Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Mayweather choose the gloves for Marcos Maidana to wear?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V.WEBB View Post
    None of what you suggested would ever happen, so yea, it sounds (and is) absurd. And the individual sports that you mention are not sports where they are competing against the "field" and not against just one person/athlete. Therefore, dictating to "field" about what they can wear and can't, just will not happen.

I actually think it's silly that this is even a discussion. This is boxing. All kind of things are in contracts that are agreed upon by both fighters. I just think the "outcry" of this thread is based of who is involved. It's really not a big deal if MM will be "forced" to wear Grants or not.
    None of that would ever happen because it is a ridiculous concept, which is somehow ok for boxing, because there is not commission to oversee and control it. You just said its about individual sports, who cares if its against 1, or more than one opposition? In boxing, you are also competing against a "field", which just happens to be a field of 1.

Fine what if in tennis you choose what racket they could use, or what shoes they could wear, in bowling what ball they could use, etc.

If what gloves a fighter could wear wasnt a big deal, then why make that type of stipulation?

Comment

Fine, tennis is not a team sport. Should Sharapova tell Serena what size racket to use? Hell no!

Comment

erik morales made him wear winning pillow gloves. maidana can be seen training with those gloves now. i've only ever seen him train/fight in everlast gear.

plenty of top fighters train with winning though, i hear they're very comfortable, so i think he simply made a switch. if he is forced to wear something it will probably be grant.

Comment

If you listen to the mayweather's talk they want every advantage possible. the glove brand is more of a psychological battle than physical.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
            None of that would ever happen because it is a ridiculous concept, which is somehow ok for boxing, because there is not commission to oversee and control it. You just said its about individual sports, who cares if its against 1, or more than one opposition? In boxing, you are also competing against a "field", which just happens to be a field of 1.
            OK. A field of one. Where they agreed to the stipulations of a contract to fight.

Fine what if in tennis you choose what racket they could use, or what shoes they could wear, in bowling what ball they could use, etc.
            Do they sign and agree to individual contracts before facing each other when they participate in the huge tournaments? US Open, etc?

If what gloves a fighter could wear wasnt a big deal, then why make that type of stipulation?
            More times than that, this kind of stipulation (glove brand) is done because said fighter is the A side and wants to dictate to the other. It's part of the game.

However, this thread was made for the sole reason of complaining about something that will not make a difference in the fight. It's a grasp at straws to say that MM won't be at full strength come fight night and it's FM's fault. It's hilarious.

Comment

If it doesn't make a difference why does Floyd go throw the pain of all these little battles. The answer is simple. It does make a difference because it's a psychological battle before the fight begins.

Comment

Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post
                erik morales made him wear winning pillow gloves. maidana can be seen training with those gloves now. i've only ever seen him train/fight in everlast gear.

plenty of top fighters train with winning though, i hear they're very comfortable, so i think he simply made a switch. if he is forced to wear something it will probably be grant.
                Erik Morales would never do something that. Legends don't need to make guys were pillows on their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by whytetittie View Post
                  Fine, tennis is not a team sport. Should Sharapova tell Serena what size racket to use? Hell no!
                  Uhhhh, what?

Comment

garcia also wore winning in their first fight. he normally fights with reyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post
                      garcia also wore winning in their first fight. he normally fights with reyes.
                      No way!

Comment

Working...
                      X