Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Hindsight, Should Kovalev have avoided Andre Ward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    Yes, because IMO he beat Ward in the 1st fight.
    Say what?!

Fighters of Ward caliber ain't supposed to get beat by fighters of Kovalev caliber
    Last edited by g27region; 11-22-2017, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
      I watched and enjoyed Sergey Kovalev's tremendous accent to the top of the LHW division. Kovalev was an absolute destroyer as he KO'd most of his opponents and developed an 'air of invisibility' like that of a young Mike Tyson. Kovalev was also a real 'bad a.ss' as he seemed to enjoy dishing out punishment to his opponents.

Then came Andre Ward. Before they fought, my gut told me that Ward would win via decision and that's exactly what he did.

In hindsight, was facing a prime Andre Ward the smartest career move for Sergey Kovalev? Perhaps, he could've faced Stevenson, Beterbeiv or some of the other top guys at LHW.

Right now, that 'air of invisibility' is long gone and Kovalev is not the draw that he once was, pre Ward.

In hindsight, if you were Kovalev's promoter, would you have still made the Ward fight? What could have been done differently?
      Air of invincibility...

Comment

I watched and enjoyed Sergey Kovalev's tremendous accent to the top of the LHW division. Kovalev was an absolute destroyer as he KO'd most of his opponents and developed an 'air of invisibility' like that of a young Mike Tyson. Kovalev was also a real 'bad a.ss' as he seemed to enjoy dishing out punishment to his opponents.

Then came Andre Ward. Before they fought, my gut told me that Ward would win via decision and that's exactly what he did.

In hindsight, was facing a prime Andre Ward the smartest career move for Sergey Kovalev? Perhaps, he could've faced Stevenson, Beterbeiv or some of the other top guys at LHW.

Right now, that 'air of invisibility' is long gone and Kovalev is not the draw that he once was, pre Ward.

In hindsight, if you were Kovalev's promoter, would you have still made the Ward fight? What could have been done differently?
        Honestly-I don't think so AT ALL. He was blatantly robbed the first fight, and the second fight ended on controversy as well.

Most fans see it that way. And if ward is most analysts pfp #1, and kovalev was able to perform like that against him. What does that make kovalev? Almost pfp #1, maybe slightly behind Ward.

IMO his stock went up. NO one has EVER been able to box ward like that, especially with the home cooking ref and judges. I don't think most people understand how disadvantaged Kovalev was even before he stepped into the ring. Billionaires like Jay z had vested interest in Ward winning.

Had the fights been in Russia Kov prob would have won both.

The second fight was razor thin before the KO nut shot.

Guess who is retired and guess who is still fighting> Fans have short memories, a few big KO wins for Kovalev and he'll be right back where he was.

You guys as boxing fans are obsessed with the "ruined" idea. And you don't really understand how advantageous it is for big name AMericans to always fight in the U.S.

Comment

No. Top guys should fight each other, someone will lose, it isnt that big a deal.

Comment

No I don't think he should have avoided Ward. Kov was robbed in that first fight. We had two of the top LHW fighting in their prime, which is the way it is supposed to be. Chickenson wouldn't fight him, and Beterbiev was still a little green.

In hindsight, Kovalev should have fouled Ward in the rematch the same way he was being fouled. One good uppercut to the family jewels may have been enough to keep Ward on his guard. Also, JDJ may not have been the best trainer for him. So if I would change anything, I would have hired a trainer who had my best interest at heart. Not someone who was colluding with Virgil Hunter which was a conflict of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by g27region View Post

Say what?!

Fighters of Ward caliber ain't supposed to get beat by fighters of Kovalev caliber
              I scored Kov Ward I 114-113 for Kov. 6-6 with Kov getting the point for the KD.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                I scored Kov Ward I 114-113 for Kov. 6-6 with Kov getting the point for the KD.
                ward lost the first fight, no use in arguing with fanboys

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
                  Air of invincibility...
                  Good catch

Comment

Yes. Because he got fkn pwnd...

Comment

I watched and enjoyed Sergey Kovalev's tremendous accent...
                      I've never been a fan of Russian accents myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X