Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Mayweather's Style Wouldn't Work in a Street Fight"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knowing how to fight is a pretty big advantage in a street fight so any amateur or pro level combat sports participant is gonna have a nice street fight record.

Assuming similar fighting experience it'd land on fighting styles & I believe a boxing background would be a disadvantage to most other fighting styles in a street fight due to the lack of feet as a weapon usage & limited or non-existent grappling ability. The fact is most fights that don't end within a minute or two tend to end up on the ground from what I've seen & that wouldn't be a good place for a boxer vs a knowledgeable opponent.

Tldr: Mayweather is keeping his 0 in street fighting unless he runs into Jose Aldo.

Comment

It's good in a street fight with random drunks. So is karate, tae kwon do, anything that teaches you to hit someone.

If you know how to hit someone and dodge punches that places you above 99% of humanity in fighting ability.

On the other hand if you "fight like Mayweather" and run into a guy who knows basic wrestling and can see a punch coming your life is pretty much at his mercy because you would 100% be taken down and controlled.

It's all relative. Boxing is better than nothing but it's far from the best.
      Last edited by ////; 06-08-2015, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Looks like Ole Elroy1 has still got it

The British chin ain't no joke..

Comment

it only takes one missed punch in the street to get knocked out

having a good defense in the street can save your life

I've taught a lot of my friends simply boxing techniques and they would tell me how it really worked whether being jumped, people attempting to rob them, and one on one fights.

The people who think boxing techniques don't work in the street are people who either never boxed or never been in a real street fight

Comment

If you know boxing it helps but the shoulder roll won't work too much if at all in a street fight!!! If you know how to box and the other guy doesn't know ****; chances are a beating is coming. If dude knows how to wrestle and you don't connect while he drives to take your butt down, you may not last to long if all you got in your bag of ticks is boxing!

Comment

Originally posted by nerd slapper View Post
              It's good in a street fight with random drunks. So is karate, tae kwon do, anything that teaches you to hit someone.

If you know how to hit someone and dodge punches that places you above 99% of humanity in fighting ability.

On the other hand if you "fight like Mayweather" and run into a guy who knows basic wrestling and can see a punch coming your life is pretty much at his mercy because you would 100% be taken down and controlled.

It's all relative. Boxing is better than nothing but it's far from the best.
              bro I did tae kwon do in middle school, wrestled in high school and I boxed in college....knowing how to defend yourself always helps

someone trying to grapple leaves themselves open to clean shots and the average wrestler doesn't know how to block shots, parry, or slip them....plus their weight is on the front foot....they are sitting ducks for counters and quick shots

Ive used more boxing techniques in the street than wrestling in real life situations and if someone hits you right, its lights out

pro boxers have their hands registered for a reason

Comment

Mayweather would probably beat most men into a coma in a street fight.

Comment

Just like Mayweather told TI, "I don't just do this ***** in the ring."

His style does just fine in the streets.

Comment

And in the truest of arenas - The Cobbles.

Comment

damn, that second left hook what was all about?

Comment

Working...
                      X