquiao, Chavez Jr)

I would say that GB has 3 guys that could become cash cows in the near future (Broner, Garcia, Guerrero) against 2 for TR (Bradley, Rios) but that's subjective.

GB has the most promising prospect in boxing : Gary Russell Jr

TR has no recognizable heavyweight, GB has Mitchell and Wilder and I think they have some sort of promotional deal with Haye.

All in all, I think it's the beginning of the end for TR. Not sure what it means for the sport of boxing as a whole.

Your thoughts?
                    You f**ked up son!! The wrath of "edgarg" is coming soon. Better take shelter

Comment

Working...
                    X