Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the WBA force Thurman and Matthysse to unify?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
    I'd rather see him fight the Machine then fighting Danny or Shawn again. Fun fight even though Thurman wins anyway he wants but Matthysse will come to fight and packs power.
    Sh^t idk I think Lucas looked like garbage the other night. I think Thurman vs Porter II is the funner fight & honestly I don't feel a strong need to see that one again, but I'd rather see it than Thurman vs Matthysse. I would take Lucas over Garcia doe.

Lucas' power doesn't seem like its anywhere near as good as at 140. If he still had that power I'd be in complete agreement with you.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
      That's what the IBF does. So most of the big stars avoid the IBF and you have a bunch of low level mandatory challengers.
      They should all do it so that there is no escape for the promoters.

Or ideally there should only be one sanctioning body that does it.

Comment

They'll have to order it eventually because they actually do intend to eliminate all of the super titles, but it won't be any time soon.

The WBA changed their rules to make it clear that the world champion isn't automatically the mandatory to the super champion. So that alone gives the WBA more leeway to avoid calling for that fight for a year or two at least. Last I spoke to Mendoza, he promised by the end of 2019, all super titles would be gone. But that is still two years away.

That's one of the main reasons the sanctioning bodies exist. To mediate between rival promoters so fights that normally wouldn't happen can happen. But it's a delicate balance because the fans often side with the fighter when the fighter refuses to cooperate.

Do you know how the WBA intends to eliminate the extra title? In the case of having two 'champions' in a division would they be forced to fight for it?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          They should all do it so that there is no escape for the promoters.
          Then promoters will start supporting the IBO or the IBA. The sanctioning bodies only have however much power promoters choose to accept giving them.

Or ideally there should only be one sanctioning body that does it.
          Up to the fans to stop accepting another sanctioning body every time Arum tries to prop one up. He's the biggest reason there are 3, let alone 4.

Comment

Do you know how the WBA intends to eliminate the extra title? In the case of having two 'champions' in a division would they be forced to fight for it?
            Yes, the WBA has slowly been ordering fights that eliminate the super title. The world champion and super champion will eventually have to meet in every division, but the WBA has a lot of leeway on the timing because their rules no longer dictate that the world champion is automatically the super champion's mandatory. Which is how Povetkin is AJ's mandatory instead of Charr.

They are about half way right now to eliminating all of the super titles. Can they eliminate all of them by the end of next year? Hopefully. But Mendoza isn't a man of his word the way Sulaiman is. When Sulaiman makes a promise, it's really important to him to keep it. Mendoza doesn't have that same quality.

Comment

I sure hope not. Matthysse was given a poor fighter to beat in order to win a title. I don't take him seriously as a champion.To force Thurman to fight Matthysse takes Thurman away from better fights with guys like Porter, Garcia, Crawford and hopefully someday Spence. The Matthysse I saw yesterday has almost no chance to beat Thurman.

Comment

Ya, they've slowly been ordering the world champions and super champions to fight each other. Also, sometimes a guy moves up in weight or retires and the super title becomes vacant and they just don't bring it back.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  They shouldn't mediate, though.

They should stick to their rankings and their rulebook and just order fights. Completely independent of the promoters.
                  Totally agree with this, phuck that mediating rubbish. Order the fight according to your protocol, strip the ones that dont want none of their titles or ranking or mandatory shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
                    Totally agree with this, phuck that mediating rubbish. Order the fight according to your protocol, strip the ones that dont want none of their titles or ranking or mandatory shot.
                    Then you end up with all of these low level IBF mandatories that everybody complains about.

Comment

Then you end up with all of these low level IBF mandatories that everybody complains about.
                      Am fine with that. Sometimes you got to make a stand.

Comment

Working...
                      X