No announcement yet.

GGG's competition - how good is it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
    I didn't know you could make the P4P with such a resume and not one notable win.
    Would you put a guy on the pound 4 pound list solely for making over ten defenses of his title? Or 15? No matter the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
      Would you put a guy on the pound 4 pound list solely for making over ten defenses of his title? Or 15? No matter the competition.
      Not when most of those defenses where for the "regular" title when there was a super champion...he has only defended the super title 5 times

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        That's why I'm not really too critical of GGG's talents. I think he's very talented. That resume is foul though and when he's had the opportunity to go after legacy building competition, he did things like fighting a welterweight. That's not even trying.

Still, I think he's like Kovalev in that his ceiling is much higher than his resume implies (that statement will no longer apply to Kovalev in a few weeks through).
        This is true. Many questions will be answered on the 19th. I can't wait!

How do you think GGG would do at 175?

Comment

Originally posted by don larryx View Post
          Not when most of those defenses where for the "regular" title when there was a super champion...he has only defended the super title 5 times
          Yeah but he was so much better than the super champ that he resorted to bribery to avoid the mando

Comment

No! It's like putting Sturm on the p4p list

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              Yeah but he was so much better than the super champ that he resorted to bribery to avoid the mando
              That's not how it works man, the fact remains that he has only defended the true WBA title 5 times

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
                No! It's like putting Sturm on the p4p list
                Hell was Sven Ottke ever on the p4p list?

Comment

This is true. I understand that. I hate that the WBA title is split up like that. Makes a mockery of the whole thing. But who since Hopkins has a had a run like this and won them all by KO? They weren't all great defenses(no reign ever has been throughout the sport's history) but he was so dominant in them that notice has to be taken of that. No other champion out there has won their last 23 straight by KO.

Comment

This is true. Many questions will be answered on the 19th. I can't wait!

How do you think GGG would do at 175?
                    Though I think 175 is too much to speculate right now (having not seen how he fills out at 168), I think he could actually be competitive with a lot of guys at 175, though he'd be under-sized. He'd clean up at 168 today, IMO. At 175, he'd be B-level, beating Pascal, hanging with Fonfara, losing to Ward, Kov, and Stevenson.

Comment

That's not how it works man, the fact remains that he has only defended the true WBA title 5 times
                      I get its gonna be a watered down record, like Hopkins was watered down vs Monzon but most everybody still recognizes it. And I just showed you that here it's morally right, he was the best Wba champ at the time no question. Sturm knew it, top ranked Ndam and Mundine knew it

Comment

Working...
                      X