Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baltimore Ravens pleads for fans to come back after noticeable no-shows at home games

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LMAO!] Baltimore Ravens pleads for fans to come back after noticeable no-shows at home games

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens sent out a letter this week to season-ticket holders, suite holders and sponsors about the number of no-shows at M&T Bank Stadium this season, touching upon the national anthem protest as one potential reason for it.

The letter, which was signed by team president Dick Cass, mentions how there have been empty seats in the past when the Ravens have struggled on the field. But this year is different with Baltimore in the midst of a playoff race.

"The numbers [of no-shows] are higher, and it is noticeable," Cass wrote in the 656-word letter. "There are a number of reasons for the no-shows, but surely the one-time protest in London has been a factor."

The Ravens' first national anthem protest as a team occurred in London on Sept. 24, when more than a dozen players knelt before the first NFL game of the day. That began a day-long chain of protests that came in the wake of President Donald Trump's critical comments and tweets on protests during the anthem.

The following week in Baltimore, the Ravens knelt in prayer before standing for the anthem. Fans at M&T Bank Stadium booed the players when they took a knee.

There have since been no more protests by the team.

"We have responded to your concerns about the protest by re-doubling the efforts of both the organization and our players to make the Baltimore area a better community," Cass wrote.

According to Cass, the Ravens reached out to a number of fans who wrote to the team or called about the protest. Cass also personally made a number of phone calls and met with some fans, the letter stated.

"We want the Ravens to continue to be a strong, unifying force and source of pride in our community," Cass wrote. "When the Ravens win, we can bring families and the community together. We've done that before, and we can do it again.

"In light of recent events, we are also reminded that winning alone is not always enough to make the Ravens the unifying force we want to be. We don't take your support for granted, and we know that we must continue to earn your respect and investment in us."

In the letter, Cass underscores the history of success, including two Super Bowl championships, and the team's commitment to the community.

The letter was sent out before Baltimore finishes out the regular season with home games against the Indianapolis Colts and Cincinnati Bengals. If the Ravens win out, they will clinch their first playoff berth since 2014.

"I think they're starting to get excited about this football team," coach John Harbaugh said after last Sunday's win over the Cleveland Browns, "so it should be fun in our stadium against the Colts next Saturday night."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ows-home-games

The protest as well as the new brain scan studies have turned people off the game.
    While football is still gonna be a popular sport I feel it won't be the number one sport in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by JrRod View Post
      The protest as well as the new brain scan studies have turned people off the game.
      While football is still gonna be a popular sport I feel it won't be the number one sport in a few years.
      Yep. And it's only gonna get worse because this generation grew up playing kickball.. .i mean soccer.

Parents are reluctant to let their kids play football. I grew up playing organized and unorganized football and I'm still weary about letting my son play but I do because he loves football and i don't want to deprive him off doing something i did as a child. And I'll be damned if he plays soccer

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        Yep. And it's only gonna get worse because this generation grew up playing kickball.. .i mean soccer.

Parents are reluctant to let their kids play football. I grew up playing organized and unorganized football and I'm still weary about letting my son play but I do because he loves football and i don't want to deprive him off doing something i did as a child. And I'll be damned if he plays soccer
        My job has me going in and out of elementary and middle schools. 10 years ago I walked into a class and kids were wearing football, baseball and basketball jerseys. Today it's almost exclusively soccer. You should let your son play soccer. It's gonna soon be the sport that pays more here in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by JrRod View Post
          My job has me going in and out of elementary and middle schools. 10 years ago I walked into a class and kids were wearing football, baseball and basketball jerseys. Today it's almost exclusively soccer. You should let your son play soccer. It's gonna soon be the sport that pays more here in the US.
          If he wanted to play I would let him. He has no interest in it. He's never asked me to buy him FIFA for his Xbox One and that's one of the most popular games for kids.

Comment

Another part of this is fans speaking with their wallets. Each year the cost of admission goes up, concession prices go up, parking...it can set you back a few hundred to take a family to a game these days. The NFL sold out to corporations a long time ago and banked on all those corporate seats being snatched up. Season ticket holders pay a PSL fee that can range anywhere from $1,000 to $20,000 per ticket. I read a story about Gillette Stadium charging $4.50 for a cup of tap water after they ran out of bottled water.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
              Another part of this is fans speaking with their wallets. Each year the cost of admission goes up, concession prices go up, parking...it can set you back a few hundred to take a family to a game these days. The NFL sold out to corporations a long time ago and banked on all those corporate seats being snatched up. Season ticket holders pay a PSL fee that can range anywhere from $1,000 to $20,000 per ticket. I read a story about Gillette Stadium charging $4.50 for a cup of tap water after they ran out of bottled water.
              Just flippin' ridiculous. Eventually they will price themselves out of fans and it will all come crashing down. Boring, generic, ****genized product on the field doesn't help any. I'd rather have my eyes burned out than watch two teams get together to throw 80 five yard dink and dunk passes.

Comment

Originally posted by StarshipTrooper View Post
                Just flippin' ridiculous. Eventually they will price themselves out of fans and it will all come crashing down. Boring, generic, ****genized product on the field doesn't help any. I'd rather have my eyes burned out than watch two teams get together to throw 80 five yard dink and dunk passes.
                I can barely sit through a game anymore. The officials have made themselves too big a part of the game. Constant flags and penalties. New rules each season that water down the game. You can't even look at a QB the wrong way without a flag being thrown. Too many dumb commercials and politicized halftime shows during Superbowl all lend to their declining popularity.

Comment

I can barely sit through a game anymore. The officials have made themselves too big a part of the game. Constant flags and penalties. New rules each season that water down the game. You can't even look at a QB the wrong way without a flag being thrown. Too many dumb commercials and politicized halftime shows during Superbowl all lend to their declining popularity.
                  I still watch college ball, but I can think of too many things I'd rather be doing on a Sunday than wasting it on the NFL.

Comment

Yep. It's so much more than just the protests. NASCAR experienced a drop in attendance & viewership when they soldout

Comment

Working...
                    X