No announcement yet.

2017 is a great year for boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stiff_back View Post
    Spence vs Brook is a very competitive fight imo. I think Khan / Pac and Canelo / Chavez Jr might be competitive, which is better than most Pac and Canelo fights tbh.

Seriously, I think you should be hyped for Brook/ Spence though. Even if you don't rate Spence (and I think you should) you've got two guys with huge KO ratios who both have some holes in their defences. Just think of it as a Provo-Matthysse type fight if you don't think that they're that skillful.

Anyway, I'm sure there are fights left to be announced in May because we're still 8 weeks for the start of the month. But even if that was it for May, can you really not say that the year has been great?

A level fights
    Jack vs Degale
    LSC vs Frampton
    Dejan vs Mikey Garcia
    Aj vs Klit
    Thurman vs Garcia
    Spence vs Brook

B level fights:
    Broner vs Granados
    Peterson vs Avansyan
    Crolla vs Linares
    Canelo vs Chavez
    Vasquez vs Collazo
    Pedraza vs Davis
    Khan vs Pac
    Harrison vs Hurd

There are probably others too, but that seems pretty good to me considering only 4 1/2 months of fights have been announced.
    The Mikey figh twasnt A level lol

Crolla v Linares is A level as it decides who's the best in the division (probably Linares again).

I wont go into all the others. Like I said, its been a good year, especially in light of a poor 2016 but none of those ifghts have been all time standards in terms of skill, acion, grit, heart etc. The match ups on papers have been pretty solid though.

It still doenst touch some of the genuinely great years in boxing. Think of a year like 2007, which was truly great.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      The Mikey figh twasnt A level lol

Crolla v Linares is A level as it decides who's the best in the division (probably Linares again).

I wont go into all the others. Like I said, its been a good year, especially in light of a poor 2016 but none of those ifghts have been all time standards in terms of skill, acion, grit, heart etc. The match ups on papers have been pretty solid though.

It still doenst touch some of the genuinely great years in boxing. Think of a year like 2007, which was truly great.
      I had a look at Boxing in 2007 on wikipedia and, 2017 has had a much better first few months without a doubt.

But what I'll grant you is that 2017 is missing a ATG/ Mega fight like May/ ODH or May/ Hatton. AJ vs Klit is pretty close to that (especially if you're from the UK like me), but there's still a long way to go in the year.

Part of the problem with boxing atm is that there aren't enough stars to make big fights. Like if Degale and Jack were superstars (both are better than Canelo and Broner imo so no reason why they couldn't be stars, hypothetically) then people would be saying that was ATG fight. But I feel that a lot of guys get overlooked because they don't have that huge hype train/ super-stardom behind them.

As a boxing fan, I am just happy that the best available fights seem to be getting made right now.

What fights would excite you?

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
        Add Brook-Spence to that list and it's a fight fans dream year so far..
        GGG-Canelo seems to be finally happening plus maybe Ward-Kov 2. Hopefully if we get Wilder-Parker this year it's a banner year for sure. Best year in a decade..

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
          Hating on Pac vs Khan (good competetive fight) and Canelo-Chavez but praise Haye vs Bellew
          Because there's friction and genuine hate between Haye and Bellew which always makes any fight interesting. Sorry, but Chavez looks like he doesn't know where he is half the time.

Comment

It's for sure looking like a good year. Kinda weird you're bringing this up after Manny vs Khan looks possible doe as that seems like a middle of the road caliber fight. I'll consider it great once we see GGG vs Canelo and ideally some good elite HW fights happening after Klitschko vs Joshua.

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
              Because there's friction and genuine hate between Haye and Bellew which always makes any fight interesting. Sorry, but Chavez looks like he doesn't know where he is half the time.
              Bellew will look worst after his fight with Haye ,it can be excating ,but if same time so wrong that fight like this is getting sanctioned ,Bellew maight get hurt.

Comment

Just a side note, I think the boxing world took a long look at the UFC and the huge year they had in 2016 and it kicked them in their collective behinds to get stuff moving. Complacency never breeds success..

Comment

I'm not mad at all.

Comment

Working...
                  X