No announcement yet.

One tweet wiped out $1.3 billion of Snapchat's market value

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One tweet wiped out $1.3 billion of Snapchat's market value

The Snapchat parent’s shares sank as much as 7.2 percent Thursday, wiping out $1.3 billion in market value, on the heels of a tweet from Kylie Jenner, who said she doesn’t open the app anymore. Whether it’s the demands of her newfound motherhood, or the recent app redesign, the testament drew similar replies from her 24.5 million followers. Wall Street analysts too, have begun to notice, citing recent user engagement trends noticed since the platform’s redesign.

Citigroup analyst Mark May downgraded the stock to sell from neutral earlier this week after seeing a “significant jump” in negative reviews of the app’s redesign. He expects the reviews could cause user engagement to fall, hurting financial results.

Meanwhile, as the app takes criticism, Chief Executive Evan Spiegel may become one of the highest paid executives in the U.S. After the company’s IPO last March, Spiegel got a $636.6 million stock grant that will be payable through 2020.

"Still love you tho snap," Jenner hedged in a later tweet.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-in-one-tweet

Somebody explain to me why Snapchat is a publicly traded company. It's an app. These apps come and go. The only social media sites/apps that have shown staying power is Twitter and Facebook (Instagram).

Snap was totally overbought, overpriced and had a horrible ER..

This was a long time coming, shorts were stacking up.

Im just glad that i limit ordered some FB in January and it hit when Snap was on a tear.

Tesla and netflix will be the next to fall

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      Snap was totally overbought, overpriced and had a horrible ER..

This was a long time coming, shorts were stacking up.

Im just glad that i limit ordered some FB in January and it hit when Snap was on a tear.

Tesla and netflix will be the next to fall
      Why Tesla and Netflix? I can understand Snap because there's only so many filters to keep people interested before they get tired of it all. But Tesla and Netflix can continue to expand. Netflix hasn't even gotten into the live streaming market yet.

Comment

The new update is hot garbage so I get it. It'll be back doe, girls love those filters too much & once those filters get better SC is gonna be leading the charge with SM down the road I bet.

They are switching back to the old format next week iirc.

And SC is a big company already & ain't done sh^t yet really so it has insane potential long term. This SM sh^t has cycles from one to the other & idk if SC's time has even truly come yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-in-one-tweet

Somebody explain to me why Snapchat is a publicly traded company. It's an app. These apps come and go. The only social media sites/apps that have shown staying power is Twitter and Facebook (Instagram).
          If I were Snapchat I would have just sold it for a couple billion when they were offered to be bought out.

Vine became obsolete.

like you said the only ones with staying power is Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

When you get a hot app sell it when people offer you the money, snapchat is nothing, they got facebook and instagram live now.

Remember that guy from Groupon they offered to buy his company when it was young and hot several years ago for over 6 billion dollars he refused to sell it because he felt he had an empire and was dreaming of becoming the next steve jobs, his company isnt even that popular anymore and they said he made one of the dumbest business moves ever, should have just sold it.

Comment

Netflix hasn't even gotten into the live streaming market yet.
            Agree. I don't see Netflix going anywhere unless they f#ck up big somewhere along the way. I don't follow stock sh^t anymore, but I'd have trouble believing its still not a long term buy.

Comment

I just got SC a few weeks ago because the girl I'm seeing us a heavy user. I dont see the difference w the new update but I'm a new user.

It ****ing annoys me that the chat messages disappear if you dont save them.

Comment

Why Tesla and Netflix? I can understand Snap because there's only so many filters to keep people interested before they get tired of it all. But Tesla and Netflix can continue to expand. Netflix hasn't even gotten into the live streaming market yet.
                Tesla and Netflix fall is a possiblity but only if there are competitors to wipe them out.

TESLA dominates the Electric car market they basically established brand loyalty similar following to Apple so them falling is unlikely unless there is a huge recall on vehicles and other issues causing bad PR for the company and a competitor comes a long with a cheaper more efficient car and brand marketing.

Netlfix is probably more likely to fall, the reason is Amazon.

Amazon has their own streaming services, and shows, what will happen or could happen is Amazon can out bid for movies and get a contract with certain studios to stream the movies.

Amazon is the biggest threat to netflix. Amazon could even buy out Netflix in the future if Netflix starts dying out and just take the name and market the amazing films and streaming as Netflix by amazon.

Amazon is the biggest powerhouse you can buy sell, and stream. its an all in one marketplace.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  The new update is hot garbage so I get it. It'll be back doe, girls love those filters too much & once those filters get better SC is gonna be leading the charge with SM down the road I bet.

They are switching back to the old format next week iirc.

And SC is a big company already & ain't done sh^t yet really so it has insane potential long term. This SM sh^t has cycles from one to the other & idk if SC's time has even truly come yet.
                  this right here, I dont really use snapchat but everyone was hating on the new update from what I seen.

They never learn, Myspace was king till they switched it up and basically killed themselves lmfao.

Comment

Hence "The pen is mightier than the sword"
                    or in this case "the keyboard...."

Comment

Working...
                    X