Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sonny Liston was 6'1 yet had an 84 inch reach, another other similar examples?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny Liston was 6'1 yet had an 84 inch reach, another other similar examples?

Liston was 6'1, with 84 inch wingspan. I know there are no similar boxers at heavyweight who had such long arms for their height. What about in the lower weight classes?

5 feet 8 is 5 inches shorter than 6'1, have their been any fighters 5'8 who had an 79' inch reach? Or 5'4 with a 75 inch reach? I don't know.

Please note, it has been stated Liston was 6'0.5 in height, ie 6 foot and half an inch, but i'm going with 6'1 to keep this easy.

Mayweather. Paul Williams. Shane Mosley. Hamed? Odlanier Solis?

Comment

Originally posted by KO'er View Post
      Liston was 6'1, with 84 inch wingspan. I know there are no similar boxers at heavyweight who had such long arms for their height. What about in the lower weight classes?

5 feet 8 is 5 inches shorter than 6'1, have their been any fighters 5'8 who had an 79' inch reach? Or 5'4 with a 75 inch reach? I don't know.

Please note, it has been stated Liston was 6'0.5 in height, ie 6 foot and half an inch, but i'm going with 6'1 to keep this easy.
      That's a good question Erik morrales had really long arms for his height and weight class I think he had like a 72inch wing span.

Hagler seemed to have pretty long arms 75inches he was like 5'6 or something

Comment

hagler was 5'8 and 1/2 and had a long 75 inch reach
        tommy burns was 5'7 and had 74 inch reach

Comment

Originally posted by KO'er View Post

My comment would be that the only official vital stat in boxing is the weight. Every other stat is usually supplied by the fighter's management. You see lies about fighter's height all the time. Just assume that reach is exaggerated too. I trust my eyes more than the listed stats.

Comment

If we use 6'1" as Liston's height, and a wingspan of 84", it gives him a reach/height ratio of 1.151 - the highest of any world champion.

Most commonly, though, we see Liston listed with a height of 6'0½" - which ups the ratio slightly to 1.159.

However, this is "beaten" by former Olympic champion Ted Morgan who at just 5'8" had a reach of 80" - for a reach/height ratio of 1.176!

Comment

No you will be hard pressed to find anyone because it is common knowledge that Liston did not have 84" reach as we describe it today.

Liston's reach reading included finger length back then. Today it is measured to the end of the fist.

Another myth BUSTED!

Comment

Retired super middleweight Charles Brewer had 78 inch reach. Which is two longer than current cruiserweight champ Guillermo Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo1 View Post
                  No you will be hard pressed to find anyone because it is common knowledge that Liston did not have 84" reach as we describe it today.

Liston's reach reading included finger length back then. Today it is measured to the end of the fist.

Another myth BUSTED!
                  Boy oh boy. Couple that with the fact that he was an unskilled oaf, and it's a wonder he was able to beat Machen, Williams, and Patterson, eh Tommo1?

Comment

He till did have disproportionate arms to his height but it must be adjusted to the truth.

The other things are undeniable about him and are evidenced on video and statistically proven. Of course he was the best in the world until Ali still.

Comment

Working...
                    X