Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you beat a pressure fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do what you do best! Be first and your rate must be more than his.

Ray
    Last edited by Ray Corso; 10-06-2018, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Do what you best! Be first and your rate must be more than his.

Ray
      ^^^^^^^^^^ This!

Comment

I'm in a similar situation with a guy I'm sparring with. The thing you need to get used to is in boxing is that when you're up against a guy like that, there is no room to stop and analyze and write your dissertation. You gotta react, and think quick, and build up your instincts to be able to automatically endure and eventually overpower him.

You can also try sidestepping when he charges at you, making sure he doesn't trap you in the ropes (that was my problem earlier today). Keep sidestepping, etc., until you trick him into a corner, and then attack and then quickly back away again.

Chargers feed off people who stick around in the same place or corner because they're waiting for that right moment to devour you like a vulture. You gotta know their psychology. You might be more calm and deliberate, but those character traits are not doing you any good when you're up against someone who's trying to murder you. You gotta be think more like them.

With the guy I spar with, I usually start first because my coach always says I gotta make the first move. So I'll start with a jab and try to do some combos and move back, but what keeps getting me is that I end up getting trapped in the ropes and ending up defenseless. You gotta find a way to steer your opponent like a bull, catch him at the right times by the horns, and send him straight to Hell when he's least expecting it.

Comment

Best way to beat a pressure guy is to hurt them and back them up. Cause if they are on the front foot outworking you then there is much more chance of the judges giving them the fight even if you out land them.

Overhand right over the top of his jab or slip his Jan and throw the left hook to the liver.

Comment

Originally posted by TheReadyTimeBoy View Post
            Best way to beat a pressure guy is to hurt them and back them up. Cause if they are on the front foot outworking you then there is much more chance of the judges giving them the fight even if you out land them.

Overhand right over the top of his jab or slip his Jan and throw the left hook to the liver.
            Liver shot will make anyone back up and think twice

Comment

Pressure fighters

Originally posted by CodeBreaker View Post
              I'm the type of boxer/fighter who is very composed, and analyze things first, study body languages, before making my moves and apply my techniques.

My concern right now is, how should I handle a pressure fighter, where in when the opening bell rings, he rushes straight forward, with full aggression, trying to knock me out. How are you going to beat someone like that?

I want to just spam first my jabs, and slip some counter punches, evade, bob and weave, and other defensive tactics, until he starts to gas and calm down. Would that even work?
              A stiff jab will help, but a quick power hand will help more. Counter-punching is the way to go. Combo a stiff GGG-like jab coupled with body shots will help slow 'em down. Erislandy Lara is a guy you really want to study as far as handling pressure fighters without getting into a slugfest.

Comment

Originally posted by CrowsNestWest View Post
                A stiff jab will help, but a quick power hand will help more. Counter-punching is the way to go. Combo a stiff GGG-like jab coupled with body shots will help slow 'em down. Erislandy Lara is a guy you really want to study as far as handling pressure fighters without getting into a slugfest.
                Sometimes you cant avoid it, like Lara-Hurd

Comment

Lara - Hurd

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  Sometimes you cant avoid it, like Lara-Hurd
                  You're talking about Lara on the decline. I'm talking about Prime Lara from a style standpoint, not "Be Exactly Like Lara"

Comment

heres some quality cheese:
                    if you're heavier than him and want him in a corner, with your back to a corner, tie him up with 1 arm behind the head, other arm behind his arm, try to make both your arms meet - clinch him in a bit and simply lean backwards with a good bit of your weight to pull him into the corner. he'll stumble forwards and use lots of energy to regain his footing while you can spin around, facing him and the corner. works best when theres about five feet or a little more so between you and the ringpost, so he can fall or catch himself/use energy.

Comment

When i boxed in the amatuers i used to spar with a stable mate who was a light weight and i was a feather.

He had a never ending gas tank , a solid jaw and good punching power.

He had good foot speed and he was the type to take shots to land his own.

A slugger / pressure fighter

I was lightning fast with good footwork especially going back wards. My punching power wasnt great but my reach was.

Long story short would beat the fock out of me every single time.

All game plans were out the window when he broke defence.

He had my number.

I think the best i did with him was when id just fight him. Fock everything and just fight

He got me with a solid left hook once that it had me hearing whistling for a week when people talked. I didnt know at the time but that was concussion

Comment

Working...
                      X