Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vitor Belfort explains why he chose to fight ‘friend’ Lyoto Machida at UFC 224

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitor Belfort explains why he chose to fight ‘friend’ Lyoto Machida at UFC 224

Vitor Belfort guarantees he will enter the Octagon for the last time when he faces Lyoto Machida at UFC 224 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on May 12, and he wanted to explain why he “chose” to do it against a friend.

“The Phenom” will take on “The Dragon” on the last bout of his current contract with the UFC, and he posted a lengthy statement Saturday on social media saying that the fight with Machida is a message of “respect” to the MMA world, reaffirming his stance against trash talk.

Both Belfort and Machida – former UFC light heavyweight champions – are coming off close decision victories in Brazil. Belfort defeated Nate Marquardt last June at UFC 212, while Machida scored a split-decision win over Eryk Anders at UFC Belem.

Check Belfort’s full statement below:

I’m over 20 years being relevant in this sport. I broke a lot barriers and paved the way for a generation after me. I am one of the pioneers of the sport and I’m proud it it.

I could not walk into the octagon for the last time without sending a relevant message to the: athletes, fans and to the sport itself.

That is the reason why I chose to fight a friend of mine. An athlete that I have a lot respect. A good person a family man. I’m against the so famous “trash talk”. MMA is a sport!

A sport that myself and a lot of family men work really hard to support our families. Lyoto and I have known each other for many years, I know his family and we have trained together. I wanted this fight to take place in Brazil because that is where everything started and now it’s time for us to send another message to the world.

And the message is:

RESPECT!

May 12th (Machida) and I will step into the octagon as professionals and we still be friends.

Always respecting each other and the way we will do that is giving our best in the octagon.

I want people to understand that you don’t have to be a bully to be a fighter, you have to be a real man.

And that is exactly what the world is in need, real man willing to pay the price to make a difference.

I want to see the Dragon and the Phenom end their career together. They did more than enough in the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
      I want to see the Dragon and the Phenom end their career together. They did more than enough in the sport.
      The bad thing is, whoever wins will likely fight at least one more time.

Comment

Machida takes this

Comment

Originally posted by musiol View Post
          Machida takes this
          Overseas Vitor might be on his medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            Overseas Vitor might be on his medicine.
            Hahah we'll know come weigh-in for sure.

Wasn't Machida popped too, doe??

Comment

Originally posted by Cheek busting View Post
              Hahah we'll know come weigh-in for sure.

Wasn't Machida popped too, doe??
              Vitor is notorious ever since the old days of UFC. Vitor has been around forever.

Comment

They should just both retire after this.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  They should just both retire after this.
                  The winner likely wont.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    The winner likely wont.
                    I agree and I find that to be kind of sad.

Comment

Working...
                    X