No announcement yet.

The top 15 GREATEST BOXERS OF ALL TIME

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
    I don’t need boxrec when it’s comes to the 70’s 80’s and 90’s it’s my forte and I breathed that era and if you want to put a wager on that era let me know lol as I said we can reel of fighters that we both don’t know...it was luis the bull vega and Leonard earned 40k for his 1st pro fight and paid of all his investors and bought his career back. You will not find that information on boxrec lol
    You had to go to boxrec to find out who a HOFer in Sammy Angott was. Also did not know B Brannon was when you claim to know about he the 90s. Brannon was not a big name, but you were saying how you knew all about Roy Jones and that is a WELL KNOWN KO of his because of how he stopped him. I pasted your test, you failed on mine.BTW the Vega fight went the distance(6rds I think)and if I remember right he fought more at middle(or maybe that was Geraldo I'm thinking of)

Comment

• Originally posted by john l View Post
      You had to go to boxrec to find out who a HOFer in Sammy Angott was. Also did not know B Brannon was when you claim to know about he the 90s. Brannon was not a big name, but you were saying how you knew all about Roy Jones and that is a WELL KNOWN KO of his because of how he stopped him. I pasted your test, you failed on mine.BTW the Vega fight went the distance(6rds I think)and if I remember right he fought more at middle(or maybe that was Geraldo I'm thinking of)
      that’s Marcos Geraldo who boxed mostly at middleweight who took hagler all the way and got wiped out by Thomas hearns.
      Robinson was a lot like Jones in terms of challengers......90% cans and cans I have no interest in.
      As I said anytime you want a wager on a challenge let me know.

Comment

• Duran, the greatest lightweight and arguably the best fighter to ever lace them up didn't even crack your top 15? Now I know these greatest/p4p lists are subjective but man you list sucks a$$.

Comment

that’s Marcos Geraldo who boxed mostly at middleweight who took hagler all the way and got wiped out by Thomas hearns.
          Robinson was a lot like Jones in terms of challengers......90% cans and cans I have no interest in.
          I already won lol you could not stump me. I forgot the name of SRL 1st opponent for a min, but could tell you all about the fight. How the hell could we put up a wager??? I clearly did it top of my head and still could answer your questions, you had to run to Boxrec.Enough of this, just go check out some fighters who turned pro before 1990 and then get back to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by HandsofIron View Post
            Duran, the greatest lightweight and arguably the best fighter to ever lace them up didn't even crack your top 15? Now I know these greatest/p4p lists are subjective but man you list sucks a$$.
            Yea its not good that's for sure, but maybe he is a young fan if so we need all we can get.

Comment

• Originally posted by HandsofIron View Post
              Now I know these greatest/p4p lists are subjective but man you list sucks a$$.
              - -Well, he is the plunger man creating vacuums for...yeah, that.

Comment

• [QUOTE=john l;19992101]I already won lol you could not stump me. I forgot the name of SRL 1st opponent for a min, but could tell you all about the fight. How the hell could we put up a wager??? I clearly did it top of my head and still could answer your questions, you had to run to Boxrec.Enough of this, just go check out some fighters who turned pro before 1990 and then get back to me.[/QUOTEI I told you senile fool anytime any place ....you did nothing you just went with two random names that i was not either interested in or looking for.....I could lose you....who beat Johnny bumphus for his world title ? Who did Jerry Coetzee defeat to win the world title ? Now go on the internet and find the right answer lol.
                As I said before who the hell was angott....a super feather who took Robinson a full blown welter the distance twice.....yippe kayee....anytime gumbo

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  - -Well, he is the plunger man creating vacuums for...yeah, that.
                  I have Durán at 4 so read my list properly

Comment

• Originally posted by Sweet Pete View Post
                    You're just throwing random fighters together.
                    That what almost everyone in this thread has done. Maybe only a handful of contributors have actually seen all the fighters they have listed, and maybe even fewer have ever spent time in a gym themselves.

Honestly, these lists are all opinion, but that doesn't mean opinions should go unsubstantiated.

A good example is Pac vs. Floyd. It comes down to opinion: Floyd has the perfect record, and fought defenseively. Pacquiao's record has some worts, but he was faaar more ambitious and daring; while also dispatched opponents brutally.

Is there a right answer? Maybe. But it's fine to also just say it's a difference of opinion.

Who's the best Mexican fighter? On flim, it's Sanchez. But he also has the worst record/legacy of the greats. He also struggled w/ movers more than the others. His career being cut short might hurt his legacy, it might also have saved him from being "exposed". So what makes Olivares better than Chavez, or Canto? There are different ways to interpret greatness, accomplishment, and skill. Even the eye-test has its limitations.

But most folks here are just naming famous Boxers because they're famous. It's a popularity contest, not an honest effort to evaluate skill & achievement, for the purpose of appreciating and understanding the sport.

Again, show me a Light Heavyweight better than TOmmy Loughran, who overcame more adversity. Show me a better fighter than Lomachenko and Duran. These guys aren't being talked about, and being out-ranked by guys who are JV compared to their All-Star status.

Making a good list is actually pretty easy - if you have done the heavy-lifting required to arrive at the point where you actually know what you are talking about.

Comment

iwill be the first to say that Robinson's record is comparatively weak when measured against other ATG's (he also got knocked down A LOT for being such a great fighter!).

But it's not RJJ bad... he was fighting the best usually. And he was fighting very, very often. And he was generally dispatching them violently and with ease.

The problem is, he has almost not ATGs on his ledger. His best win was what? LaMotta VI? Bobo Olson? Randy Turpin? Artie Levine? Kid Gavilan?
                      Really, I don't know. I don't doubt that his regularly doled out impressive performances, but no one picks the Harlem Globetrotters to actually beat an NBA Team.

That's harsh, but Robinson made one attempt at history: to dethrone Light HEavyweight King Joey maxim. And how did that go? Now compare that to Duran vs. Hagler, Greb vs. Tunney, and Conn vs. Louis.

Robinson's legacy, obviously, is easily deflated.

Comment

Working...
                      X