No announcement yet.

1947 Jersey Joe Walcott vs 1979 Larry Holmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Holmes was down on the cards against Cooney? Did you see the fight? Holmes was the better fighter from beginning to end. That a robbery could have occurred is irrelevant if you actually watch the fight. Not to mention this was talked about at the time. Boxrec is not a reliable source to go on to judge a fight.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.8bf429241998

https://mobile.nytimes.com/1982/06/1...-decision.html
    Larry took Cooney to school and gave him a failing grade. Is ridiculous saying Cooney was winning that fight. I don't care about any of the score sheets of fans and media.
    Last edited by TonyGe; 05-23-2018, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I like Holmes to decs. Joe over 15 rds.
      The Holmes jab and his great right hand will do the job on the always game Walcott.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
        --- Than post the utube clip and we'll update our scoring for a round by rd debate.

Then we can do the cherry where Lar runs away against the 4 rd fighter 330 lb Butterbean for 10 rds that sees Lar knocked down and running away from the refs count he was so humiliated.

Lar my favorite fighter!
        Sure, I'll be happy to do that. In fact, I'll give it it's very own thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
          Larry took Cooney to school and gave him a failing grade. Is ridiculous saying Cooney was winning that fight. I don't care about any of the score sheets of fans and media.
          Cooney fought well enough early on and had success in spots of a number of rounds. The problem was he never controlled the fight and he faded down the stretch. This can be blamed on his team for feeding him soft touches and never getting him the rounds he needed to develop. If he had waited 2 more years and gotten some experience under his belt he may have been able to defeat Holmes. As it was, he was outclassed by the smarter, more durable fighter. It was the difference between a good fighter and a great fighter.

Comment

Cooney fought well enough early on and had success in spots of a number of rounds. The problem was he never controlled the fight and he faded down the stretch. This can be blamed on his team for feeding him soft touches and never getting him the rounds he needed to develop. If he had waited 2 more years and gotten some experience under his belt he may have been able to defeat Holmes. As it was, he was outclassed by the smarter, more durable fighter. It was the difference between a good fighter and a great fighter.
            How long have you stayed bald? I've always wanted to try it, but not sure I'd like how it would look on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              How long have you stayed bald? I've always wanted to try it, but not sure I'd like how it would look on me.
              Been shaving it for about 23 years. Had a full lush head of hair when I started.....now I don't.

Comment

Been shaving it for about 23 years. Had a full lush head of hair when I started.....now I don't.
                Wow, long time. Very Stone Cold Steve Austin or Bruce Willis looking now.

Comment

I went back and rewatched it for the first time since it was aired. It was much closer than I remembered. With the two knockdowns and the point deduction Larry wasn't in danger of losing but your right Gerry fought well.
                  Last edited by TonyGe; 05-24-2018, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                    Skill for skill there isn't much in it at all. Easily two of my favourite heavyweights. I do favour Larry slightly due to his greater reach and natural size advantage.
                    Yeah the only reason I favor Holmes is his size and reach advantage. But it wouldn't be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                      I like Holmes to decs. Joe over 15 rds.
                      The Holmes jab and his great right hand will do the job on the always game Walcott.

Ray
                      What I was thinking, but I think Walcott makes it a tough night

Comment

Working...
                      X