Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do boxer punchers generally struggle against speedy swarmers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do boxer punchers generally struggle against speedy swarmers?

I don't mind slow brawlers or swarmers at all. These types give me time to unleash my shots and they just get caught coming in every single time and have to start over...

It's only the explosive, joe frazier esque ones that I can't control. They disrupt my jab and put my reflexes under much more stress than I'm used to. The angles employed also annoy me. It feels like my fundamentals get turned upside down. It's just hard to keep track of everything, I feel.

Is this typically the style of fighting boxer punchers dislike?

Note that I do catch them coming in, but at the end of my punches.... not enough to be safe.
    Last edited by Pugilist89; 08-08-2020, 07:46 PM.

Any fighter who likes time and room to get their shots off is gonna have trouble with someone who can close the distance and force them to fight at a pace they don't like

Comment

Originally posted by TheReadyTimeBoy View Post
      Any fighter who likes time and room to get their shots off is gonna have trouble with someone who can close the distance and force them to fight at a pace they don't like
      Is it better to brawl them instead? Would make it a completely different fight but catching them at the end of my punches isn't that big of a deterrent.

Comment

I think so. The first that comes to mind is Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Marcos Maidana 1.

You can see how Floyd, despite being a AAA boxer, found Marcos to be very difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugilist89 View Post
          Is it better to brawl them instead? Would make it a completely different fight but catching them at the end of my punches isn't that big of a deterrent.
          Whatever is working for you bro...if you're consistently catching these guys coming in or trying to get back out then no need to change up your style right? Don't fix it if it ain't broke. Watch TBE....like him or not that man is a master at making adjustments

Comment

Originally posted by Cypocryphy View Post
            I think so. The first that comes to mind is Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Marcos Maidana 1.

You can see how Floyd, despite being a AAA boxer, found Marcos to be very difficult.
            Not sure what you mean here. Prototypical boxer puncher would be Tommy Hearns.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamer30168 View Post
              Whatever is working for you bro...if you're consistently catching these guys coming in or trying to get back out then no need to change up your style right? Don't fix it if it ain't broke. Watch TBE....like him or not that man is a master at making adjustments
              Yeah but I catch them with arm punches due to the short reaction time and lack of space.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugilist89 View Post
                Not sure what you mean here. Prototypical boxer puncher would be Tommy Hearns.
                Gotcha ... I didn't see the puncher part. I thought you were just asking about boxers versus swarmers. I suppose you could consider Spence vs Porter. Porter gave Spence all kind of problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Cypocryphy View Post
                  Gotcha ... I didn't see the puncher part. I thought you were just asking about boxers versus swarmers. I suppose you could consider Spence vs Porter. Porter gave Spence all kind of problems.

Boxer vs swarmer is actually even worse. Like Ali-Frazier. The only reason Ali did as well as he did is because Frazier was half a fighter with a useless eye, which is also why he was so one dimensional with his shots. Frazier said years later that he couldn't fully use his style because he couldn't see!

Comment

I guess the reason brawling doesn't cross your mind against a swarmer is because a dude with a reach disadvantage shouldn't even get the privilege to brawl..... Swarmers tend to have pretty good power of their own too...and I'm giving away my reach advantage...

Comment

Working...
                    X