Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be your top 10 welterweights of all time ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
    I am not writing he wasn't great. I am just writing that the sample size is too small for me to give him a nod at this weight class. I'd rather reward someone with a track record over a significant amount of fights. If all we are doing is rewarding fighters based on their best few fights (as we seem to do with Duran at welterweight) then we could place DeJesus as a top 20 Lightweight or Baby Arizmendi as a top 5 featherweight (who else could beat Armstrong back to back at that weight).

We are all free to utilize our own criteria, I prefer to rank based off of sustained peak over a significant sample size. Not necessarily 20+ fights, but definitely more than a few.

yeah, dude, I'm just being a dcik. I agree, Duran wasn't relevant enough a Ww to rank him there. I even feel bad ranking Mayweather, but he had many of his most relevant fights north of 135. Actually, if we sent him back in time to fight the greats of that division, he'd be fighting them as a Ww.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
      yeah, dude, I'm just being a dcik. I agree, Duran wasn't relevant enough a Ww to rank him there. I even feel bad ranking Mayweather, but he had many of his most relevant fights north of 135. Actually, if we sent him back in time to fight the greats of that division, he'd be fighting them as a Ww.
      Its the internet and we are talking boxing, half the time we are all jsut being dicks.

I give you credit though, you make me re-think my opinion more than anyone.

Comment

How can you have hearns above Leonard when Leonard beat him him via stoppage.

1 robinson
        2 Leonard
        3 hearns

Then it’s everybody else

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          How can you have hearns above Leonard when Leonard beat him him via stoppage.

1 robinson
          2 Leonard
          3 hearns

Then it’s everybody else
          - -how come you don't have hector camacho over Leonard when he KTFO of Ray?

See how that works?

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
            I don't think so. Overrated is what he is.
            Just like Robinson, Armstrong, Ali, Marciano, Mayweather, Ganz, Jones, Chavez, Spinks, Fitzsimmons.

Plenty of fighters are overrated. Doesn't mean they're not great.

What makes you say napoles (who wasn't fighting above his ideal weight) was "slow"? How does that hinder him against the rest of the division's best?

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

See how that works?
              now you're being obtuse.

Again, I think all lists are dumb - and mine are always the worst. But I rank Hearns over Hagler P4P. Hagler destroyed him (in a war that might've taken more out of Marvin), but career-wise hearns did more. and i don't rank barkley in the top 50. I bet he wouldn't be in the top 100 or 200, if I were that obsessed w/ futility, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                Just like Robinson, Armstrong, Ali, Marciano, Mayweather, Ganz, Jones, Chavez, Spinks, Fitzsimmons.

Plenty of fighters are overrated. Doesn't mean they're not great.

What makes you say napoles (who wasn't fighting above his ideal weight) was "slow"? How does that hinder him against the rest of the division's best?
                Spinks is one of most underrated fighters in P4P sense that I've ever come across. Don't know how he got on a list of overrated fighters. I know this type of thing is subjective but it appears obvious that he is rated properly as a LH (one of the best ever) and criminally underrated as a P4P fighter.

This is not just my opinion. There are a lot of knowledgeable boxing insiders with more experience than I have that share this feeling.

https://www.boxing247.com/news/lotierzo2402.php
                Last edited by TonyGe; 03-03-2019, 10:45 AM.

Comment

See how that works?

Yes because comparing two, way past their prime fighters, to 2 completely in their prime #1, #2 Welters is ****ing ******ed.

You see how that works.

After hearns got stopped by Leonard, the next day did your idiot ass still have hearns at #1..

Did you have Oscar and Camacho as #1, and #2 welters when they fought?

****ing ****** needs to stick to nsb and not history

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    Yes because comparing two, way past their prime fighters, to 2 completely in their prime #1, #2 Welters is ****ing ******ed.

You see how that works.

After hearns got stopped by Leonard, the next day did your idiot ass still have hearns at #1..

Did you have Oscar and Camacho as #1, and #2 welters when they fought?

****ing ****** needs to stick to nsb and not history
                    - -We ain't comparing next day Sugarplum, we're comparing career bests at welter.

Ray had a short prime at welter, 6-1 in title fights. In comparison Manny is 11-3, double that of Ray and did it while serving in Congress, something no fighter in any weight class has ever done.

Also playing/coaching pro basketball, making movies, singing, and so on and so forth.

Comment

- -We ain't comparing next day Sugarplum, we're comparing career bests at welter.

Ray had a short prime at welter, 6-1 in title fights. In comparison Manny is 11-3, double that of Ray and did it while serving in Congress, something no fighter in any weight class has ever done.

Also playing/coaching pro basketball, making movies, singing, and so on and so forth.
                      Ray beat hearns at their peaks, end of story

Comment

Working...
                      X