Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do People Think Naseem was "Special?"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again don’t confuse awkwardness with true boxing ability. Hamad did not understand boxing basics

Comment

By the book of training Hamed is a mess. Yet he pulled out fights and titles with his akward style. He simply did incredible things in the ring and his boldness in public helped him to thrive in his nation...…..Rockin'

Comment

He was fun to watch and brought excitement to the sport with his punching power from awkward angles.

Obviously he was a level below the elite like Barrera, though.

Comment

Originally posted by embryo View Post
          Why did Hamed lose this fight, and why did Barrera just beat the **** out of him and dominate? Hamed was watching tapes of Junior Jones beating Barrera and clearly was not preparing for the same fighter that Barrera would be the night of their fight. Big mistake, plus he didn't listen to Manny Stewerd. Naseem is INCREDIBLY overrated as a result of this loss and his immediate retirement. What am I missing, why is this guy held in such high regards in England, just because he's from England or British? Seems like bull**** to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgXJ8xeckNM
          Hamed's resume is the book definition of "setups". He had a VERY carefully crafted career, and Manny Steward was the one who largely avoided fights where he was going to get dominated - Mayweather being one of them.

Comment

--- Tiny Jesus Chavez with a fundamental crouching free punching style had TUE flappin' in the chicken squawkin' style squalin' for his Daddy.

Let's not make out like he's some kind of defensive genius though I hear that brand of koolaide is popular by those bereft of boxing 101 fundamentals.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
              Again don’t confuse awkwardness with true boxing ability. Hamad did not understand boxing basics
              True but he was one of those marvels, like Jones, Ali with incredible speed and power. That buys him a little slack lol.
              Last edited by billeau2; 02-16-2019, 05:26 AM.

Comment

in terms of recognised title defences, he made 2 ibf ones. This is why hes not HoF or elite. 2 defences is nowhere near HoF unless it includes some ATG scalp.

He sadly had that Calzaghe habit of hiding behind an unrecognised title, occasionally winning another but shedding it fast to avoid getting defeated. Its no coincidence that they were managed my Frank Wa$$en.

Still you cant write off all his wbo ones, a few of them were against good opposition too.

Like I say, he couldnt maintain the lie of being "best" once he stepped up and got outclassed horribly, so its small wonder he left the ring.

Now if he'd actually come out and taken a few losses at top level instead of hiding in wbo-land then he'd be more respected, he'd maybe have achieved more and developed....and he'd maybe be a HoF. But big fish in small pool doesnt cut it.
                Last edited by DreamFighter; 02-17-2019, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Notably, his fall from grace, or at least, his failure to comeback, coincided with the Twin Towers attack and the following renewal of American oil invasions in the Middle East. Perhaps he was no longer seen as marketable in the light of both those atrocities.

Another parallel - his failureand perhaps career end like GGG's happened at the first time he fought someone really really good.
                  Last edited by DreamFighter; 02-17-2019, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Hamed was one of the best ever. I have him second next to Roy Jones, and even that one I had difficulty deciding on. His loss to Barrera was because he was done with boxing by that point. He wasn't taking it seriously anymore and had issues outside of the ring. At his best, the dude was a superhero.

Comment

- -Only one loss late in his career and 16-0, 14 KOs in title fights, 17-1 if we count the IBO that dozens of top fighters have held with Barrera being one.

Lineal boys say he held that title before Barrera took it.

84% KO rate prob the highest of feathers and so on and so forth. Beats big dummy Bowes record by a long shot.

Coulda made 201 after retirement to squeegee around to beat Big Dummy as well. Better HOFer than him and will get in eventually once the HOF realizes the $$$ it makes for his inauguration.

Comment

Working...
                      X