Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would a prime Roy Jones Jr do in today's stacked light heavyweight division?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by future hendrixx View Post

he was ahead on one card. basically losing the fight. so yeah you are fake news. if he didn't fake being hurt he would've met a brutal end because roy was just turning the heat up. stop making up sht.

and he didn't "expose" sht because if he did he wouldn't get his head taken off in one round the next fight. exposed means you have a fighters number and they have you figured out. you can say tarver exposed roy but not griffin. and we know roy cut his prime short losing all that weight.

jones would beat the dog sht out of every LHW today. and stop making griffin out to be some bum. he has two wins over james toney (debate those wins all you want) so that basically gives him a better resume than all those names on your list. griffin was a short slick mofo who could counter punch you to death.
    lol. This just ended dude.

Comment

Not gonna lie, RJJ would get bent over and have a soviet-era train ran all over him. He is an ATG though, just not enough to beat the top guys of today - who would slap him silly. RJJ knows this, that's why he is ducking them and making up excuses.

"I'm too old....err, I don't wanna fight no mo'....umm-umm...." Boo-hooooo, too old my ass

Comment

Beats them all "Easy Work" (Floyd Voice).

Comment

Wow the RJJ dick riding is off the charts in this thread. He was great. Saying he would clean up the LHW division of today is fantasy.

How would he do against Stevenson? Possibly well because I think he would neutralize that left hand quite skillfully.

How would he do against Kovalev? Nobody can say for sure. RJJ might eat a jab and it could wobble him, let alone a right from Kovalev. His chin might hold up but will RJJ be able to maintain his composure and focus after getting hit? Kovalev’s boxing skills are very underrated, he is much more than just a puncher.

What about Gvozdyk? Gvozdyk is skilled with a strong punch. He reminds of Kovalev. He might hang in there skill wise, land and hurt RJJ.

Against Bivol? Not enough for me to base upon. We would have more to judge Bivol with after the Barrera fight. Bivol is a strong puncher and if he touches RJJ he could hurt him.

Against Beterbiev? Beterbiev is a strong puncher, but he is very inactive and might not have the boxing skills to hang in with RJJ, but again this is boxing, a punch might land and hurt RJJ.

RJJ was great, today’s top LHWs are great as well. They have different boxing skills, but have crazy strong punching power. And no matter the skill, anyone eating a few punches to the head from these guys might lose all focus, forget about skills and go into survival mode.
          Last edited by Vlad_; 01-16-2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
            Wow the RJJ dick riding is off the charts in this thread. He was great. Saying he would clean up the LHW division of today is fantasy.

How would he do against Stevenson? Possibly well because I think he would neutralize that left hand quite skillfully.

How would he do against Kovalev? Nobody can say for sure. RJJ might eat a jab and it could wobble him, let alone a right from Kovalev. His chin might hold up but will RJJ be able to maintain his composure and focus after getting hit? Kovalev’s boxing skills are very underrated, he is much more than just a puncher.

What about Gvozdyk? Gvozdyk is skilled with a strong punch. He reminds of Kovalev. He might hang in there skill wise, land and hurt RJJ.

Against Bivol? Not enough for me to base upon. We would have more to judge Bivol with after the Barrera fight. Bivol is a strong puncher and if he touches RJJ he could hurt him.

Against Beterbiev? Beterbiev is a strong puncher, but he is very inactive and might not have the boxing skills to hang in with RJJ, but again this is boxing, a punch might land and hurt RJJ.

RJJ was great, today’s top LHWs are great as well. They have different boxing skills, but have crazy strong punching power. And no matter the skill, anyone eating a few punches to the head from these guys might lose all focus, forget about skills and go into survival mode.
            exactly. you just gave all these guys a punchers chance. meaning even you know RJJ would mop the damn floor with all of them. every opponent has a damn punchers chance.. well maybe not malignaggi.

montell griffin had two wins over james toney (debate those decisions all u want) which basically gives griffin a better resume than all those guys you listed combined. but since RJJ beat the breaks off montell hes now disparaged as a bum.

Comment

Originally posted by future hendrixx View Post

he was ahead on one card. basically losing the fight. so yeah you are fake news. if he didn't fake being hurt he would've met a brutal end because roy was just turning the heat up. stop making up sht.

and he didn't "expose" sht because if he did he wouldn't get his head taken off in one round the next fight. exposed means you have a fighters number and they have you figured out. you can say tarver exposed roy but not griffin. and we know roy cut his prime short losing all that weight.

jones would beat the dog sht out of every LHW today. and stop making griffin out to be some bum. he has two wins over james toney (debate those wins all you want) so that basically gives him a better resume than all those names on your list. griffin was a short slick mofo who could counter punch you to death.
              1) I never claimed or insinuated that Montell Griffin was ever a 'bum'. I have a very strict definition for what constitutes as a bum (BELOW - USABLE - MEASURE) to me. That is: a boxer with less than 12 fights or boxer with 12 or more bouts with 25% losses out of their win/loss career record.

So it was actually to the contrary. I was actually making the point that Montell Griffin was one of the only few boxers Roy Jones Jr ever boxed against that was technically and fundamentally sound from a boxing skills perspective.

2) Roy Jones Jr did get 'exposed'. Even though he made adjustments later on and then managed to beat Montell Griffin. He was losing the early rounds and subsequently had his weaknesses exposed (technical deficiencies). However, he also exposed his own advantages (athletic attributes) that enabled him to eventually defeat Montell Griffin. This is merely constructive criticism without any bias or hate.

3) Roy Jones Jr has beaten no opponent in his career to suggest he can easily, if at all beat the likes of Artur Beterbiev or Oleksandr Gvozdyk. Simply because, Roy Jones Jr has never proven himself by beating opponents with styles that Artur Beterbiev and Oleksandr Gvozdyk use, along with other attributes they possess at light heavyweight. Roy Jones Jr never faced or beat an opponent with the punching power of Artur Beterbiev that was in his prime. Nor did Roy Jones Jr ever beat an opponent in his prime who is as fundamentally sound, fluid, rangy, as good an out-boxer, as good a lateral and in and out mover as Oleksandr Gvozdyk.

Thus, Roy Jones Jr is untested and nothing can be used as a basis / foundation to conclude that he would have much of an easy time against those aforementioned boxers.

History has proven that most of the time, a boxer who is an athletic + technician hybrid (a boxer who possesses the combination of athleticism + technically and fundamentally sound boxing skills) usually beats the pure athlete or the pure boxer. Which is the case with Oleksandr Gvozdyk because he combines athleticism with technical and fundamental boxing skills whilst Roy Jones Jr has always been a pure athlete which puts him at a stylistic disadvantage in this match up.

Likewise, Roy Jones Jr's punch resistance has been questionably suspect and in Artur Beterbiev, he faces the most powerful puncher at light heavyweight he has ever faced. Beterbiev is also very good at cutting the ring off economically and efficiently whilst being in position to land his punches most of the time (like Mikey Garcia). Roy Jones Jr may be able to win some rounds early on, but Beterbiev has tremendous stamina for a power puncher that is able to carry his power to the final rounds / championship rounds. Thus, Roy Jones Jr can't rely on Beterbiev getting tired as the bout goes to the late rounds and simply due to the laws of averages, Roy Jones Jr is likely to eventually get caught by a few power punches from Artur Beterbiev which could be the end for Roy Jones Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
                proof of what moro.nho means?

HAHAHAHA.
                Stick to the topic or get ignored! If you want to call someone the following derogatary terms:

1) Stupid

2) Idiot / Idiotic

3) ****** / ******ed

4) Dumb

5) Moron / Moronic

6) Unintelligent

Be prepared to first take an IQ / intelligent test whilst showing yourself performing the test in video and whilst also showing the test results = IQ points in video. Or prove what your IQ points are in a different way.

Or at the very least, demonstrate how someone you're claiming lacks intelligence, lacks their intelligence. Provide your evidence!

Otherwise, you expose yourself as the unintelligent one.

So are you willing to prove your IQ points or are you willing to drop this point for good?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Objecitivity View Post
                  Stick to the topic or get ignored! If you want to call someone the following derogatary terms:

1) Stupid

2) Idiot / Idiotic

3) ****** / ******ed

4) Dumb

5) Moron / Moronic

6) Unintelligent
                  yeh i didnt call you any of those, i call you jose moro.nho. get with it.

Be prepared to first take an IQ / intelligent test whilst showing yourself performing the test in video and whilst also showing the test results = IQ points in video. Or prove what your IQ points are in a different way.

Or at the very least, demonstrate how someone you're claiming lacks intelligence, lacks their intelligence. Provide your evidence!

Otherwise, you expose yourself as the unintelligent one.

So are you willing to prove your IQ points or are you willing to drop this point for good?
                  i agreed last week but you keep posting this question. Is this part of the test? Did YOU make this test? HAHAHA.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
                    I agree with your point that these kinds of topics are basically fantasy, but just on the physical point. If RJJ was facing these fighters today it's reasonable to suppose that he'd have access to the same sports science knowledge that contemporary fighters enjoy, so perhaps that potential physical advantage wouldn't be so pronounced?

FWIW I think prime RJJ was a cut above and would be a handful in any era, but it's all hypothetical in any case!

Comment

Wtf? 'Y'all musta forgot' how good prime RJJ was, we're talking about an ATG talent. Kovalev and Stevenson would get beat the **** up, we haven't seen enough of Bivol, Beterbiev and Gvozdyk at the highest level so RJJ would obviously be a clear favourite over them as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X