No announcement yet.

Leonard V McLarnin rare footage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    Not a great example of Leonard, considering he was almost a decade passed his best, in his mid 30s and very slow. In my personal ATG list (which is in the process of being edited): http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=608842

I had the ghetto wizard in at 5.
    Oh I am very aware of that, this video is more a demonstration of the savagery of McLarnin, of course Leonard was nowhere near his prime and in an opponent like Lew Tendler you had a fighter with a similar attitude to McLarnin and temperament and similar aggressive style and Leonard generally had Tendler under control but they were great fights suggesting that Leonard didn't have those fights go all his way. The other reason I put the video up is that we only have one other film of Leonard and this one is rare. I also think a prime Leonard beats McLarnin at LW

Comment

You can definitely see flashes of Leonards craft. Good vid.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
        Oh I am very aware of that, this video is more a demonstration of the savagery of McLarnin, of course Leonard was nowhere near his prime and in an opponent like Lew Tendler you had a fighter with a similar attitude to McLarnin and temperament and similar aggressive style and Leonard generally had Tendler under control but they were great fights suggesting that Leonard didn't have those fights go all his way. The other reason I put the video up is that we only have one other film of Leonard and this one is rare. I also think a prime Leonard beats McLarnin at LW
        Yeah, if we're talking McLarnin, he was a real aggressive, strong little fighter.

In terms of Leonard, I think I've seen more footage, possibly on ESPN when they did a little doc on the wizard. You might wanna check it out. Or my memory is just playing tricks on me lol

Comment

Yeah, if we're talking McLarnin, he was a real aggressive, strong little fighter.

In terms of Leonard, I think I've seen more footage, possibly on ESPN when they did a little doc on the wizard. You might wanna check it out. Or my memory is just playing tricks on me lol
          I do have a big feeling that not all the old fights available from the early days is on youtube, I know for a fact that every big fight of Les Darcy was filmed yet only a few fights of his are on youtube, so where are the other films ? all gone ?......... and that's just one boxer, how many others have missing film that exists in somebody's garage ? is there in fact some film of Harry Greb or Barbados Joe Walcott and Jack Britton etc ?

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
            I do have a big feeling that not all the old fights available from the early days is on youtube, I know for a fact that every big fight of Les Darcy was filmed yet only a few fights of his are on youtube, so where are the other films ? all gone ?......... and that's just one boxer, how many others have missing film that exists in somebody's garage ? is there in fact some film of Harry Greb or Barbados Joe Walcott and Jack Britton etc ?
            Yeah, YouTube has some gaps in it's library. I think I read somewhere that ESPN has the largest library of boxing matches in history. So anytime you see an old doc on the channel, tune in. I've sen stuff about Johnson, Leonard, Robinson et al, heck I've even seen footage of Robinson as a skinny teenager lol I''m not sure if you can get that on YouTube.

Comment

Yeah, YouTube has some gaps in it's library. I think I read somewhere that ESPN has the largest library of boxing matches in history. So anytime you see an old doc on the channel, tune in. I've sen stuff about Johnson, Leonard, Robinson et al, heck I've even seen footage of Robinson as a skinny teenager lol I''m not sure if you can get that on YouTube.
              I think ESPN don't show the entire collection they brought from Big Fight Inc. because of copyright issues.

Also I don't think there's as much in there as people think, it's become mythical almost, the stuff that they aren't showing.

heck I've even seen footage of Robinson as a skinny teenager lol I''m not sure if you can get that on YouTube.
              Clips of golden gloves contests? It's on youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Round Baby View Post
                You can definitely see flashes of Leonards craft. Good vid.
                Thats the point really isn't it? Sure Leonard was past it but one could see how he used his footwork, his timing (he really caught Mclearan (sp?) clean when he timed him after a flurry occasionally, etc. You could still see what a great fighter Leonard was in this match.

When Tyson fought Holmes it was similar in one respect, Holmes was able to extend and outbox Iron Mike for a time and one could extrapolate that a younger Holmes would have been a real test for mike.

Comment

If they can't show them, why own them then? Let someone else have them so they can be aired, because they always show the same damn fights, ESPN Classics a holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    If they can't show them, why own them then? Let someone else have them so they can be aired, because they always show the same damn fights, ESPN Classics a holes.
                    They brought the collection off Big Fights Inc. who didn't have ownership rights of each piece of footage in their possession.

They can't air them as they don't have legal ownership/permission to do so, or some may be public domain - so once aired, are able to be copied and shared without any legal comeback or financial profit.

Essentially it is the same as any other private collection.

Comment

Working...
                    X