The "tainted Mexican beef" excuse is plausible

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "tainted Mexican beef" excuse is plausible

At least in the case of Canelo Alvarez.

The small amounts found in his system were consistent with meat contamination.

And we know that for reasons of greed and profit the Mexican cattle industry is rife with the practice of using steroids with livestock.

Additionally, there have been instances of other Mexican athletes running into the same problem.

WADA drops clenbuterol case against Mexican soccer players
    Mexican beef can be a legitimate excuse for clenbuterol in an athlete's blood sample, the World Anti-Doping Agency said
    https://www.velonews.com/2011/10/new...players_195167

Based on all that I think Canelo's excuse was reasonable. Do you agree?

He looked guilty in presser after the peds news came out

Add together he is jumping through weights. Makes 150 vs floyd, 155 vs khan then is walking through ggg , then jumps to 168, now back down to 160

Which other fighter at the elite level yo-yos between weights like that? No-one.

Comment

There's too many red flags surrounding that situation. Of course it's plausible but the timing of everything was too convenient.

Comment

DOC, do you think we'll ever get the truth about the tainted beef?

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
          He looked guilty in presser after the peds news came out

Add together he is jumping through weights. Makes 150 vs floyd, 155 vs khan then is walking through ggg , then jumps to 168, now back down to 160

Which other fighter at the elite level yo-yos between weights like that? No-one.
          That could just be a natural result of his body growing as he ages. It's not unusual at all to gain weight as you get older.

Comment

and so are father christmas and the tooth fairy

Comment

It could be true.Or he could've been just flat out cheating. We really won't know

Comment

Originally posted by AKAcronym View Post
                There's too many red flags surrounding that situation. Of course it's plausible but the timing of everything was too convenient.
                Exactly. Sorry but the tainted meat excuse doesn't fly considering this is a KNOWN issue with Mexican beef. He has a home in San Diego,CA and should have setup training camp there.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

And we know that for reasons of greed and profit the Mexican cattle industry is rife with the practice of using steroids with livestock.

Additionally, there have been instances of other Mexican athletes running into the same problem.

Mexican beef can be a legitimate excuse for clenbuterol in an athlete's blood sample, the World Anti-Doping Agency said

That wouldn't explain how he looked 5 pounds smaller in the rematch.
                  He had also avoided VADA previously for a 154 fight with fishy statements: "It was no enough time to fully benefit from VADA testing". WTF. More like you need some drugs to make weight...

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

It's plausible, sure. Wouldn't be having this discussion if it weren't. That doesn't necessarily make it true however.

Playing the odds would suggest that there's a higher probably that the tests fell in the 3 or so week window following a course of Clenbuterol taken at therapeutic levels than there is to be caught in the week or 10 days in which a contamination dose would likely be detected. In fact the suggestion would be that Canelo would have had to have eaten the tainted meat within a few days of his tests to get the results he did, which to me seems rather unlucky... of all the days in the year, huh?

I'm also yet to find a sensible explanation for the apparently accelerated elimination of the Clenbuterol from Canelo's urine in between his two failed tests... he could have an exceptionally rapid metabolism, perhaps, but for me that's a very low odds alternative to him having taken measures to flush his system - an action which would, of course, imply he knew the Clenbuterol was there (unless he was maybe flushing for some other reason).

Course - these are both rough and ready approximations of what I think is likely and not a proper probability analysis, and neither provides any kind of hard evidence, so I'm happy to say I just don't know one way or the other.

Gun to head though, I know which I'd pick. As long as the gun to my head wasn't being held by Canelo, that is.
                    Last edited by Citizen Koba; 01-27-2019, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X