No announcement yet.

Knee Injuries

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by todisday View Post
    That's why I switched back to working out, instead of rest. I read somewhere that inactivity weakens the muscles around the knee and can lead to that sort of nagging injury, because basically the knee goes all over the place when it stretches or something. I did spend quite a few months inactive after the whole teaching thing went south again. It might've come back to bite me this time.

So far, I've lost 30 pounds; I'm not looking to go back to resting, but I may adapt by adding cycling in the future. If nothing else works, steroids it is.
    Yes, I noticed this in my own training and had it reinforced by a boxing coach and physical therapists. It's critical to rest the injured area, while working supporting muscles. Keeping the exercise going helps the injury heal (because you're getting circulation) and, as you said, builds the surrounding muscles. Not aggravating the injury is the key. Physical therapists basically make a career of knowing how to do this. There's a lot of good info online that many therapists have posted.

Congrats on losing the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by GAME OVER View Post
      I skate; it’s got the same kind of cardio benefit as running with 50% less impact and uses more different muscles than running or cycling.
      That's a good idea; there aren't any skating areas here that I know of, but if there were, I'd try it. Swimming is also a perfect exercise for anyone recovering from injury. I don't have a pool, but I'd also try that if I could.

I'm kinda stuck with the rougher exercises, but I'm avoiding basketball at least.

Comment

Stop running for now. Swimming or cycling would be less impact.
        My knees won't take the pounding of roadwork anymore, but I can do the elliptical indefinitely with no pain whatsoever and still get my cardio.

Comment

That's a good idea; there aren't any skating areas here that I know of, but if there were, I'd try it. Swimming is also a perfect exercise for anyone recovering from injury. I don't have a pool, but I'd also try that if I could.

I'm kinda stuck with the rougher exercises, but I'm avoiding basketball at least.

You don’t need much space to learn, then you can skate most places.

Comment

If you can afford it or have reliable insurance, go get an MRI. Best to know the extent of the injury. If that is out of the question start an physical therapy type exercise program for the joint. Stick with it beyond where it feels better. I imagine there are physical therapy exercises available on the net.
            Last edited by TBear; 03-17-2019, 12:01 AM.

Comment

You don’t need much space to learn, then you can skate most places.

I'll look into skating, as well! You're right; they could function as a type of alternate exercise

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                If you can afford it or have reliable insurance, go get an MRI. Best to know the extent of the injury. If that is out of the question start an physical therapy type exercise program for the joint. Stick with it beyond where it feels better. I imagine there are physical therapy exercises available on the net.
                Yeah, if it doesn't go away, I will have no choice but to go to a doctor. I have insurance, but visiting a doc takes so long here in the waiting rooms that you're bound to catch a flu making you worse than what you came in like. It's literally 4+ hours of sitting uncomfortably staring at a wall and having people around you coughing/sneezing. That's why I've avoided it, but I'm getting tired of the constant ache. It's not anything huge, but over time it's annoying that it just won't heal. I have a feeling that it probably needs some sort of medication.

Comment

Yeah, if it doesn't go away, I will have no choice but to go to a doctor. I have insurance, but visiting a doc takes so long here in the waiting rooms that you're bound to catch a flu making you worse than what you came in like. It's literally 4+ hours of sitting uncomfortably staring at a wall and having people around you coughing/sneezing. That's why I've avoided it, but I'm getting tired of the constant ache. It's not anything huge, but over time it's annoying that it just won't heal. I have a feeling that it probably needs some sort of medication.
                  An MRI is done at an imaging clinic and you're unlikely to run into sick people there. Medication rarely fixes an injury like yours. Physical therapy almost always helps but the therapists are greatly assisted by MRIs so they can see exactly what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    An MRI is done at an imaging clinic and you're unlikely to run into sick people there. Medication rarely fixes an injury like yours. Physical therapy almost always helps but the therapists are greatly assisted by MRIs so they can see exactly what's going on.
                    I have to get a referral in order to get an MRI; it's some sort of rule here for any procedure, so I don't have a way around the sick people lol.

It doesn't help? Then forget the sick people! I'll just keep working out and hope it fixes itself. Maybe I need 20 more pounds for my leg to wake up

Comment

I've had a bad right knee since I was 12 from playing football and baseball....36 now. Anyways it was torn meniscus never got it fixed it would go out every once and a while swell up like a softball but would go back to normal. But about a month ago it went out and didnt go back to normal. Well the doctor says I have no meniscus left its bone on bone. Going to need full knee replacement surgery.....I walk like a 75 year old man right now. Cant get the surgery till mid June. **** sucks. Working all the overtime I can to save up some money....cause disability pays like ****

Comment

Working...
                      X