No announcement yet.

May and September dates are the Key

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May and September dates are the Key

Canelo announcing he wants the May/September dates has cornered Floyd.. Now more than ever, the PAC fight might happen. Seems like the general consensus is that Cotto vs Canelo beats out any fight except Floyd vs PAC and maybe Floyd vs Khan... However, I think that PAC with HBO's backing could attack Floyd and corner him even more by claiming the May/Sept dates himself... PAC vs JMM 5 with Lucas vs Provo undercard easily beats out Floyd vs anyone... PAC vs Khan with same undercard, or even Canelo vs Kirkland as co-main event crushes Floyd.. They're are a few more combinations of fights I can think of, but the point is going after Showtime and Floyd in this fashion would probably have Floyd begging to fight PAC, or force him into retirement.. Thoughts???

Originally posted by Foolkiller View Post
    Canelo announcing he wants the May/September dates has cornered Floyd.. Now more than ever, the PAC fight might happen. Seems like the general consensus is that Cotto vs Canelo beats out any fight except Floyd vs PAC and maybe Floyd vs Khan... However, I think that PAC with HBO's backing could attack Floyd and corner him even more by claiming the May/Sept dates himself... PAC vs JMM 5 with Lucas vs Provo undercard easily beats out Floyd vs anyone... PAC vs Khan with same undercard, or even Canelo vs Kirkland as co-main event crushes Floyd.. They're are a few more combinations of fights I can think of, but the point is going after Showtime and Floyd in this fashion would probably have Floyd begging to fight PAC, or force him into retirement.. Thoughts???
    Your right there's no World Series , Super Bowl, or NBA championship going on.To Floyd it has nothing to do with Mexican holiday he just doesn't want to
    Compete with USA major sports when there getting the most attention. If the Super Bowl fell on May 5th weekend do you really think people would be paying attention to Floyd or the Super Bowl ?

Comment

Floyd put a lot of his business model on selling Hispanic fighters to Mexican-Americans on big Mexican holidays. Every one of his opponents since Shane Mosley has been a Hispanic fighter with a suitable Hispanic name (Ortiz, Cotto, Guerrero, Alvarez, Maidana x2). Hispanic fighters all over the undercards too. Canelo fighting on May 2nd is a big deal because he gives all those Mexican-Americans some televised boxing that they don't have to pay to see.

Comment

Those are just dates on the calendar. A big fight is a big fight and a big seller any day of the year. Those dates don't belong to Mayweather and if anything Canelo being Mexican has more claim to the right to fight on Mexican holidays.Those dates increase sales but not all that much. Any fighter who wants to fight on those dates can do so and there is nothing Floyd can do about it. I doubt the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight gets made because Floyd doesn't seem to want to fight Pacquiao. I hope I am wrong but they have tried to make this fight for five years but Floyd always says no with some BS excuse. Khan-Mayweather is not that big of fight and it looks like it will be Mayweather-Cotto, Pacquiao-Khan and Canelo-Kirkland. Canelo-Kirkland is happening on the early May date whether Floyd likes it or not.

Comment

i think if the pressure from networks, promoters, managers, advisors, 120mil, other boxers and fans cant move him to take the fight this May, nothing will. It also proves no one can legally or contractually force him and that everyone can suck a pen15 for all he cares. and if nothing can force him, then he can take guaranteed money for that last fight with a salka type fighter and no one can stop him if he decided he want to give everyone the middle finger.

Comment

FLOYDS a bum.

Comment

I think Mexican fight fans mainly want to see Mexicans fight on those holidays. I don't think they care that much about Spanish speaking fighters from other places like Puerto Rico or Argentina unless they are fighting a Mexican.

Comment

Cinco de Mayo I can see being a desirable date for Floyd but the September one I really don't see why he's so intent about it.

Comment

Working...
                X