Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Joe Smith With a Shocker, Destroys Andrzej Fonfara in One Round

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
    Horrible stoppage. There wasn't a "two KD rule." Fonfara was hurt no doubt but should have been given the count instead of automatically calling it off. A lot of times an inexperienced ref will panic because of the brutality they're witnessing and as result call it off.

In this case, Fonfara should have been afforded the full count. I think you give a fighter a chance to beat the count and display that he's OK before calling a hault to it.

The way he was slaughtered after the 1st one, I doubt his brain cells would have survived a 3rd one...

Comment

• Originally posted by Superbee View Post
      The way he was slaughtered after the 1st one, I doubt his brain cells would have survived a 3rd one...
      If you're worried about brain cells then boxing isn't your sport. I've watched countless fights where a fighter is knocked down several times, but gets up and fights on. Moreover, Fonfara looked like he was getting up from the knockdown; the ref should have at least assessed him before calling a stop to it.

Comment

• What I meant is that he was done and gone anyway... 45 secs left or so wouldn't have cut it for him... Sure him laying down for good would have been appealing though..

Comment

• Great win for Smith. He sounds like a hard working family guy who can put the paycheck he got for this fight and his upcoming big paycheck to good use.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
            Always a treat when a white American can contribute to the country's boxing standing. I just saw the highlights and it looked like Smith was hurt before scoring the first KD. I'm interested in seeing where he goes from here.
            Ah man you didn't watch it?

Comment

• Don't anyone get excited, that was nothing at allbut a lucky punch, threw it with his head down and eyes closed. He was starting to already get beaten up when that happened and would have been stopped within 5 probably. Good for him but he's not elite at all and will get beaten up and stopped im sure soon at the higher level. Respect for the win but he won't be around long lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                Horrible stoppage. There wasn't a "two KD rule." Fonfara was hurt no doubt but should have been given the count instead of automatically calling it off. A lot of times an inexperienced ref will panic because of the brutality they're witnessing and as result call it off.

In this case, Fonfara should have been afforded the full count. I think you give a fighter a chance to beat the count and display that he's OK before calling a hault to it.
                I agree regarding the first knockdown in fights. In this instance fonfara got up and nearly stumbled over the the top rope, yet the ref gave him a second chance which he should. he was completely dead at this point and fought on then got dropped again really hard. At that point I've seen enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha & Omega View Post
                  Don't anyone get excited, that was nothing at allbut a lucky punch, threw it with his head down and eyes closed. He was starting to already get beaten up when that happened and would have been stopped within 5 probably. Good for him but he's not elite at all and will get beaten up and stopped im sure soon at the higher level. Respect for the win but he won't be around long lol.

And you know this how? Didn't look like smith was that hurt to me. Let me guess you were one of the guys saying this was such a mismatch and
                  Smith was gonna get demolished. Lucky punch? Lucky punches aren't suppose to happen to the #3 wbc rated light heavyweight. I guess we will see in smiths next fight. I hope he's underated again and get 12-1 again.

Comment

• TravisGottiBoxing mentioned the possibility of doing Joe Smith vs Ward... and I think I could be on board for it. Of course Ward would be a monster favorite (but then again, Kovalev is 100-1 over Chilemba), but the dude is already in shape and only had to fight two minutes, would get a career high payday, no one would really blame him for losing, and he just knocked out a solid fighter.
                    Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 06-19-2016, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
                      Ah man you didn't watch it?
                      No I had to go to dinner for a birthday.

Comment

Working...
                      X