Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do boxer punchers generally struggle against speedy swarmers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
    Ask Floyd about fighting Castillo and Madaina
    Floyd is NOT a boxer puncher. Floyd isn't a big puncher and he isn't a boxer boxer either who spams jabs... Floyd is a counter puncher

Comment

Castillo and Maidana aren't swarmers either, they're sluggers, at least Madaina.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugilist89 View Post
        Floyd is NOT a boxer puncher. Floyd isn't a big puncher and he isn't a boxer boxer either who spams jabs... Floyd is a counter puncher
        Floyd isn’t one category. We have terms for this. Floyd is a COMPLETE boxer. It means he can do anything in the ring. PBF wasn’t focused on countering. Post Floyd focused on countering for many reasons, not so much aesthetics.

I’m going to assume you spar. The honest answer is YOUR RING IQ, not A vs B. I’m right handed, but I enjoy Southpaw more. I switch up all the time. If I’m fighting a swarmed, regardless of their stance, I’m usually orthodox. That’s when I can time my time my pot shots and uppercut with my right PREFERABLY. Swarmers are the best workouts, my favorite. Also depends the Ring IQ of the swarmer. Doesn’t matter how good you are if you want to be the “pure boxer” strict-fundamental head in a session, some guys come to fight knowing to offset you. It’s an acknowledgement from you and the other, and in the end, ONLY BENEFICIAL when you apply it to a professional fight or an am fight.

I love to swarm a lot myself. Anchor shots are very efficient when swarming, especially when you got guys on the ropes.

Comment

Fitting thread, I just watched Nate Campbell vs Juan Diaz today. In that case, the boxer puncher beat the crap out of the speedy swarmed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexican Bidness View Post
            Floyd isn’t one category. We have terms for this. Floyd is a COMPLETE boxer. .
            He certainly isn't. He never boxed like a boxer boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugilist89 View Post
              Castillo and Maidana aren't swarmers either, they're sluggers, at least Madaina.
              Maidana was for sure a swarmer vs Mayweather. But anyone attacking a puncher will make it easier for the puncher unless he;s a low level one with no countering ability. Mayweather is hardly a puncher. Actually, he’s not.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                Maidana was for sure a swarmer vs Mayweather. .

No he wasn't. Swarmers are technical. Not brawling, dirty fighters like Maidana..That would be a ... brawler!

I didn't know this was the Floyd Mayweather forum...

Comment

Originally posted by Cypocryphy View Post
                  I think so. The first that comes to mind is Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Marcos Maidana 1.

You can see how Floyd, despite being a AAA boxer, found Marcos to be very difficult.
                  Excellent reference to answer this question. Maidana was very aggressive and I think Floyd just did his best to remain calm, stay defensive, and allow Maidana to expend energy, all the while staying alert for opportunities to counter. Floyd didn't panic or allow Maidana to force him out of his long term fight plan

Comment

A “speedy swarmer” would be prime Mike Tyson while whaling anchor shots that bust through any guard. I’d say a Prime Larry Holmes would’ve peppered that style that night. Your jab also gotta be heavy imo followed by an efficient trap game.

Comment

No, boxer-punchers are Kryptonite for swarmers. They knock them out

Comment

Working...
                      X