Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Juanma Lopez vs Yuriorkis Gamboa 2019 - Who you got?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can you believe how far the mighty have fallen? this would have been a can't miss fight for as long as it lasted. could have been a f#cking classic! it had barnburner written all over it. almost no way both guys don't go down. f#ck bob arum.

"I think, really, that we had evaluated the two fighters at the time, and we felt that Gamboa had the skills to walk through Lopez, and Lopez was a tremendous attraction, and we didn't want to lose Lopez to Gamboa," he told ESPN. "In other words, our matchmakers did not feel that fight was competitive. They felt there was one winner in that fight, so to protect Lopez, we didn't make that fight."

he's an honest guy in this case [7 years after the fact ] but f#ck bob arum.

Comment

Solid old guy/past prime guy fight. I think Juanma is probably worn down moreso than Gamboa, but idk that Gamboa is all that great these days either so who knows. Kinda curious to see this fight I gotta admit. Seems competitive-ish which is all I want from my boxing at all levels of the sport.

Comment

Gamboa would've knocked him out in their PRIME and he will knock him out now. Gamboa was always better than JuanMa

Comment

I think it all comes down to how Gamboa fights and if he decides to play it safe against Juanma, and if Juanma can still pull the trigger. Gamboa still makes the same mistakes so Juanma might have a chance to exploit that. They both have porous defense so someone is bound to get dropped or even stopped. As long as the fight is competitive and not one sided I'm okay with this fight.

Comment

Just some insight on this fight, I don't feel it changes anything but I find it interesting...

Juanma is actually looking forward to retiring, however, he has held off retiring just to fight Gamboa. From what I understand, he's not very happy with the comments that (at some point, don't really know when) Gamboa made in regards to the fight, something about Lopez not ever really wanting to fight him. I'm not sure of the specifics.

Also, some feedback from Jason Velez (sparred Gamboa for his fight against Beltran and faced Juanma recently): Gamboa's style is more complicated than Juanma's, but Juanma's power is insane. Even punches that look slow and sloppy can make your legs wobbly. (Paraphrased obviously)

My personal speculation: Jason and Juanma probably talk, and I beleive part of the reasoning behind this fight is the belief that Juanma just needs to clip Gamboa cleanly and the fight changes, but I don't really know...

Comment

Working...
            X