Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any experience with a person with drug,alcohol,or depression issues?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
    One of my long time friends is basically spiraling out of control with drugs,drinking,and depression. How do you go about helping this person? His parents are both dead and he doesn't speak to his brother so I think I'm probably the closest person he has. It's just a sad situation really.

He's going to ****ing die if he doesn't get help and sober up.
    Its not something you can tackle yourself.

The Lord has done wonders in reforming the lives of addicts, and other wise broken and castaways on the road of life... I've seen miracles in that regard. If there is anything that can breathe new life and purpose into someone's life..it's faith.

If you are a church going man, I would suggest inviting him to your church.

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
      Its not something you can tackle yourself.

The Lord has done wonders in reforming the lives of addicts, and other wise broken and castaways on the road of life... I've seen miracles in that regard. If there is anything that can breathe new life and purpose into someone's life..it's faith.

If you are a church going man, I would suggest inviting him to your church.
      I don't really go much anymore.

Comment

My cousin was alcoholic and he killed himself after his girl left him I wish I told his family about it instead of just covering for him until he got over it
        would tell you to call his brothers or whatever family he has don't enable his problems don't go drinking with dude and definitely don't give the money

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
          That's something I'm very worried about.
          Yeah...... Help him out at times, just don't bend over backwards for him. Life is tough, yes, but he's a grown man. Every man needs to find their own way in life.

Comment

I guess I should've mentioned this in the OP,it would be hard for me to tell anyone to chill out on the drinking and pills. I was never as bad off as him but I have had of and on addiction problems in the past,like most of the men in my family. Pills in particular.

Comment

As Russian Crushin' said, in a nutshell, the individual themselves have to want to quit said substances themselves (addiction overall). If they don't want to change they simply wont, and 'surprise' intervention may push them down the rabbit hole further.

If they weren't expecting it, said addiction would be the coping method after said intervention-due to what they'll perceive as stress (generally this is, there are exceptions to the rule, here and there).

I would say the condition 'Depression' is a different animal compared to simple addiction. Although addiction is a destination met due to depression in many cases.

That element (the above paragrar) is a 'grey area' imo due to several factors (I'm not doing a funting essay on it, ha!).
              If the case is an addiction, due to being clinically depressed, the soured 'depression' should be addressed first, it can be slow. But in this context Depression is the key to the door that is addiction. The key must be attained first, before cleaning the room (metaphorically speaking).

If someones addicted to something out of no reason but abuse 'for fun', I have less sympathy towards their issue. I've known 3/4 friends in this position. Ketamine a tranquiliser and temepam (stronger than Valium and a benzo too) seemed their vices, as in day to day use.

I suggested they should lay back their use a bit (they were, and maybe still now are in to it all). But because in essence they had no plans to quit or ever bring the topic up anyway I saw they where the type that don't WANT to quit, haven't heard from them in 2 years maybe 3. I saw what day to day use of them types of substances did to these guys and wanted no part of it.

Sure i'll have a few lines of Ket myself, but like a couple times a year and not a hundred pounds worth a week, all the time plus heavy benzos. Got away from that crowd.

My experience is the ones hooked cos' they like doing it for fun then subsequently getting hablt hooked are time wasters, they 'chose' it and will quit as and when they want, you can't help them if its what they want.

Whereas if depression and suchlike are a seed as to why an individual abuses any substance and end up hooked due to regular use, more of these types are w
              willing to quit, if you can help address the ghosts in their closet.
              The more they can deal with and cope with conditions such as depression, anxiety. insomnia etc etc. With qualified medical and just as important, a support system whether family, friends or both...
              The less they feel the need for escapism, as they gain a handle over their issues, issues which, would be solved better sobre anyway.

Druggies whom do s.hit for fun, but then get hooked, they're switched on more, waiting for the next score (of whatever substance they require), more calculated, and generally selfish (get greedy, say 5 pot smokers fill a communal, to share dish off buds of weed, that selfish one will take more than his share out of the bowl and get it in them.

The one with an underlying mental health issue, they are grateful for whatever they can get to smoke/sniff/swallow. They just want escapism. The 'ok' ones who take a lot of shizz, often, theyre more sly, selfish with their drugs, its for fun as far as theyre concerned. The depressed people/ other conditions are more likely to take whatever drug for relief/escapism from their woes.

Whether its for humble reasons/escapism or hedonistic reasons, extended exposure of stuff will get all hooked. But based on what ive wrote freestyle here, there are two types of addict. Not all are in any 'pain' or mentally ruined, many addicts choose that path to start with 'for fun'. I dunno guys, they seem the more dickish ones, then the ones whom start abusing a substance due to underlying mental issues to start with (self mediction) you can work with them , they may want help, and are most likely to ask for it....imo.

There is a 'class' element to it I guess, though arguments can be made that the upper class take just as much drugs too, I mean, they have the fuppin money to get as much whatever they want i'd assume surely. That case ive witnessed personally and would attest to.

Time for a joint. I shouldn't post long posts when drunk really, its probably a load of sh.ite haha.
              Last edited by RightJab; 04-09-2016, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Also, getting him to go to one of those meetings where people with similar problems sit in a circle and tell the others about their issues vocally does wonders I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by BigNuts View Post
                  Also, getting him to go to one of those meetings where people with similar problems sit in a circle and tell the others about their issues vocally does wonders I hear.
                  I'd 2nd this idea massively, good call BigNuts, the practice of simply voicing your problem(s) out loud to a specific and relevant peer group that will likely 'get' you could help.
                  It's the saying out loud to someone else and the whys of your situation, I feel better if I'm plagued with problems that pop up when I've expressed my woes to a friend or two.

It's like a mental unload, purely because its been said out loud, a degree of liberation could be felt in some is something i'd imagine can be the 1st step in the right direction.

Comment

Tell him the truth about the situation and give him a reality check, you can also try to get him out of this by for example travelling with him or something, just go somewhere different for a couple of weeks and try to introduce him to new people and new places. Unfortunatley that's almost all you can do, change has to come from within, the one thing that u can do however if things got really out of control is to get him professional help, there are facilities and rehab for such things and sometimes these things actually work.

Best of luck to both of you.

Comment

Don't be a buzz kill. Nothing ruins a good high like an intervention.

Comment

Working...
                      X