Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Guerrero do better against Floyd than Cotto?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he might give Floyd a harder fight. Cotto was past his prime and coming off some bad beatings by Margarito and Pacquiao. Cotto lacks the stamina to pressure Floyd with a fast pace. Floyd is older now than when he fought Cotto and he has been out of action for a while. Guerrero is dead in his prime and coming off two good wins so he should be at his best. Guerrero has never taken a beating.He is fearless and tough and come to the ring in top condition. He has the stamina and constant attacking style to put some real pressure on old Floyd. He is a southpaw and a smart determined fighter. I don't think he will win but I do think he will give Floyd a harder fight than Cotto did.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      I agree. Against Katsidis he was masterful from long range. And the few times Kats was able to get in close he had an answer for that too: he nailed him with right uppercuts.

At 147 what impressed me is that he was willing to abandon his classy boxing and get a little rough. Just to show his toughness and strength and to prove that these guys weren't going to be able to push him around.

All in all he's a very versatile fighter.
      Against Katsidis,who was his best win at LW..Katsidis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guerrero is such and unknown it's not even funny..Berto Aydin and Katsidis!!!!!!!Oh boy..Masterful boxing..

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
        I think he might give Floyd a harder fight. Cotto was past his prime and coming off some bad beatings by Margarito and Pacquiao. Cotto lacks the stamina to pressure Floyd with a fast pace. Floyd is older now than when he fought Cotto and he has been out of action for a while. Guerrero is dead in his prime and coming off two good wins so he should be at his best. Guerrero has never taken a beating.He is fearless and tough and come to the ring in top condition. He has the stamina and constant attacking style to put some real pressure on old Floyd. He is a southpaw and a smart determined fighter. I don't think he will win but I do think he will give Floyd a harder fight than Cotto did.
        Are you kiddin? Guerrero has taken considerable punishment in his career. So much so I don't see him lasting another year or two in boxing. He's taken serious beatings. When Plantanos Diaz beat him, he hit Guerrero alooooot. Salido, gave him a beating too. Aydin also hit him viciously. And Berto hit him badly throughout the fight. He got hit so bad that in my opinion, either Guerrero has the greatest iron chin in boxing, or he is undoubtedly on drugs. But whether it's drugs or iron chin, all these beatings have an effect on the brain.

After the Berto fight, Guerrero said that his trainer said he cannot fight like how he did against Berto anymore because his career will end very very soon if he keeps it up. And Guerrero said himself that its true, his career won't last long if he continues.

But that is Guerreros preferred and best fighting style. He's been doing it for so long, it's not possible to change now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
          Against Katsidis,who was his best win at LW..Katsidis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          For what it's worth he handled Katsidis much easier than JMM did. Pretty much won every round.

Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
          But that is Guerreros preferred and best fighting style. He's been doing it for so long, it's not possible to change now.
          I disagree. Guerrero's preferred style is to box, not to brawl. The fact that he has shown the ability to do both (and the fact the he was able to brawl successfully against welterweights) is what impresses me about him. He is not one dimensional.

That's not to say that he will beat Floyd. But he should be very competitive with him.

Comment

No Cotto is a much better fighter

Comment

For what it's worth he handled Katsidis much easier than JMM did. Pretty much won every round.

I disagree. Guerrero's preferred style is to box, not to brawl. The fact that he has shown the ability to do both (and the fact the he was able to brawl successfully against welterweights) is what impresses me about him. He is not one dimensional.

That's not to say that he will beat Floyd. But he should be very competitive with him.
              Floyd's night is going to be very easy when he backs Guerrero up

Comment

I think Cotto did pretty damn well. He clearly lost but also clearly won a few rounds. More than anyone else in several years.

No Guerrero will not put up a better fight i think.

Comment

Nah I was more impressed with Marquez win over Kat's because he was a smaller man..While Guerrero was a giant at LW..Oh and Marquez stopped Kat's bro hell naw!!!

Comment

When he's fighting weak or mediocre opponents, he may box. But in tough fights, he almost always dogfights. He did it with Diaz, Salido, Aydin, Berto, etc. That ranges from years ago to last year alone. His career will be ending shortly because he's taken lots of beatings because of that reckless style, eating punches like candy. He is a big time candidate for brain damage at an early age.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                      Floyd's night is going to be very easy when he backs Guerrero up
                      Reading Floyd's comments on the fight it sounds like that will be his plan and it's the right one I think. I still like this fight and do believe Guerrero has a chance depending on how the fight goes, but what you said is how to beat Guerrero - come right at him and get him going backward right from the jump. It takes him off his game and he becomes much more hittable. I'll be interested to see how long Guerrero can hold his ground, or possible keep the fight turning in the middle of ring to prevent getting pushed back. If he can't then you might be right, Floyd could put on a show.

Comment

Working...
                      X